collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 7 (SEVEN) - 2 Liverpool - post match thread  (Read 76489 times)

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Re: Aston Villa 7 (SEVEN) - 2 Liverpool - post match thread
« Reply #525 on: October 06, 2020, 11:25:40 PM »
It will be.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #527 on: October 07, 2020, 12:34:39 AM »
&t=302s

Different camera angles on this, and it's great.
Agree. It’s really good. With the piped in crowd noise on the commercial TV coverage, it’s difficult to appreciate the lack of any atmosphere in the stadium with no fans. Has much more of a practice match feel to it. Just my opinion and it probably won’t be popular, but I can’t see we’d have got 7 past Liverpool in front of a bouncing full house. Who knows? Strongly suspect the freaky results all round are partially due to lack of crowds. Haven’t been to VP in years, but I reckon when Liverpool dragged it back to 2-1, the crowd would’ve got edgy and the end result may have been somewhat different. I’m just guessing really. But as it stands the records will show Villa 7 - 2 Liverpool. I’ll take that any day of the week! It’s a bit different for me because I can’t go anyway living in Aus, so can only watch on Optus Sport. I do still miss going and it’s a lot harder when we’re doing well, especially after a match like that.

Offline Hillbilly

« Reply #528 on: October 07, 2020, 03:13:33 AM »
Much as I enjoyed this monstering of the champions of the universe, I would have preferred if Man U were the victims.

Offline TelfordVilla

« Reply #529 on: October 07, 2020, 05:31:08 AM »
their turn will come

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #530 on: October 07, 2020, 07:15:34 AM »
I see we’re blaming the lack of fans which spur Liverpool on but on the same note for not getting on our backs so we can flourish?

So is the same reason Liverpool played a very on form Arsenal off the pitch last week.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #531 on: October 07, 2020, 07:33:29 AM »
I think the high scoring and strange results are down to a bunch things, with the lack of crowds being one small part.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #532 on: October 07, 2020, 08:14:21 AM »
I have watched the play off final a few times since we won it.
I think the Liverpool game might get the odd rewatch over the coming months.

Same here. Would love to see any extended highlights like there used to be.

I’m pretty sure you can find the MOTD highlights on the iplayer.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #533 on: October 07, 2020, 08:27:10 AM »
I see we’re blaming the lack of fans which spur Liverpool on but on the same note for not getting on our backs so we can flourish?

So is the same reason Liverpool played a very on form Arsenal off the pitch last week.
Ian with my post, I wasn't blaming anything on anything. Truth is we don't know, maybe the players can explain the freaky results. I know they all come out and say they miss the fans being there and they probably do to an extent. Seems to be a lot less pressure on them now though with an empty ground. With Villa there's a massively high expectation, which if we're honest has probably been unwarranted for much of the last 10 or so years. Just seems to me like it would be a lot less pressure on our team/squad without the fans. It's a weird one, because we all know what it's like when the ground is bouncing and we think we make a difference. Especially when we win. I'm not saying for a minute we wouldn't have won with fans in the ground, just questioning whether it would have been 7-2. Maybe with fans in the ground we'd have got a few more that we maybe should have scored and they'd have got a few more. 12-5 maybe? Who knows - it just seems weird.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #534 on: October 07, 2020, 08:37:53 AM »
And yet we still got smashed 3-0 at home by Manure as standard last season.  It’s too easy to blame lack of crowds.  It’s the same for both sides as well.  Every home crowd in the country gets on their teams backs if they aren’t doing well.  It just so happens it happens to the big teams less as they tend to be winning more often.

I think we’ve just caught a team completely by surprise who looked to me like they thought they just had to turn up for a routine win and we never let them settle for a minute.  If Mane and Alisson would have played I genuinely still think we would’ve won but maybe not by 7-2!

Offline Diplodoshi

« Reply #535 on: October 07, 2020, 08:39:43 AM »
I have watched the play off final a few times since we won it.
I think the Liverpool game might get the odd rewatch over the coming months.

Same here. Would love to see any extended highlights like there used to be.

I was annoyed when they stopped putting extended highlights on YouTube for most of the prem games. Turns out they're now on the VillaTV website instead.

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #536 on: October 07, 2020, 08:50:08 AM »
Whilst I don't fully rule out no crowds being a factor, there are freak results in every season. It is just that they are spread out around the whole season normally.

This link shows games with 9 or more goals in (we make it on there now) and biggest win margins (going down to 7). As you can see that they occur a few times a season for both types of high scoring. The 7 goals scored in a game happen a lot more commonly still. It could well be lots of things happening from the cluster of high scoring games are all at the start, players are not practicing and training the same ways, new players coming in are not bonding properly which would definitely show in defence. And as for Pool, complacency AND their tactics have been found out maybe? Barca was one of the first teams that used to press high and occasionally they would be found out and ship goals as the press failed in games sometimes.

Offline Rico

« Reply #537 on: October 07, 2020, 08:51:27 AM »

Seven!
UTV

Offline Top Cat

• GM : 03.02.2023
« Reply #538 on: October 07, 2020, 09:14:29 AM »
I shall be watching it again today with SOTC. I didn’t record it live but managed to do it at 3.30am when it was on again.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal