collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by frank black
[Today at 01:19:41 PM]

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by eamonn
[Today at 01:18:48 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 01:17:43 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 01:17:12 PM]

Re: FFP by astonvilla82
[Today at 01:15:24 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 01:08:06 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by chrisw1
[Today at 01:04:38 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[Today at 01:03:39 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 1-0 Sheffield United Post Match Thread  (Read 20960 times)

Offline stevo_st

• GM : 27.07.21
Re: Aston Villa 1-0 Sheffield United Post Match Thread
« Reply #180 on: September 21, 2020, 11:11:54 PM »
Agree with all that - except I think Davis is worth having in the squad

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #181 on: September 21, 2020, 11:12:54 PM »
I just don't get why Targett is preferred over Guilbert.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #182 on: September 21, 2020, 11:13:46 PM »

He's not, though

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #183 on: September 21, 2020, 11:16:12 PM »

He's not, though

Not positionally, but we've splashed out big for a replacement for Guilbert, when Targett in my opinion is a weaker player.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #184 on: September 21, 2020, 11:16:35 PM »
I like the idea of going into our second league game vs Fulham with at least one new player in Traoré and hopefully two if we can someone else through the door. We need to get faster and Traoré will give us that.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #185 on: September 21, 2020, 11:19:34 PM »

He's not, though

Not positionally, but we've splashed out big for a replacement for Guilbert, when Targett in my opinion is a weaker player.

Ah, I see what you mean.

Ideally it'd be nice to have two decent options in each position. Targett or Taylor does seem a poor selection. Mind you, Guilbert and Cash is much better and I wish we'd move on Elmo rather than Guilbert.

Offline Nii Lamptey

« Reply #186 on: September 21, 2020, 11:20:12 PM »

He's not, though

He's this transfer window's equivalent of last season's 'Only signing one striker' shennanigans. If we play Targett as first choice LB for the course of this season, he's going to cost us double figures in points. Our weakest link by far.

An out of position Guilbert would be a better option at  LB imo.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #187 on: September 21, 2020, 11:21:58 PM »
Fucking hell Wilder is a whinging ******. I have lost all respect for him. Apparently Egan  was no way red and Targett should have been sent off.

Hate to say it but he's got a point about Targett and that double jeopardy sending off rule. Hard to make a case that he was making a genuine challenge for the ball when the ball was nowhere near him

« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 11:24:22 PM by sickbeggar »

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #188 on: September 21, 2020, 11:22:45 PM »
I will always be grateful for the 3 goals he scored at the end of last season but Trezeguet really is a dreadful footballer.

He's absolutely shocking. He hasn't a single attribute that's at the required level to play in this division. Reminds me of Andi Weimann but arguably less effective.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 11:25:53 PM by brontebilly »

Offline thick_mike

• GM : 26.02.2025
« Reply #189 on: September 21, 2020, 11:23:59 PM »
One thing I’ve noticed is that Jack really trusts Davis. When he came on, Jack immediately started playing passes to him in tight situations, knowing Keinan would hold the ball, or lay it off. He didn’t play balls like that to anyone before Davis came on.

Offline Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #190 on: September 21, 2020, 11:25:16 PM »
I can’t believe the people moaning.

It was one way traffic. Apart from the penalty the opposition never looked remotely like scoring.

Yes, we were one dimensional in our one way traffic, but like last year, we are rated by many to be relegation favourites.

A bit of pace with Traoré and hopefully another outlet will work wonders; watching us trying to walk the ball into the net was rather frustrating.

My main beef was lack of game management yet again by Smith with 15 minutes to go. I can only think he wanted to give the majority of players out there game time for fitness and saw that there was no way Sheffield would score.

Since the Wesley and Heston injuries, I now wince anytime one of our players is clattered. Going to be a long season!

Offline maidstonevillainjunior

« Reply #191 on: September 21, 2020, 11:26:02 PM »
I'll be honest I didn't know what to expect of Cash but he looked quality tonight. I'd say the same about Watkins too, shame he didn't manage a goal or assist but second half he was in a lot of the right places at the right times which is reassuring, definitely got a lot of room to grow. You could tell he as well as others were expecting a goal from him, and were disappointed that nothing came of any of the chances we had. But goes to show that the team are looking forward to a not-mediocre season like last year, if you can qualify last year as only "mediocre".

Those two new signings aside... MARTINEZ - WHAT A MAN. Goes to show what being a Villa fan is like when as soon as the ref pointed to the spot, I was thinking, "okay so we just need two goals to win." Didn't have much to do tonight but already worth his fee as far as I am concerned with the work he did.

Offline WilliamStanding

« Reply #192 on: September 21, 2020, 11:32:10 PM »
I can’t believe the people moaning. I’m

Offline FatSam

« Reply #193 on: September 21, 2020, 11:35:37 PM »
Ideally it'd be nice to have two decent options in each position. Targett or Taylor does seem a poor selection. Mind you, Guilbert and Cash is much better and I wish we'd move on Elmo rather than Guilbert.
I don’t understand how we couldn’t get a reliable left back for the money that we paid for Targett. Guilbert on the other side isn’t perfect, but cost about a third of the price. Guilbert seems to have been scouted, and I can’t help thinking that there must be better options than Targett out there. I can really see why him and Taylor get switched depending on the opposition, because both have glaring weaknesses.

Offline FatSam

« Reply #194 on: September 21, 2020, 11:39:46 PM »
I will always be grateful for the 3 goals he scored at the end of last season but Trezeguet really is a dreadful footballer.
Agreed. I thought he looked a limited player when playing for Egypt in the World Cup in Russia. I‘ve been pleasantly surprised by his goal return considering how out of his depth he looks a lot of the time. At least he looks like he is putting a shift in.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal