collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Liverpool - Sunday 7.15 pm - Pre Match Thread  (Read 11656 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: Aston Villa v Liverpool - Sunday 7.15 pm - Pre Match Thread
« Reply #90 on: October 04, 2020, 12:21:19 AM »
Has to be Trez over Traore but I’d like to see Barkley start, although I don’t think Hourihane deserves to be dropped, just a big difference in class and experience which has to be progress over sentiment.

I do wonder whether DS might throw a curveball and go for 4 midfielders with Barkley starting alongside McGinn and Hourihane with Doug behind and Grealish just off Watkins. Like this:

Doug

SJM         Barkley      Hourihane

Jack

Watkins

Would sacrifice width but then would give licence for the FBs to get forward which is key in this type of game. Liverpool are very strong with whichever three they'll play in midfield.

Probably unlikely as Barkley hasn't played much for Chelsea so match fitness won't be great but he did throw in Drinkwater from the start v Man. City when his match fitness was just as bad as could be expected from a pro player.

Offline Dinas_Caerdydd

« Reply #91 on: October 04, 2020, 12:51:37 AM »
sorry for butting in on a villa thread but how far off is Neil Taylor getting into the first team these days ?

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #92 on: October 04, 2020, 12:57:45 AM »
sorry for butting in on a villa thread but how far off is Neil Taylor getting into the first team these days ?

Not far enough.

Offline WilliamStanding

« Reply #93 on: October 04, 2020, 01:00:42 AM »
Tayls is well off being first team regular, good lad, just not the quality we need.

Offline Dinas_Caerdydd

« Reply #94 on: October 04, 2020, 01:07:02 AM »
Tayls is well off being first team regular, good lad, just not the quality we need.

maybe a move would be best  or is just happy to pick up his wages i guess

not involved in the wales set up these days either all going pear shaped for him it seems

Offline WilliamStanding

« Reply #95 on: October 04, 2020, 01:18:51 AM »
Others take the piss and get personal- see the other post from Paulisugarnuts, he totally gives his all.  He’s definitely an asset to a top 10 championship side and I mean that with the greatest respect.

I’ve met Tayls a couple of times and he’s a top lad.

Offline Dinas_Caerdydd

« Reply #96 on: October 04, 2020, 01:31:33 AM »
Others take the piss and get personal- see the other post from Paulisugarnuts, he totally gives his all.  He’s definitely an asset to a top 10 championship side and I mean that with the greatest respect.

i very rarely look out side the other thread on here so i haven't seen the post from paulisugarnuts  .

would be a good player for us in the championship after all we got another one of yours at left back right now joe bennett and hes bang on average  !

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #97 on: October 04, 2020, 05:39:11 AM »

i very rarely look out side the other thread on here so i haven't seen the post from paulisugarnuts  .

would be a good player for us in the championship after all we got another one of yours at left back right now joe bennett and hes bang on average  !

You haven’t seen a post because there isn’t one fro anyone called pauliesugarnuts. Our resident troll Mr Standing is being a bell end calling him that when he knows better.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #98 on: October 04, 2020, 08:55:36 AM »
Has to be Trez over Traore but I’d like to see Barkley start, although I don’t think Hourihane deserves to be dropped, just a big difference in class and experience which has to be progress over sentiment.

I do wonder whether DS might throw a curveball and go for 4 midfielders with Barkley starting alongside McGinn and Hourihane with Doug behind and Grealish just off Watkins. Like this:

Doug

SJM         Barkley      Hourihane

Jack

Watkins

Would sacrifice width but then would give licence for the FBs to get forward which is key in this type of game. Liverpool are very strong with whichever three they'll play in midfield.

Probably unlikely as Barkley hasn't played much for Chelsea so match fitness won't be great but he did throw in Drinkwater from the start v Man. City when his match fitness was just as bad as could be expected from a pro player.

I thought maybe this. Maybe one of the issues preventing it, is there attacks tend to start from their full backs, so our wide men potentially have a very big job, so pulling everything into the middle may play into their hands?

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #99 on: October 04, 2020, 09:03:09 AM »

He is perfect for a Steve Bruce side mate.  Way too defensive going forward and not particularly great at defending. Often goes missing.  It comes to something when a fairly ordinary Matt Targett is streets ahead of him.  Villa's weakest area. 

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #100 on: October 04, 2020, 09:05:48 AM »
There's rightly a bit optimism about this one. McGinn is starting to look like his old self, Grealish is playing well and Watkins is due a goal in the league. With Mane being out, it's a good chance for us. That's said, I'll for 2-2.

Online Baldy

« Reply #101 on: October 04, 2020, 09:32:10 AM »
Same starting eleven as against Fulham but use of our substitutes paramount.

Something like, Ross Barkley on for Hourihan after 60 minutes and Traore on for Trez after 70 minutes. One other substitution when and as required. Game management so important against this lot. They always come strong at the end.

Also, the ultimate test for our focus and concentration.

We can do it.

1-1.  :)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #102 on: October 04, 2020, 09:47:07 AM »
They key to their success has been not having probably the best front three in Europe miss many games, so it'll be interesting to see how they cope without Mane, who I think is the best of the three.

Online manic-road

« Reply #103 on: October 04, 2020, 09:58:08 AM »
I'm optimistic of a 1-1 draw, Watkins to score.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #104 on: October 04, 2020, 10:01:38 AM »
They key to their success has been not having probably the best front three in Europe miss many games, so it'll be interesting to see how they cope without Mane, who I think is the best of the three.

He certainly is, I can’t think of a better player in the world pound for pound at the minute, it’s a massive boost that he’s out.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal