collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 11:45:03 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Teams we'll finish above next season  (Read 43743 times)

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
Re: Teams we'll finish above next season
« Reply #90 on: September 17, 2020, 02:37:03 PM »
Again I think that is scoring goals will be a problem, also not convinced about either of our centre half’s.
with the current squad we will probably be 15th and another season of struggling to survive

Centre half is a great point and one I agree with. If we can only manage one of a centre back or holding midfielder, I would go with a stronger centre back next to Mings. I think Konsa would do a good job as a holding midfielder.

Not picking on you with this mate, but I think that's where we go wrong with the holding midfielder in this country. The job is thought to be for the defender that can trap a ball, whereas for it to properly work you need a nimble, intelligent player that can pass and close down spaces. Our Doug is the correct model, as is Neves at Wulvz, and Stan was great at it for us too.

richtheholtender

« Reply #91 on: September 17, 2020, 02:57:47 PM »
Again I think that is scoring goals will be a problem, also not convinced about either of our centre half’s.
with the current squad we will probably be 15th and another season of struggling to survive

Centre half is a great point and one I agree with. If we can only manage one of a centre back or holding midfielder, I would go with a stronger centre back next to Mings. I think Konsa would do a good job as a holding midfielder.

Not picking on you with this mate, but I think that's where we go wrong with the holding midfielder in this country. The job is thought to be for the defender that can trap a ball, whereas for it to properly work you need a nimble, intelligent player that can pass and close down spaces. Our Doug is the correct model, as is Neves at Wulvz, and Stan was great at it for us too.

Completely agree. I was thinking more a case of bringing in a better centre half and a konsa could cover for Luiz as an alternative to bringing in a cover for Luiz and leaving us with what we have at the back. If we could bring in both an upgrade at centre back and a player to push Luiz that would great but I also think that is harsh on Konsa to be involved less.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #92 on: September 17, 2020, 03:29:15 PM »
I think we are capable of finishing above West Ham, Palace, Leeds, Fulham, Albion and Brighton. Possibly also Newcastle, Southampton and Sheffield United if we get our act together.

Offline danno

« Reply #93 on: September 17, 2020, 03:42:30 PM »
I'm curious about what the owners expect us to do this season. Would they sack Dean if we finished 13th for example?

Offline Damo70

« Reply #94 on: September 17, 2020, 03:55:03 PM »
I'm curious about what the owners expect us to do this season. Would they sack Dean if we finished 13th for example?

I would guess that step one promotion, step two survival, step three 13th and pretty much mid table security would satisfy the owners that we are going in the right direction under Dean Smith.

Offline gpbarr

• GM : 31.03.2017
« Reply #95 on: September 17, 2020, 04:31:33 PM »
I think comfortable survival this season will be deemed progress, and the project will continue - whether thats 12th or 16th I don't think matters that much, but another relegation scrap will see him out.   

I'm not as confident as some others we have enough (yet) to compete with the likes of Everton, Newcastle, Southampton, so for me a finish between 13th & 15th is realistic. 

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #96 on: September 17, 2020, 04:31:40 PM »
13th would be an excellent season, particularly if we have a decent cup run.  I'd defintely take that if offered it now. 

Whilst I'm happy with our signings, for me the only massive improvemnt on the team that started last season so far is Watkins (Heaton was excellent and Guilbert decent).  Obviously I know the players are now generally more experienced and in particulalr Luiz & Konsa have improved, but even so I still feel we're in the 15-18th territory at the moment.  With two more very good signings I'd be more confident of mid table, but I'm not sure how reliable Traore is and I feel we're still very light in midfield and left back.

Offline mike

« Reply #97 on: September 17, 2020, 09:31:10 PM »
13th would be an excellent season, particularly if we have a decent cup run.  I'd defintely take that if offered it now. 

Whilst I'm happy with our signings, for me the only massive improvemnt on the team that started last season so far is Watkins (Heaton was excellent and Guilbert decent).  Obviously I know the players are now generally more experienced and in particulalr Luiz & Konsa have improved, but even so I still feel we're in the 15-18th territory at the moment.  With two more very good signings I'd be more confident of mid table, but I'm not sure how reliable Traore is and I feel we're still very light in midfield and left back.

Good points and that's how I feel. If we can be safe with a while to spare it will be a bonus.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #98 on: September 17, 2020, 11:18:06 PM »

Think it depends how far off the top 10 we are. We finished 11th in MON's first season but with the signings of Carew and Young in that January we finished the season strongly and most could see we were going in right direction.

If we're a few points off 10th and higher than DS will get another season and also chance to sign 1-2 who would be difference makers. If we're 10-15 points off we're obviously going to be close to bottom 3 again so don't see him surviving in that position.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #99 on: September 17, 2020, 11:20:19 PM »
I think comfortable survival this season will be deemed progress, and the project will continue - whether thats 12th or 16th I don't think matters that much, but another relegation scrap will see him out.   

I'm not as confident as some others we have enough (yet) to compete with the likes of Everton, Newcastle, Southampton, so for me a finish between 13th & 15th is realistic. 

If we finish 16th it will either mean we've just stayed up after a late rally like last season or we've had a really poor end of season run to fall from mid table so don't see DS getting 21/22 if we finish bottom 6. Think owners will assume we're signing much better than what we did last season and so will expected that to be reflected in higher league finish and not being that far off 10th.

Offline WilliamStanding

« Reply #100 on: September 17, 2020, 11:43:53 PM »
For me now progression is finishing above 15th.

If we finish 16th-17th would  I cry, no. As long as we don’t get down to last two games again.

I think we have the squad to Finish 10th.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #101 on: September 18, 2020, 12:00:53 AM »
10th would be a stretch I think, but should be a target. 13th would be a very decent season, for me.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #102 on: September 18, 2020, 12:03:14 AM »
Last season Everton in 12th finished 14 points ahead of us.

I think regardless of league position a season target should be finishing 10 points clear of 18th place as that would get us safe by April.

Offline wince

« Reply #103 on: September 18, 2020, 11:30:25 AM »
Rather than position focus on getting points on the table. Get us home and dry by end of March

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #104 on: September 18, 2020, 10:29:08 PM »
Oh to go into the last game without a care...for the right reasons, obviously

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal