collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 1-0 Sheffield United Post Match Thread  (Read 21382 times)

Offline WilliamStanding

Re: Aston Villa 1-0 Sheffield United Post Match Thread
« Reply #150 on: September 21, 2020, 09:48:35 PM »
Dreadful performance but got the win. Martinez made a great save from the penalty and looked very assured in air and with his feet. Very very little to get enthused about that aside. So much to complain about but our inability in last 15 minutes to find a colleague with a throw in really took the piss. Davis was standing about 10 yards from Cash each time but he couldn't seem to find him!

Some age old problems. Is there another team where three of the back four are at fault for a penalty? Smith using only one sub, somehow Hourihane first man off leaving McGinn and Trez to stink out the 90 mins plus. Targett remains a glaring liability on the left but wasn't helped by our captain deciding to play where he wanted in the second half leaving the left flank free. Even the pitch seemed a bit dry? Ball certainly didn't zip around.

Martinez 7, Cash 6, Konsa 6, Mings 6, Targett 3, Luiz 6, Hourihane 6, Trez 2, McGinn 4, Grealish 6, Watkins 5. Davis 7.

Are you high / drunk ?

Yes we were slightly taxing against 10 men but Jesus we were up against one of the tightest teams in the league, our first league game, no fans, new players.

In Smithy we trust.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #151 on: September 21, 2020, 09:49:46 PM »
I'm a Uefa B level coach. One of the exercises we did when doing the badge was playing against 10 men who sit deep. You play wide to get behind teams and stretch the pitch.  Play quick and  keep the ball  moving quickly. Switch play to move the opposition and tire them. It's  obvious really, but just as last season in the same position we did none of the above. I find it incredibly at this level that Deano and his coaching team can't see that. Glad for 3 points, truly dreadful performance against 10 men.
dv that's good information especially for lay people like me who spend the entire match just ball watching. However if that's the attacking strategy surely there must be a counter strategy to it that defending teams can deploy?

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #152 on: September 21, 2020, 09:54:31 PM »
I felt bad for Egan for a second as if that had been given against us I'd be really fcuked off but then I remembered in the corresponding game in June when Egan grabbed hold of gentle Keinan all the fcuking time without punishment.

Offline Skerra

« Reply #153 on: September 21, 2020, 09:55:32 PM »
The real positive I take from the match is Martinez and the team keeping a clean sheet. Confidence builds so much, throughout the team, when they see such a good keeper and, with the exception of Targett, a solid looking defence. As someone else pointed out, Jack rarely has a good game when the England manager turns up. Both he and Luiz(who was excellent, need to have more shots on goal. Big if, but if we can get another couple of players with pace, I think we will have the makings of a really good team. As much as I moan sometimes, 3 points is a good start. Any type of win at Fulham will be exactly what the doctor ordered. Sometimes it’s just frustration for the team that I love.

Offline WilliamStanding

« Reply #154 on: September 21, 2020, 09:59:12 PM »
I felt bad for Egan for a second as if that had been given against us I'd be really fcuked off but then I remembered in the corresponding game in June when Egan grabbed hold of gentle Keinan all the fcuking time without punishment.

Don’t start talking sense or you get attacked.

You’re not a villa fan if you give opinion.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #155 on: September 21, 2020, 10:00:39 PM »

Please let's not go down that road.

Online Taylor

« Reply #156 on: September 21, 2020, 10:12:19 PM »
It pleases me that this was supposedly the most entertaining weekend of premier league football ever, and yet our game stunk the place up. Have that yer Sky bastids!!

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #157 on: September 21, 2020, 10:17:10 PM »
Easy win. Tough to break them down which highlights a need for more creative players.

I still don't understand why we didn't take out shots from distance as we've personnel to do it.

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #158 on: September 21, 2020, 10:19:45 PM »
Dreadful performance but got the win. Martinez made a great save from the penalty and looked very assured in air and with his feet. Very very little to get enthused about that aside. So much to complain about but our inability in last 15 minutes to find a colleague with a throw in really took the piss. Davis was standing about 10 yards from Cash each time but he couldn't seem to find him!

Some age old problems. Is there another team where three of the back four are at fault for a penalty? Smith using only one sub, somehow Hourihane first man off leaving McGinn and Trez to stink out the 90 mins plus. Targett remains a glaring liability on the left but wasn't helped by our captain deciding to play where he wanted in the second half leaving the left flank free. Even the pitch seemed a bit dry? Ball certainly didn't zip around.

Martinez 7, Cash 6, Konsa 6, Mings 6, Targett 3, Luiz 6, Hourihane 6, Trez 2, McGinn 4, Grealish 6, Watkins 5. Davis 7.

Are you high / drunk ?

Yes we were slightly taxing against 10 men but Jesus we were up against one of the tightest teams in the league, our first league game, no fans, new players.

In Smithy we trust.

My trust in Smithy wouldn't be water tight to start with....He has a long standing issue for me with game management, tactical changes, subs and timing of them. No issue with the starting eleven but there's no way Hourihane should have been first man off ahead of Trez and McGinn. We had two subs left but didn't use them to kill time when under pressure. I fail to see why he retains faith in Matt Targett either. Absolute priority position for us to strengthen, as evidenced yet again tonight.

Offline stevo_st

• GM : 27.07.21
« Reply #159 on: September 21, 2020, 10:23:25 PM »
Easy win. Tough to break them down which highlights a need for more creative players.

I still don't understand why we didn't take out shots from distance as we've personnel to do it.

It was frustrating as hell, but always seemed like the lay off pass wasn't quite there and forced us to take an extra touch before taking a shot.
Bit of rustiness in the all important final third

Offline WilliamStanding

« Reply #160 on: September 21, 2020, 10:24:06 PM »

Please let's not go down that road.

Dave, 100% this, but let’s not ignore the fact that once again the gang mentality on here once again attempting to bully certain posters out with an agenda as their “mates “ have thrown their dummies out.

You guys have been immense lately for anticipating this and it’s well acknowledged.

Jesus we have won a game, let’s be joyous.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #161 on: September 21, 2020, 10:26:10 PM »

Not getting enough attention recently?

Bless.

Offline WilliamStanding

« Reply #162 on: September 21, 2020, 10:28:31 PM »

Not getting enough attention recently?

Bless.

Rest my case.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #163 on: September 21, 2020, 10:28:54 PM »
Enough, everybody.

Offline exigo

« Reply #164 on: September 21, 2020, 10:30:42 PM »
Only one team in the Premier League yet to concede a goal this season.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal