collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 1-0 Sheffield United Post Match Thread  (Read 21224 times)

Online Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
Re: Aston Villa 1-0 Sheffield United Post Match Thread
« Reply #165 on: September 21, 2020, 10:31:21 PM »
I felt bad for Egan for a second as if that had been given against us I'd be really fcuked off but then I remembered in the corresponding game in June when Egan grabbed hold of gentle Keinan all the fcuking time without punishment.

Don’t start talking sense or you get attacked.

You’re not a villa fan if you give opinion.

Please let's not go down that road.

Dave, 100% this, but let’s not ignore the fact that once again the gang mentality on here once again attempting to bully certain posters out with an agenda as their “mates “ have thrown their dummies out.

You guys have been immense lately for anticipating this and it’s well acknowledged.

Jesus we have won a game, let’s be joyous.

Your posts are provocative and you disagree for the sake of it.  Whilst this continues to happen, you will be called out.  Mary, Argie, drunk/high.  All words used by you this evening against other posters so be respectful and you get it back. 

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024

Online Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #167 on: September 21, 2020, 10:37:16 PM »
Reading some of these comments, we did win didn’t we ffs? It’s our first game of the season when most teams have played 2 games already. We have  three players making their debuts and a player who was everyone’s favourite still getting up to speed after a long injury break. When did we last win our first game of the season in the premier league and keep a clean sheet. Jeez.

15/16.......!

Yes.  Although at home it’s 2011 3-1 Blackburn

One of Gabby's best goals for us that day, IIRC.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019

Online olaftab

« Reply #169 on: September 21, 2020, 10:48:39 PM »
We’ve spent getting on for £200 million in the past year or so and we still have Neil Taylor on the bench. Criminal.
More worrying is we have Targett on the pitch.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #170 on: September 21, 2020, 10:48:51 PM »
I'm a Uefa B level coach. One of the exercises we did when doing the badge was playing against 10 men who sit deep. You play wide to get behind teams and stretch the pitch.  Play quick and  keep the ball  moving quickly. Switch play to move the opposition and tire them. It's  obvious really, but just as last season in the same position we did none of the above. I find it incredibly at this level that Deano and his coaching team can't see that. Glad for 3 points, truly dreadful performance against 10 men.

Think they do see it but for whatever reason the players always seem to panic with the pressure of having to win the game and forget to do the basics of playing v 10 men as you say so our moves easily break down.

Having quicker players would help to get in behind deep defences (I remember Adama last year killing Man. City when they only had 10 men) so hopefully next team we face opponents with one less player Traore and Rashica will be on the pitch for us.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #171 on: September 21, 2020, 10:51:44 PM »
Highlights:
https://www.skysports.com/football/a-villa-vs-sheff-utd/report/428848

Cheers! Great save but the penalty highlights one of my bug bears which is defenders not following in on penalties against us. It's not just our players who are guilty of it as it seems fairly prevalent these days.

Online nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #172 on: September 21, 2020, 10:53:30 PM »
I will always be grateful for the 3 goals he scored at the end of last season but Trezeguet really is a dreadful footballer.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #173 on: September 21, 2020, 10:55:15 PM »
We've not conceded a goal in the  last 270 minutes of football. It's a bloody miracle!

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #174 on: September 21, 2020, 10:55:29 PM »
I will always be grateful for the 3 goals he scored at the end of last season but Trezeguet really is a dreadful footballer.

He just hasn't got enough skill or pace to be a good Premier League forward player. He can't beat a man, so resorts to kick and rush which he isn't very good at.  He's got a decent shot on him but that's not really enough in itself.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #175 on: September 21, 2020, 10:55:44 PM »
Highlights:
https://www.skysports.com/football/a-villa-vs-sheff-utd/report/428848

Cheers! Great save but the penalty highlights one of my bug bears which is defenders not following in on penalties against us. It's not just our players who are guilty of it as it seems fairly prevalent these days.

Problem is VAR would just show up that and would say to ref to take it again if they ran into the box too quickly and cleared the ball from the rebound.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #176 on: September 21, 2020, 10:57:18 PM »
Just catching up but delighted we got the win. Sending off looks harsh to me, had it been the other way I’d have been annoyed.

Regardless of performance playing against 10 men has proved tough for this team, Sheffield Utd have about as good an organisation defensively as we’ll come across so a win is huge to start us off.

Small steps but an imo an improvement from last season in several areas. UTV.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 11:37:21 PM by OzVilla »

Online olaftab

« Reply #177 on: September 21, 2020, 10:59:09 PM »
We've not conceded a goal in the  last 270 minutes of football. It's a bloody miracle!
How did you arrive at that? We conceded against Burton and West Ham. Unless you are only counting home games?

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #178 on: September 21, 2020, 10:59:40 PM »

I was astonished to learn that not only was Trez our quickest player last year, one of his sprints was 3rd quickest by anyone across the season. He bloody well hides it well.

He just hasn't got enough skill or pace to be a good Premier League forward player. He can't beat a man, so resorts to kick and rush which he isn't very good at.  He's got a decent shot on him but that's not really enough in itself.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #179 on: September 21, 2020, 11:09:03 PM »
I know it was against ten men so made somewhat easier, but our ball retention and passing was significantly better than we saw for almost the entirety of last season.

In other positives, I genuinely think Konsa has a great career ahead of him, he really looks the part.

The goalkeeper looked superb, despite a nagging feeling i was being harsh on him, I always felt nervous when Nyland was in goal for us. Martinez has got off on exactly the right note.

Defensively we looked - with the exception of Targett - solid (although we risk getting ourselves into trouble by being over-clever a bit too often).

Trezeguet is, I think a very inconsistent player, but he works very hard indeed. Cash has bags of pace and looked assured.

Grealish didn't have one of his best games, Luiz i thought played very well. McGinn, though, looked largely anonymous to me.

Three points is great to start the season with, and whatever we think about Sheffield United they're a doggedly difficult side to beat at the best of times.

Of concern was we still look like we desperately need an injection of pace, we're still very one-paced. We also really struggle to find the spark to finish off good spells of possession. I dont know if Rashica and/or Traore will address these issues, but I hope we do.

Also slightly concerned that much of our squad is taken up with players who really aren't good enough - Davis, Lansbury, Jota, for example. I'd like to see some of these moved on and replaced with improvements.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal