collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 02:15:26 PM]

Re: FFP by rob_bridge
[Today at 02:01:05 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 02:00:06 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:59:07 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by WassallVillain
[Today at 01:54:03 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 01:50:22 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 01:43:13 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:30:57 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa Women 2020-21  (Read 48117 times)

Offline exigo

Re: Aston Villa Women 2020-21
« Reply #165 on: December 09, 2020, 09:33:09 PM »
Started well. Were under the cosh for a while. Good steal, cross and finish just before half time. Never really in doubt from there.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #166 on: December 09, 2020, 09:40:41 PM »
Won 0-4 vs Bristol City.
Brilliant. Well done Villa ladies.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #167 on: December 09, 2020, 10:11:38 PM »
Well done Ladies. Was nil-nil when I gave up cos the screen kept freezing. So I'm thanking my crappy WiFi for the victory.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #168 on: December 09, 2020, 11:08:35 PM »
Great result, just what we needed. Hopefully a confidence booster for next match

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #169 on: December 10, 2020, 12:06:48 PM »
Only one team goes down I think.  This does put a bit of daylight between us and Bristol City so we should stop up.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #170 on: December 10, 2020, 12:17:29 PM »
Great sponsorship deal announced with Cadbury.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #171 on: December 14, 2020, 11:22:58 AM »
Article from the Daily Telegraph from a week or so ago, meant to post it but didn't ...

How Aston Villa Women are training their players' brains as well as their bodies
Villa's Student of the Game programme was the brainchild of sporting director Eniola Aluko

By Molly McElwee
5 December 2020 • 8:01am

Asmita Ale and Caroline Siems both cringe at the thought of their university class-mates finding out they have a top division footballer in their midst. "I don't think anyone in my class knows," Siems says of her second year Psychology class. "I haven't met anyone in person and no one turns on their cameras on our video lectures."

"You’re not going to be like, 'I play for Aston Villa,' while on Zoom," Ale adds, and they both laugh.

They are two of six Villa players benefitting from the club's Students of the Game programme, which sponsors their educational courses at Aston University. Ali and Siems are undergraduate students, Villa captain Marisa Ewers is completing a masters degree and defender Natalie Haigh has been given a dual role as footballer and analyst intern this season.

The idea for the programme came from Eniola Aluko, the club's women's football sporting director. A former England and Chelsea striker, she completed a law degree alongside playing and says it was her top priority to help others at Villa.

"It was the first proposal I wrote coming into the job earlier this year," Aluko says. "I balanced education and football for a long time, and always felt that it was something that clubs could do more. As female footballers, it's even more important, because we don't have the financial security that exists in men's football. I've been part of clubs that went bust and you've got to find a job. Thankfully, that's not so much the case now, but I still think we need to invest in our players as people and education is a huge part of that."

Ale and Siems both say football is their main priority, but Villa's programme was a big selling point, especially for Siems who signed from Frauen-Bundesliga club Turbine Potsdam this summer. "I’d been studying psychology in Germany for two years," Siems, 21, says, "and I actually found out through Eni that Aston Uni could offer me second year psychology. It made the decision to join easier."

Ale, 19, has been at Villa's academy since 2010 and said it was an easy transition after finishing her A-levels last season: "My parents were like, education first, whereas I’d rather have football first - this is an in-between. I think Eni’s really passionate about education too, the way she speaks about it is really powerful."

The team are still struggling to adapt to life in the Women's Super League, with just one win from five so far, but Aluko is helping  the club become a trendsetter in the classroom. She says she has already fielded calls from other WSL sides on the programme, as they explore ways to retain young, talented players. "That, for me, is the most exciting part about this - the recruitment element," Aluko says. "If you look at Alessia Russo (Manchester United) and Grace Fisk (West Ham) now in the England squad, these players wanted to follow their education and we lost them to the American college system for four years because we don't give them an alternative option.

"Students of the Game is not full scholarships, hopefully we can get to that point, but it gives players a reason to stay playing in the best league in the world, while also progressing their education. We want it to have a ripple effect in the women's game."

That is the long-term aim, but for now Siems and Ale are, like many students, getting to grips with learning remotely under Covid-19 restrictions. It at least makes optimising their time easier, ahead of playing at home to Manchester United on Saturday. While both missed out on the traditional "fresher" student experience,, there is one student cliche they are well versed in. "I procrastinate and I’m quite behind at the moment.," Ale says sheepishly. Siems nods: "Me too, I have to catch up."

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #172 on: December 14, 2020, 11:49:15 AM »
I would also have to suggest that Davies would have to be eventually replaced as coach as despite her loyalty and passion her nous and accumen at top level is lacking and like how people were calling for  Pochettino in the mens to replace Smith *unfairly for me * I would say its far more reasonable to suggest a big name in the womans game to come in at Villa women in the next 18 months as coach providing we stay up.
I don't really agree with you there.  It's our first season in the WSL, so really the goal is to stay up.  It looks like that's going to happen - as you said, I think that spot will be Bristol City's.  So, regardless of anything else, whoever was manager will have earned themselves another year.

But, I'd add to that -- Gemma Davies is still a young coach/manager, and is still developing in that respect.  She needs, IMO, to be given the time & space to grown in to her role.  She also comes across as being a really intelligent, driven young lady who will flourish if she's given the support she needs.  I'd also say that, with her involvement in Birmingham University, that's another big thing for us.  With her, we can build & strengthen those links with the Birmingham & Aston Universities.  Hopefully we can then go out to those 17/18/19/20 year old players, offer them a path that'll see them be able to fulfill their footballing ability, but also continue on academically so they're not compromising their future by playing football, ... I think it could be a big thing.

I could imagine that we might also be able to allow that to seep in to the men's youth teams too.  We shouldn't only try to recruit the best players in the area.  The ones who don't quite make it should be given the opportunity to follow another path - via the universities and practical experience at the club - to build a strong production line in terms of recruiting the best young physios, sports scientists, data analysts etc.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #173 on: December 15, 2020, 01:35:43 AM »
Anyone seen Spurs' second goal on Sunday? Their striker lunges straight in on Weiss before the deflection carries it in.

Even Atwell would have spotted it!!

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #174 on: December 21, 2020, 03:45:09 PM »

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #175 on: December 21, 2020, 05:07:05 PM »
That's a pretty impressive signing to be fair.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #176 on: December 21, 2020, 05:22:18 PM »
Fair play, they mean business. Feel it will be like the men, where we do enough to stay up, and maybe make the League Cup Final, but improve dramatically in the second season.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #177 on: December 22, 2020, 09:34:38 AM »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/55379323

This is exactly what I've been talking about and is the right move.
Signing international world class players
Getting the Japanese captain is unbelievable business and will boost the quality 10 fold of the team

Now all the clubs are bringing in recognised talent so in order to compete Villa had to do the same

Super move !

Offline Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #178 on: January 07, 2021, 04:21:09 PM »
Saturday's match against Arsenal postponed, due to Covid problems at Arsenal.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #179 on: January 07, 2021, 04:36:34 PM »
Saturday's match against Arsenal postponed, due to Covid problems at Arsenal.

Do any of our women fancy a game against Liverpool tomorrow night instead?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal