collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Teams we'll finish above next season  (Read 44347 times)

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
Re: Teams we'll finish above next season
« Reply #135 on: December 14, 2020, 05:04:04 PM »
Arsenal
Brighton
Burnley
Chelsea
Crystal Palace
Everton
Fulham
Leeds
Leicester
Liverpool
Man City
Man U
Newcastle
Sheffield United
Southampton
Tottenham
West Brom
West Ham
Wolves

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #136 on: December 15, 2020, 01:52:37 AM »
What about the promoted sides?

Online Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #137 on: January 30, 2021, 10:48:13 PM »
Might be a bit premature seeing as we hope our squad will look different in four weeks' time, other teams will be thinking the same I am sure.

Nonetheless the season is only a week away from starting so I have got to thinking where we might finish. Hoping it won't be a struggle again but most sensible approach would be looking at it from the bottom up, who will we be better than.

The newbies

Fulham
Leeds
Albion

One of these will go down, could well be two, maybe all three. It's imperative we use our extra season's experience and finish above all these lot.

My tips to struggle

Palace
Sheff U

Palace finished the season abysmally and could well carry that forward into the new season (like Watford last year). Hodgson is a wily manager but this might be the year they are in a prolonged struggle. Personally I think Sheff U will have second season syndrome and I think they'll go down with two of the promoted teams. Wilder is a genius with what he's done but I think the difference in playing budget will start to tell. So above these two as well.

Relatively comfortable last season, might drop off this season

Brighton
Newcastle

I think last summer I would have been confident of finishing above both these two. Newcastle in particular were a surprise. I think the fallout of another failed takeover might take its toll and hopefully Bruce will produce one of his dire runs to send them plummeting down the league. Brighton are a bit of a nothing team but were never in too much bother last year. I reckon they'll be around 15th/16th again this time. I was wrong last summer about us being better than these but I'll be right this time.

More established teams we can catch

Burnley
Southampton
West Ham

Perhaps a bit generous to West Ham putting them in this bracket given their struggles last season but looking at their squad they really underperformed. Southampton had a great second half of the season and Ings is a quality striker. Burnley are just a really solid team, always do enough to be comfortable. Realistically this is the bracket we should be looking to finish in. One of these lot could easily drop off this season, like West Ham in season just gone, so not inconceivable we can finish above one of them. We'll have done well to finish above all three I think.

"Levels"

Everton
Leicester
Wolves

Would dearly love the wheels to come off for Wolves but I still think they'll be better than us next season. Hopefully not for much longer. I think Leicester might have a hangover from blowing CL last season but again a bit too soon to catch them. James looks a good signing for Everton. Could be a flop but I'd be very pleasantly surprised if we finished above them next season.

Snowball's chance in hell

Man City
Liverpool
Chelsea
Man U
Arsenal
Spurs

Enough said.

So 10th to 13th is plausible. Maybe a bit optimistic in light of lack of transfer activity but I'm hopeful we've got some irons in the fire. The kind of season we'd have been pissed off about a decade or so ago would do just nicely now.

Jack to win player of the year.

Giving this a bump at the halfway stage. I think we've done better than any of us really expected. 32 points at this stage is incredible.

In terms of my original posting. I think it's fair to say we will almost certainly finish above the current bottom six (Sheff U, West Brom, Fulham, Brighton, Newcastle, Burnley).

I also think we'll finish above Leeds, Palace and Wolves barring a severe decline in form. So that puts us minimum of 11th.

In terms of the non "big six", our rivals are Saints, Everton, West Ham and Leicester. Saints look like they're declining in terms of results although I don't think you can write them off completely, particularly given how fortunate we were tonight. Everton and West Ham are odd in that I think they are in a false position (Everton less so than West Ham) but they probably think the same about us. Ultimately I wouldn't be too surprised if we finished above both of them but the same is true the other way round. Leicester have been far better than I anticipated. Maybe they'll blow up like they did last season, maybe they won't but I think we'll do well to finish above them.

In terms of the "big six", Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs have all looked vulnerable this season. Will we finish above any of them? I'd like to think we can finish above at least one of them but you can easily see all of them putting a run together and us dropping off.

In summary, we're going to win the league  ;)

Joking aside, I think Europe might be a stretch but right now I would be disappointed to finish below 10th. If we keep on at our points rate though, who knows?

One thing I am sure of, and I was kind of joking in my OP, Jack for player of the year. What an absolute pleasure to see this lad play. Absolutely incredible player.

Offline TelfordVilla

« Reply #138 on: January 30, 2021, 11:08:39 PM »
That's pretty remarkable mystic meg . Match of the day have just nominated jack for player of the year too. Next two matches vs west ham and arsenal should give us a clue as to where we will finish plus still got spurs and everton to play twice.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #139 on: January 30, 2021, 11:10:42 PM »
Grealish should win Player of the Year, but I can tell you right now they'll just give it to Bruno Fernandes.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #140 on: January 31, 2021, 12:55:32 PM »
That's pretty remarkable mystic meg . Match of the day have just nominated jack for player of the year too. Next two matches vs west ham and arsenal should give us a clue as to where we will finish plus still got spurs and everton to play twice.

Strangely the West Ham game could prove the hardest.  Every game right now is tricky.  Apart from the bottom 3 there is no easier game.

Offline Moonraker

• GM : 22.10.2022
« Reply #141 on: January 31, 2021, 02:41:33 PM »
Meanwood, your OP is turning out to be pretty accurate, well done. Any tips on lottery numbers?

Online Meanwood Villa

« Reply #142 on: January 31, 2021, 02:51:53 PM »
Haha. One thing I got wrong is the wheels coming off for Wolves this season. Which is nice.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #143 on: January 31, 2021, 03:00:48 PM »
The ‘Snowball’s chance in hell’ title  needs to be revised to ‘Anything’s possible’

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #144 on: January 31, 2021, 03:14:24 PM »
Two from Palace, Newcastle, West Ham and Burnley please. Should mean we're hitting a mid table spot if we can do that. Certainly won't be getting relegated as think WBA and Fulham are nailed on to be the bottom two.

Piece of pi........

Now for our next trick finishing above Everton and West Ham....

Do that and I fancy 7th. Would be brilliant if we could finish above one of Arsenal or Chelsea aswell. If I'm right we last finished above Chelsea in 1997 and Arsenal in 1996?

Would be really good for the growing mentality of club to know we can finish above one of the league's big hitters again.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #145 on: January 31, 2021, 03:17:27 PM »
I'll be disappointed if we don't finish above at least one of the "snowball's chance in Hell" teams now.

Last finished above Tottenham: 2008/09. Chelsea: 1996/97, Arsenal: 1995/96.

None of them impossibilities this season.

If anyone fancies being incredibly optimistic, last time we finished above Man U was 1989/90.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #146 on: January 31, 2021, 03:32:38 PM »
Might be a bit premature seeing as we hope our squad will look different in four weeks' time, other teams will be thinking the same I am sure.

Nonetheless the season is only a week away from starting so I have got to thinking where we might finish. Hoping it won't be a struggle again but most sensible approach would be looking at it from the bottom up, who will we be better than.

The newbies

Fulham
Leeds
Albion

One of these will go down, could well be two, maybe all three. It's imperative we use our extra season's experience and finish above all these lot.

My tips to struggle

Palace
Sheff U

Palace finished the season abysmally and could well carry that forward into the new season (like Watford last year). Hodgson is a wily manager but this might be the year they are in a prolonged struggle. Personally I think Sheff U will have second season syndrome and I think they'll go down with two of the promoted teams. Wilder is a genius with what he's done but I think the difference in playing budget will start to tell. So above these two as well.

Relatively comfortable last season, might drop off this season

Brighton
Newcastle

I think last summer I would have been confident of finishing above both these two. Newcastle in particular were a surprise. I think the fallout of another failed takeover might take its toll and hopefully Bruce will produce one of his dire runs to send them plummeting down the league. Brighton are a bit of a nothing team but were never in too much bother last year. I reckon they'll be around 15th/16th again this time. I was wrong last summer about us being better than these but I'll be right this time.

More established teams we can catch

Burnley
Southampton
West Ham

Perhaps a bit generous to West Ham putting them in this bracket given their struggles last season but looking at their squad they really underperformed. Southampton had a great second half of the season and Ings is a quality striker. Burnley are just a really solid team, always do enough to be comfortable. Realistically this is the bracket we should be looking to finish in. One of these lot could easily drop off this season, like West Ham in season just gone, so not inconceivable we can finish above one of them. We'll have done well to finish above all three I think.

"Levels"

Everton
Leicester
Wolves

Would dearly love the wheels to come off for Wolves but I still think they'll be better than us next season. Hopefully not for much longer. I think Leicester might have a hangover from blowing CL last season but again a bit too soon to catch them. James looks a good signing for Everton. Could be a flop but I'd be very pleasantly surprised if we finished above them next season.

Snowball's chance in hell

Man City
Liverpool
Chelsea
Man U
Arsenal
Spurs

Enough said.

So 10th to 13th is plausible. Maybe a bit optimistic in light of lack of transfer activity but I'm hopeful we've got some irons in the fire. The kind of season we'd have been pissed off about a decade or so ago would do just nicely now.

Jack to win player of the year.

Giving this a bump at the halfway stage. I think we've done better than any of us really expected. 32 points at this stage is incredible.

In terms of my original posting. I think it's fair to say we will almost certainly finish above the current bottom six (Sheff U, West Brom, Fulham, Brighton, Newcastle, Burnley).

I also think we'll finish above Leeds, Palace and Wolves barring a severe decline in form. So that puts us minimum of 11th.

In terms of the non "big six", our rivals are Saints, Everton, West Ham and Leicester. Saints look like they're declining in terms of results although I don't think you can write them off completely, particularly given how fortunate we were tonight. Everton and West Ham are odd in that I think they are in a false position (Everton less so than West Ham) but they probably think the same about us. Ultimately I wouldn't be too surprised if we finished above both of them but the same is true the other way round. Leicester have been far better than I anticipated. Maybe they'll blow up like they did last season, maybe they won't but I think we'll do well to finish above them.

In terms of the "big six", Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs have all looked vulnerable this season. Will we finish above any of them? I'd like to think we can finish above at least one of them but you can easily see all of them putting a run together and us dropping off.

In summary, we're going to win the league  ;)

Joking aside, I think Europe might be a stretch but right now I would be disappointed to finish below 10th. If we keep on at our points rate though, who knows?

One thing I am sure of, and I was kind of joking in my OP, Jack for player of the year. What an absolute pleasure to see this lad play. Absolutely incredible player.

You are spot on with these predictions do you know the lottery numbers next week please.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #147 on: January 31, 2021, 04:52:06 PM »
Jack winning POTY is a decent each way bet, they were mentioning that on MOTD so the media bandwagon will start now.

Southgate would probably vote for Kalvin Phillips.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #148 on: February 01, 2021, 01:00:12 AM »
But what about Mason Mount...?

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #149 on: February 01, 2021, 08:04:28 AM »
I cant see another POTY  candidate. Imagine how embarrassed they'd be to take it ahead of Grealish!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal