collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by rob_bridge
[Today at 02:01:05 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 02:00:06 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:59:07 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by WassallVillain
[Today at 01:54:03 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 01:50:22 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 01:43:13 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:30:57 PM]

Re: Aston Villa Leisure Centre by Pete3206
[Today at 01:30:43 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Martin O'Neill: Ten years on  (Read 15386 times)

Offline BC Villain

Martin O'Neill: Ten years on
« on: August 09, 2020, 06:45:12 PM »
Hard to believe that a decade has passed since MON's exit triggered the comedy of errors that ended with us nearly going under in 2018.

https://youtu.be/lp0tfteYu-k

It certainly wasn't a shock that O'Neill left - it had been rumoured for weeks that all wasnt well - but the timing still leaves a bitter taste.  Had he gone at the end of the previous season, I'm certain he'd be much more highly thought of than he is now.  I'm not for one minute blaming him for relegation in 2016.  There was a long enough spell in-between to have sorted the club out, but for weak leadership and a string of appointments of people not fit for purpose.

Hopefully now, the wrongs are being righted, and the club can get on the very long path and move on to get back to the levels we were in 2006-2010.

Online shirley_villan

Re: Martin O'Neill: Ten years on
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2020, 06:52:59 PM »
I can't really remember the circumstances surrounding this and whether it was expected or a complete shock, but I remember watching him being interviewed after the Valencia friendly a few days previously and thinking something wasn't right. Either way, the bloke is a complete tnuc and I never forgave him after Moscow.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2020, 09:32:47 PM »
Our frailties after he left weren’t his fault but he can certainly take the blame for blowing nearly a quarter of a billion quid on finishing 6th three times and not winning a trophy.

He pissed the future of the club up the wall with minimal oversight from an owner and his lackeys who treated Aston Villa like a museum. O’Neill was a control freak, living in the past tactically, with a UKIP inspired transfer and squad building policy. He was a tactical dinosaur and didn’t have good coaches (bibs and cones anyone!) to instil anything like the awareness or tactical approach needed in football in the 21st century, the game had moved on whilst he’d been away tending to his wife and he got left behind.

He thought he was the new Brian Clough, he turned out to be slightly better than Sam Allardyce.

Online Walmley_Villa

• GM : 21.08.2017
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 12:06:13 PM »
Habib Beye £42k per week.

Offline BC Villain

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 08:38:12 PM »
The only ones who truly know what went on in the build up to O'Neill going are him and Lerner, but I doubt either are likely to go public with their thoughts.

Again, had he left in May 2010, he'd be thought of with much more respect than he is now.  It all felt like Lerner, Faulkner and O'Neill spent that Summer playing a game of brinkmanship which - in the end - went too far.

For me, the beginning of the end was Moscow.  In one moment, he lost so much trust of the fans, and it was never fully repaired - even with the cup runs we had in 09/10.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2020, 08:40:27 PM »
Thanks but I don't want to think about that fucking wanker anymore than I already have to.

Offline WilliamStanding

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2020, 09:01:38 PM »
I would imagine not going on a thread with his name is a good start.

Pissed off with the short notice how he fucked us over in short period but still gave me some of the best memories since Little.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2020, 09:17:24 PM »
The most interesting manager and period of our recent history. His qualities and faults were both just so extreme - such a tactical caveman, with a club culture that would have been embarrassing in the 90s, nevertheless I can't help but remember what Dave Woodhall once said: if you accept how bad his minuses were, how good must his plus points have been to get us as far as he did?

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2020, 09:24:02 PM »
The most interesting manager and period of our recent history. His qualities and faults were both just so extreme - such a tactical caveman, with a club culture that would have been embarrassing in the 90s, nevertheless I can't help but remember what Dave Woodhall once said: if you accept how bad his minuses were, how good must his plus points have been to get us as far as he did?

I said that????

Online Monty

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2020, 09:24:52 PM »

I said that????

A lot more concisely!

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2020, 09:25:38 PM »

I said that????

A lot more concisely!

I can't remember it and it certainly sounds very different to my opinion of him.

Online Monty

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2020, 09:28:10 PM »

I said that????

A lot more concisely!

I can't remember it and it certainly sounds very different to my opinion of him.

Interesting. Definitely remember something to that effect though - maybe as an aside to some argument? What would you say now?

Offline dave.woodhall

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2020, 09:34:38 PM »

I said that????

A lot more concisely!

Interesting. Definitely remember something to that effect though - maybe as an aside to some argument? What would you say now?

While he was here his myopic approach to signings ruined any chance we had of cracking the top four and he chose exactly the right time to walk out in order to cause maximum damage to a club where he had been the most powerful manager in the Premier League and who he left the first time his absolute authority was challenged. 

Online Monty

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2020, 09:50:57 PM »

I said that????

A lot more concisely!

While he was here his myopic approach to signings ruined any chance we had of cracking the top four and he chose exactly the right time to walk out in order to cause maximum damage to a club where he had been the most powerful manager in the Premier League and who he left the first time his absolute authority was challenged. 

Well...yep. True.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 10:11:16 PM by Monty »

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2020, 10:01:02 PM »
I watched the video linked to in the OP earlier today. I broadly agree with Kendrick - it was a battle in which everyone lost.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal