collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:32:48 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Paul.S
[Today at 07:27:19 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by VillaTim
[Today at 07:23:43 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:23:42 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[Today at 07:22:15 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:20:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 07:17:32 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:02:54 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Final League Position  (Read 19782 times)

Offline wittonwarrior

Re: Final League Position
« Reply #180 on: December 26, 2020, 09:28:02 PM »
Got to say gave a difficult last month to the season

Offline FatSam

« Reply #181 on: December 26, 2020, 09:54:43 PM »
After 12 games we're actually currently on more points than all 3 seasons when we finished 6th under MON.
From memory, we always used to be in the hunt for the CL places until the last 10 or so games back then, without really troubling the leaders. After such a positive start it would be great to avoid the kind of slump that we have experienced at some point in each of DS’s previous seasons. I don’t think we are in a false position right now, because we look so accomplished, although having the games in hand makes it a bit difficult to tell.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #182 on: December 26, 2020, 10:01:47 PM »
Let's just remember that we would have been selling our first-born for tenth place at the start of the season and not get too upset if that's where we finish.

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #183 on: December 26, 2020, 10:09:36 PM »
Simply finishing in the top half would be a great sign of progress but by the week I’m increasingly convinced this group is capable of more.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #184 on: December 26, 2020, 10:12:30 PM »
I'm absolutely not getting carried away with this team but let's not forget that no one expected Leicester to win the league...

Offline FatSam

« Reply #185 on: December 26, 2020, 10:46:11 PM »
We’ll certainly have a better idea of where we are going to finish after the next four games; Chelsea, Man U, Spurs and Everton. I agree that top half would be an encouraging improvement on last season, and I certainly wouldn’t be disappointed with that. Whilst I hope we avoid a slump, I appreciate that it’s pretty impossible to perform as well as we have over a whole season - Leeds being arguably the only poor showing so far. It’s just great to be looking up rather than down.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #186 on: December 26, 2020, 10:55:08 PM »
Let's just remember that we would have been selling our first-born for tenth place at the start of the season and not get too upset if that's where we finish.

And if we did, that would be our best Premier League finish since 2011.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #187 on: December 26, 2020, 11:09:26 PM »
Liverpool are currently clear at the top having lost only one game all season.

We absolutely put them to the sword.

I'm not saying we're the best team in the league but we're certainly in the top one.

Nah Bielsa United are better than us. In fact they are better than everyone.

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #188 on: December 26, 2020, 11:21:14 PM »
I think it would be disappointing if we didn't finish in the top half given how we've done up to this point.

Offline johnny from donny

« Reply #189 on: December 28, 2020, 11:36:35 AM »
The pessimist in me is still hoping for 4 more wins so I can relax about getting dragged down into the mix.
I'm not sure about selling our first born but those of us with 3 or more kids and a mix of boys and girls  might be thinking they can spare one.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #190 on: December 28, 2020, 01:48:04 PM »
After 12 games we're actually currently on more points than all 3 seasons when we finished 6th under MON.
From memory, we always used to be in the hunt for the CL places until the last 10 or so games back then, without really troubling the leaders. After such a positive start it would be great to avoid the kind of slump that we have experienced at some point in each of DS’s previous seasons. I don’t think we are in a false position right now, because we look so accomplished, although having the games in hand makes it a bit difficult to tell.

We're top 8 standard imo. Southampton done well also but I think we've got a stronger 11 compared to them although it's close and they always do a number on us when we play them.

Certainly should be finishing above likes of them and West Ham who have reverted to type since their flukey win v us. If we do that I'm confident that will be enough for 8th, perhaps even 7th if Everton stop winning but they're a bit stronger with a top level manager who knows how to manage a run in.

All very exciting. No idea why anyone would find a relegation scrap more exciting than this as large chunks of last season were horrendous viewing with little hope bar a good Grealish goal.

Some of the championship seasons were fun aswell but this is where Aston Villa should be.

Offline supertom

« Reply #191 on: December 28, 2020, 02:15:02 PM »

We're top 8 standard imo. Southampton done well also but I think we've got a stronger 11 compared to them although it's close and they always do a number on us when we play them.

Certainly should be finishing above likes of them and West Ham who have reverted to type since their flukey win v us. If we do that I'm confident that will be enough for 8th, perhaps even 7th if Everton stop winning but they're a bit stronger with a top level manager who knows how to manage a run in.

All very exciting. No idea why anyone would find a relegation scrap more exciting than this as large chunks of last season were horrendous viewing with little hope bar a good Grealish goal.

Some of the championship seasons were fun aswell but this is where Aston Villa should be.
I think the good thing is, that the top 11-12 as it stands are all pretty competative. It might just be that there won't be a runaway group in the top 6. It's quite open, and if it stays that way it'll be exciting come the run in. We're right in it too. Hopefully we maintain it. In terms of the bottom end, it will probably be the bottom two going down. It looks done and dusted. But there will be a scrap for 6-7 sides to avoid that last place. I don't feel like there'll be a long stretch with a sagging middle where no one has much to play for.
And indeed, not being in a relegation scrap is heaven.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #192 on: December 28, 2020, 02:32:42 PM »

Now think we may well finish top half and the fact that even the pessimists amongst us will want Palace to beat Leicester today suggest most of us are leaning that way. The question is, would we be better off long term in 8-10th this year rather than 5-7th (and extra EL/ECL games) assuming we don't make top 4/CL?

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #193 on: December 28, 2020, 02:44:16 PM »

Now think we may well finish top half and the fact that even the pessimists amongst us will want Palace to beat Leicester today suggest most of us are leaning that way. The question is, would we be better off long term in 8-10th this year rather than 5-7th (and extra EL/ECL games) assuming we don't make top 4/CL?

We were one game from making europa last season and that certainly would've been a bit too early. Doubt we'd have anything like the season we had with six extra games squeezed in to the schedule.

Ultimately if we want to continue keeping Jack and likes of Luiz for a few more years then european football is a must soon I think so why not this year.

Online luke95

« Reply #194 on: December 28, 2020, 02:49:29 PM »
Start of the season idve been more than happy with 10 points above relegation.
How things are progressing this season now 8th/9th/10th  would be respectable.
Qualifying for Euro would be too much to soon I think.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal