collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 01:39:14 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:35:13 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:27:21 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ducksworthy
[Today at 01:01:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 01:00:58 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 01:39:14 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:35:13 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 01:31:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:27:21 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Nev
[Today at 01:18:45 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:17:42 PM]

Re: Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 01:05:47 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Fulham 0-3 Aston Villa Post match thread  (Read 17490 times)

Offline fbriai

• GM : 31.01.2022
Re: Fulham 0-3 Aston Villa Post match thread
« Reply #180 on: September 29, 2020, 07:41:53 AM »
Watkins impressed me massively tonight. Finishing aside, not seen a striker work the channels, run so much, and generally bully a back 4 like that up front for Villa for years.

Completely agree. He's got so much running in him. I was surprised how much he won in the air too. There were also a couple of times he took the ball down really well and immediately brought other players into the game. Takes up superb positions, finds space, gets round of the back of the defence. Defends from the front. Links up well with Jack. He could easily have had three last night. Going to be a star player for us.

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #181 on: September 29, 2020, 07:53:45 AM »
Maybe because Doug had an off game there was a lack of controlling possession.  We don’t seem to tackle a lot ? 

Offline Grocer

« Reply #182 on: September 29, 2020, 07:57:52 AM »
Anybody else think the criticism of Targett is both predictable and excessive?

No. He is terrible.
Yes, terrible. And it’s not one game either - been saying it since last season.
His job, first and foremost is to defend, not look fancy doing cheeky one/twos with Jack on the touch line. You could drive a bus through the gap between him and the guy he should be closing down. If he can’t stop Fulham’s supply line, we’re in for a rude awakening on Sunday when he’s up against Trent Alexander-Arnold.
I’d love to play that game back and see how many successful attempts at blocking a cross he made. From memory, it was one.... with his arse. Even Mings was heard screaming at him at one point.
I’d play him again against Stoke and stick Freddie at LB against Liverpool. Guilbert is the best option we currently have for that position, even as a right footer.

How do you know? Yes, Fulham swung plenty of balls into our box, but I don't recall him being skinned for any that they pulled back from the byline, they were almost entirely all hopeful lobs in from 30 yards back up the touchline towards one bloke being more than ably marshalled. To me that looked like a calculated tactic, and with it we pretty much negated their primary weapon. They couldn't turn us and Mitrovic wasn't coming on to anything, all his ammunition had no pace and was coming from behind him.

I agree, I think this is a tactic we use regularly - I noticed it last season also.

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #183 on: September 29, 2020, 07:58:37 AM »
Was that there or Loftus Road?

We beat them once at Loftus Road, 2-1, Angel and Vassell where Bocanegra tried to remove Delaney’s (?) shin.

Was there that night - couldn’t see the back of the net :-) good old Loftus Road!!

That assault by Bocanegra is one of the very worst tackles I’ve ever seen live....may he rot

Offline charleeco7

« Reply #184 on: September 29, 2020, 08:00:59 AM »
thought we did okay - gave the ball away too much, and Watkins on the last 2 games I have seen is not a centre forward, he lacks the physical presence to play that position

If we could sign Mitrovic - for me he would be ideal.

Really? He’s a horrible fat lump that would offer nothing to the way we play. Watkins on the other hand holds the ball up well, has pace in droves and opens up space for others. He will get 10 to 15 goals this season once he gets going.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #185 on: September 29, 2020, 08:01:10 AM »
... Only worry is Watkins no way is he a 30 million pound striker.
I'd reserve judgement on that, if I were you.
The guy looks quality and just needs to relax into his goal attempts.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #186 on: September 29, 2020, 08:05:52 AM »
Watkins is an improvement on Davi(e)s, Wes and Samatwogoal.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #187 on: September 29, 2020, 08:08:26 AM »
Anybody else think the criticism of Targett is both predictable and excessive?

No. He is terrible.
Yes, terrible. And it’s not one game either - been saying it since last season.
His job, first and foremost is to defend, not look fancy doing cheeky one/twos with Jack on the touch line. You could drive a bus through the gap between him and the guy he should be closing down. If he can’t stop Fulham’s supply line, we’re in for a rude awakening on Sunday when he’s up against Trent Alexander-Arnold.
I’d love to play that game back and see how many successful attempts at blocking a cross he made. From memory, it was one.... with his arse. Even Mings was heard screaming at him at one point.
I’d play him again against Stoke and stick Freddie at LB against Liverpool. Guilbert is the best option we currently have for that position, even as a right footer.

The defensive side of it can be subjective, as the modern fullback plays in a different way to the traditional one whose sole purpose was not to get beaten by the opposing winger.

They generally play higher - and that will lead to people getting in behind.  Kyle Walker was as good a fullback as he had in recent years and you could see the attacking quality from the outset. But he was caught out on plenty of occasions.

It's often risk and reward now - you hope the attacking fullback has enough quality or ties up the opposition winger enough to offset the few times he's caught out - and even the very best ones do get caught high. With Targett, the current problem is as well as being a liability defensively he isn't offering a whole pile in the final third either.  His distribution tonight - when we were 2-0 and cruising - was also shocking. Just miscuing simple passes under no pressure.

I still think there's quality there. And if we played a formation where he became the free man either in a back three or wide of the left in midfield, he could be effective for us. But he shouldn't be starting at fullback.

I think he's hopeless defensively.

I take your point about the modern full back and leaving space etc, and he's useful going forward, but he's a defensive horror show

Seems churlish to be talking about this the day after winning 3-0 away from home, but he looks hopeless to me.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #188 on: September 29, 2020, 08:17:28 AM »
I was really impressed with our cohesion, workrate and speed on the break.
I was slightly concerned by our willingness to give up possession and drop deep. And by the way we allowed the oppo to swing in so many crosses; fortunately, Mitrovic is a one-trick pony and did not profit from them.
Cash, Konsa and Mings all played really well (although the latter needs to get out of the way of shots from outside the box and let his keeper deal with them).
The midfield three were excellent as a unit (although Hourihane defensively is inept); great to have our McGinn back. The front three were also hardworking and effective.
Watkins will become a force to be reckoned with, I think.
Traore showed 2-3 real glimpses of quality in his vision for a pass.
Big shout-out to Trez for the effort and persistence he showed throughout.

For the next game, game management and discipline will be key.

I'm hoping a left-sided MF comes in before the window shuts. I'd also like to see who else could play at LB - is there someone from the academy - or, indeed, Freddie - who could do it?

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #189 on: September 29, 2020, 08:20:23 AM »
Watkins impressed me massively tonight. Finishing aside, not seen a striker work the channels, run so much, and generally bully a back 4 like that up front for Villa for years.

Completely agree. He's got so much running in him. I was surprised how much he won in the air too. There were also a couple of times he took the ball down really well and immediately brought other players into the game. Takes up superb positions, finds space, gets round of the back of the defence. Defends from the front. Links up well with Jack. He could easily have had three last night. Going to be a star player for us.

Agree. Watkins runs the line really well, linking up play, bringing others into play, he also made some great runs that grealish didn’t find, but hopefully will as we play more games. He just needs a premier league goal and he’ll be up and away.
Wes took till Xmas to even look remotely like he knew how to run the line and Samatta never looked like it.
If some don’t see Watkins as a striker they must be looking for something very different in their forward.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #190 on: September 29, 2020, 08:24:55 AM »

Agree. Watkins runs the line really well, linking up play, bringing others into play, he also made some great runs that grealish didn’t find, but hopefully will as we play more games. He just needs a premier league goal and he’ll be up and away.
Wes took till Xmas to even look remotely like he knew how to run the line and Samatta never looked like it.
If some don’t see Watkins as a striker they must be looking for something very different in their forward.

Absolutely agree with this, I'm amazed that any Villa fan would have watched him last night and not be exited by what he brings to the team.

Offline itbrvilla

• GM : 16.02.2022
« Reply #191 on: September 29, 2020, 08:28:10 AM »
Great result. My main concern is that we always appear to allow so many crosses into the box. But otherwise a solid performance. Keep it up.

Online maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #192 on: September 29, 2020, 08:37:17 AM »

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #193 on: September 29, 2020, 08:58:22 AM »

Absolutely agree with this, I'm amazed that any Villa fan would have watched him last night and not be exited by what he brings to the team.

Yep, lunacy.  Before the season started I had a mild concern that he'd be a limited Championship tap in merchant, who if it wasn't being served up on a plate for him, would be of no use. *Cough, Hogan, cough* But I've been very impressed with all his round game. He's quick and strong, and links up well with those around him.  He was an integral part of the build up for the second goal.  He's possibly guilty of trying a bit too hard at the moment, but you can see that the lad's going to be very good once they start flying in for him.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #194 on: September 29, 2020, 09:02:43 AM »
I still think there's a slight hangover from last season's forward-less team for our other players to have a go rather than look for Watkins. That said, he probably should have scored last night.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal