collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Teams we'll finish above next season  (Read 43728 times)

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
Re: Teams we'll finish above next season
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2020, 08:58:45 PM »
BBC News were positively masturbating over Dirty Leeds tonight. It was truly sick-making, especially before the watershed.

I saw Carragher suggest they were going to be everybody's second team, on some website the other day. I suppose if they roll over and give us six points and beat West Brom and wolves they might be.

Do people even have second favourite teams? In the same league I mean.

Quite like Everton, although less so of late

I've got a bit of a soft spot for Sheff Utd and Brighton from living and working in both cities at various times. I don't think I'd describe them as second teams though. I like to see them do well but it doesn't have a massive effect on me if they don't.

As for Leeds being anyone's second team, I'd find that very surprising.

Offline stevo_st

• GM : 27.07.21
« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2020, 09:32:49 PM »
I've got a bit of a soft spot for Sheff Utd and Brighton from living and working in both cities at various times. I don't think I'd describe them as second teams though. I like to see them do well but it doesn't have a massive effect on me if they don't.

As for Leeds being anyone's second team, I'd find that very surprising.

Lived in Leeds for 5yrs through the Ridsdale era. Started with an open mind, but didn’t take long to despise pretty much everything about them (apart from Milner)

Ridiculous that they won that FIFA FairPlay award for cheating against us, faking injury to get one of our lot sent off, and then trying to stop us from walking the ball in to attempt to even things out

Maybe if Banford had sent himself off then it MIGHT have been deserved

Offline danno

« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2020, 09:37:16 PM »
A fair play award in the same season as spy gate? Haha that's bonkers

Offline The Fish

« Reply #78 on: September 16, 2020, 09:13:31 AM »
Geordie here,

I think if you sign a good striker that will go a long way to making survival a little more comfortable.

As it stands and unless they suddenly splash a load of cash, it has to be Fulham and West Brom as the bottom two. They just look miles off the quality required to comfortably stay in the league.

Ahead of them it could be any from a group of 6 or 7.
Brighton play some nice stuff at times, but they haven't the quality,
Burnley defy expectations every bloody season,
Crystal Palace over-reliant on Zaha (although Batshuayi might shoulder some of that burden),
Leeds did well in the Championship and Biesla's a top coach, but Bamford's not a PL striker and Rodrigo might be a Joelinton.
Newcastle have some good players, and have bought well imo, but Bruce is a terrible manager,
West Ham are a club in crisis, don't have a good striker, don't have a good manager.

For me, it'll be Fulham, WBA and West Ham. But yourselves, Brighton and Palace might leave it late to clinch survival.

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #79 on: September 16, 2020, 09:17:05 AM »
For me, it'll be Fulham, WBA and West Ham...
This is how I saw it a few days' ago. If the WHU takeover happens that will either confirm their ineptitude or pull them away from the trapdoor.
Palace have now got enough in their tank, I think, with Eze and Batshit in their squad.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #80 on: September 16, 2020, 09:18:39 AM »
I can't see the dildo twins selling West Ham for the sums quoted so I think they're in big trouble.

Offline The Fish

« Reply #81 on: September 16, 2020, 11:21:36 AM »
This is how I saw it a few days' ago. If the WHU takeover happens that will either confirm their ineptitude or pull them away from the trapdoor.
Palace have now got enough in their tank, I think, with Eze and Batshit in their squad.
Can't see the takeover happening in time to make any difference to be honest.

I just expect a West Ham catastrophe.

Really like Batshuayi. Wilson + Batshuayi on loan would have been really really good business for us.

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #82 on: September 16, 2020, 11:29:26 AM »
I think West Brom and Fulham will be bottom two, and suspect West Ham might drop with them. They have been a shambles off the pitch lately and have reduced rather than improved the quality of the squad that nearly went down last season.

Burnley might finally have a bad season too, no signings, Dyche falling out with the chairman and lost a few decent squad members. Brighton will be down there, and if Ings picked up an injury Southampton could struggle.

Think Newcastle will be fine, Bruce made some decent signings and whilst dull will keep them up. Think we will be comfortable this season too now we have improved our forward line.

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #83 on: September 16, 2020, 11:50:52 AM »
Geordie here,
That was enough to stop me from reading the rest of it.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #84 on: September 17, 2020, 01:42:51 PM »
Lots of positive vibes on here this week so was surprised to hear we are still third favourites for the drop. Just checked and it is true. It is Fulham, Albion, us. Also surprised to see Leeds have such long odds.

I've heard it said many times the bookies don't get it wrong. They have this time haven't they? Or are we all kidding ourselves?

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #85 on: September 17, 2020, 01:49:05 PM »
No chance Villa will be as poor as at times last season.  Goog keeper, Good striker.  McGinn nearly back to full fitness.  Sign a pacey winger or two top half is achievable. 

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #86 on: September 17, 2020, 02:06:45 PM »
Lots of positive vibes on here this week so was surprised to hear we are still third favourites for the drop. Just checked and it is true. It is Fulham, Albion, us. Also surprised to see Leeds have such long odds.

I've heard it said many times the bookies don't get it wrong. They have this time haven't they? Or are we all kidding ourselves?

No, the bookies take money off mugs that bet in hope rather than expectation. We have a lot of enemies, it seems.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #87 on: September 17, 2020, 02:11:13 PM »
Again I think that is scoring goals will be a problem, also not convinced about either of our centre half’s.
with the current squad we will probably be 15th and another season of struggling to survive
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 02:14:38 PM by sid1964 »

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #88 on: September 17, 2020, 02:19:30 PM »
Geordie here,

I think if you sign a good striker that will go a long way to making survival a little more comfortable.

As it stands and unless they suddenly splash a load of cash, it has to be Fulham and West Brom as the bottom two. They just look miles off the quality required to comfortably stay in the league.

Ahead of them it could be any from a group of 6 or 7.
Brighton play some nice stuff at times, but they haven't the quality,
Burnley defy expectations every bloody season,
Crystal Palace over-reliant on Zaha (although Batshuayi might shoulder some of that burden),
Leeds did well in the Championship and Biesla's a top coach, but Bamford's not a PL striker and Rodrigo might be a Joelinton.
Newcastle have some good players, and have bought well imo, but Bruce is a terrible manager,
West Ham are a club in crisis, don't have a good striker, don't have a good manager.

For me, it'll be Fulham, WBA and West Ham. But yourselves, Brighton and Palace might leave it late to clinch survival.

I'd agree with most of that except that if we get a decent winger and central midfielder I think we'll be in the 10-15th range. All's not well at Burnley so this might be the season they struggle and Sheffield United may find it hard to replicate last season's form.

richtheholtender

« Reply #89 on: September 17, 2020, 02:21:08 PM »
Again I think that is scoring goals will be a problem, also not convinced about either of our centre half’s.
with the current squad we will probably be 15th and another season of struggling to survive

Centre half is a great point and one I agree with. If we can only manage one of a centre back or holding midfielder, I would go with a stronger centre back next to Mings. I think Konsa would do a good job as a holding midfielder.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal