collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:30:40 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:29:02 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:27:22 PM]

Re: FFP by aj2k77
[Today at 10:21:35 PM]

Re: FFP by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:11:07 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:07:44 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Hopadop
[Today at 09:57:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 09:49:37 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Claret & Blue Brum/Midlands  (Read 19420 times)

Offline WilliamStanding

Re: Claret & Blue Brum/Midlands
« Reply #165 on: August 04, 2020, 06:38:38 PM »
I’ve found all fans of none Midland clubs who reside in Brum have exactly the same attitude towards us.
I know a cretinous Watford fan ( from Watford ) who lives in Brum and for years has stated he hates us but doesn’t know why - I do, and I have to say I get a buzz from his hatred!

Offline mike

« Reply #166 on: August 04, 2020, 06:43:17 PM »
I think what this thread shows is that if you go back thirty years the demarcation between support in various areas of Brum was much clearer but increased social mobility has eroded that to a large extent. I also think the long running and ongoing mismanagement at Blues has seen a decline in their fan base overall.

This isn't meant to be facetious, but has there ever been a time they were well run?

Earliest memories are of the song about a circus in the town Terry Cooper being the clown etc. Seems they were owned by the Kumars(?) Scrap metal bods? Songs about Altrincham and Kiddie beating them in the cup.

They apoear, at least on the face of it, to have been the biggest and longest running farce in English football.

I think the Kumars were in the rag trade aptly enough, they owned the Mark-One brand. It was Ken Wheldon who was the tat man.
I think what this thread shows is that if you go back thirty years the demarcation between support in various areas of Brum was much clearer but increased social mobility has eroded that to a large extent. I also think the long running and ongoing mismanagement at Blues has seen a decline in their fan base overall.

This isn't meant to be facetious, but has there ever been a time they were well run?

Earliest memories are of the song about a circus in the town Terry Cooper being the clown etc. Seems they were owned by the Kumars(?) Scrap metal bods? Songs about Altrincham and Kiddie beating them in the cup.

They apoear, at least on the face of it, to have been the biggest and longest running farce in English football.

Around the time when Francis came through in the 70s they were doing well at a time we were really struggling. I remember their car stickers saying “Members of the First Division” obviously to emphasise the point that we weren’t.

My Dad refused to let me pick a local team, said I should support them all. So I do have memories of watching Francis, Latchford, Hateley and I think that’s probably the one time they were pretty good. Also got to see Astle and that pretty good West Brom team. He never took me to Wolves, probably couldn’t be arsed driving that far. He was fading away over the play offs last season. Me and my sister were following the semi final on our mobiles and she asked him who he wanted to win (bearing in mind the two of them had been season ticket holders in the Holte for years and his answer was... it doesn’t matter, they’re both West Midlands teams. I gave up the chance to be at the semi to nurse him the ingrate.

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #167 on: August 04, 2020, 07:20:58 PM »
Grew up in Balsall Common, CV postcode, but sort of in between Solihull and Coventry (closer to Cov, mind). The vast majority of football supporters are Villa fans in Balsall, then Cov, then blues, although there was one weird family there that supported Albion that never seemed to venture outside of their house.

I went to Heart of England school and as the catchment area was so wide, we would have kids from Marston Green (Brum side) and Eastern Green (Cov side), so I knew a fair few noses back then and some Cov fans were my best mates. As it was the 90's though, Villa were utterly dominant and it was fairly easy pickings. The 94 league cup final was a particular highlight. I don't remember any Man U fans around apart from a couple of girls that had posters of Ryan Giggs in their art folders because they fancied him.

I moved to Leamington Spa when I was 22 and that place is a major Villa stronghold, as is Warwick. I think the Warwick and Leam lions are still the biggest Villa supporters club around, too; they run coaches to every home and away game, as far as I know. Went to Uni in Cov and copped a bit of banter from random locals for wearing my Villa scarf, but would would have a go back and usually got on (I never went to the Tudor Rose though). Having said that, I was told to leave the old Yates's on the High St in Cov because wearing a Villa shirt on a Saturday evening when Cov had just lost at Highfield Road was asking for trouble.

For my sins, I married a lady from Stourbridge (who is a Villa fan - Jane of this parish) and we lived there for about three years. Having not met pretty much any Albion fans before in my life (and I was 33 by this point), they appeared to hate us a lot more than blues fans do which has really stuck in my mind, especially over the 'Support Stan' stuff. Bellends.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #168 on: August 04, 2020, 07:49:35 PM »
Lived in Edgbaston from 0-11. Northfield from 11-21 and for the last 30 years Rubery. Went to Shenley Court Comprehensive 80-85 and probably due to our League and European Cup successes it was full of Villa. Worked at the Austin 1990-2005 had a good mix of fans from all the Midlands clubs with mainly good banter. Plenty of Villa fans in Rubery whatever the noses might think.

I too was also at Shenley 80-85
Early 1980's I lived a short while with my grandparents in Weoley Castle before moving to Bournville...I was at Kings Norton Boys school and had to get off the bus at Northfield and catch another down Shenley Lane - getting off outside Shenley school each day dressed in my Kngs uniform - I got legged or battered most days - even by the girls !!!

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #169 on: August 04, 2020, 08:19:35 PM »
When I lived in Selly Oak between 1991 and 1994 while at university, it was mainly full of students, but the local shirts you did see were all Villa.  Apart from when Man U won their first title in 20 odd years then the scum sucking Brummie Reds seemed to fill every single pub to the rafters.

The bit of Northants I've just moved from had a strong Villa contingent.  When I got the train from Kettering to London for the play off final last year the station was absolutely heaving with Villa fans. Obviously the biggest team in Northants is Northampton Town who have been division 4 for most of the last however many years.  Leicester would be the closest Premier League team to them, but there's quite a big rivalry between the two counties, so they're out.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #170 on: August 04, 2020, 08:34:15 PM »
What about South Wales way? Used to park near the Manor Tavern for years and there was always a coach or two from Wales parked on there.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #171 on: August 04, 2020, 10:18:37 PM »
We lived in Winson  Green when I was born, and then shuffled out to Chasetown via Aston for a few years, then Newtown. The next spell was Great Barr - another one from Pheasey, and I consider that is where I was brought up as it was my formative years from 10-18, and my longest spell in one place.

Back in the 70s and 80s Great Barr had Villa as the largest fan base, with Albion second. Blues a distant third, though a good minority came out of the woodwork in the early 80s from 2-3 school years below me, plus plastics of various shades of red. My cousins were by the Scott Arms /  Hamsted and that seemed to be evenly split between Villa and Albion. One of my schools was in Aldridge and there were a good number of Wolves and Albion  fans there, with the Villa fans being largely represented by us Pheasey boys. A smattering of Leeds fans too, as they were big in the early 70s.

Other family were in Kingstanding and Perry Barr and they seemed purely Villa. All this is ancient history so things may have changed.

I was in Cannock for the lockdown and Wolves shirts easily the majority, followed by Villa and then seemingly Liverpool and Albion.

You were born in prison? Blimey! Remind me never to fall out with you.

Fear not, as those on here who know me can testify, I’m a foppish member of the metropolitan elite now. Those early years running the gummy bears racket on D wing set me up for life.

Offline Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #172 on: August 04, 2020, 10:45:40 PM »
Just remembered, and I've posted about this before on here, but when I was at uni in Cov I lived in Earlsdon. Down the Albany Road was a small sports shop and one day I saw in their window the home and away Villa tops from 1995/96 - the AST Computer tops. This was in 2011/12. They were on display, stretched out, for weeks. I wish I could have afforded to buy them!

Offline McGraths Dry Cleaning

« Reply #173 on: August 04, 2020, 11:07:40 PM »
I'm from Lichfield and was 10 in 1980 - prob 75% supported Villa at school. Rest mainy followed their Dad's team. Only knew two Blues fans at school. Moved to London when I was 18 and was surrouned by Liverpool/Man Utd fans.

Moved back up here about 10 ish years ago - live in Balsall Common which is majority Villa then Cov and Blues.

Offline Archbishop Herbert Cockthrottle

• GM : 06.07.2024
« Reply #174 on: August 05, 2020, 01:05:04 PM »
Just remembered, and I've posted about this before on here, but when I was at uni in Cov I lived in Earlsdon. Down the Albany Road was a small sports shop and one day I saw in their window the home and away Villa tops from 1995/96 - the AST Computer tops. This was in 2011/12. They were on display, stretched out, for weeks. I wish I could have afforded to buy them!

I live just round the corner from there. The sports shop has gone unfortunately but I am surprised that one of the slack jawed locals didn't put the window in.
I occasionally see the claret and blue been worn by kids playing footie down the park and yell out 'c'mon the Villa' when I'm passing.  Frightens the life out of them.

Online andrew08

• GM : 12.09.2021
« Reply #175 on: August 05, 2020, 01:22:39 PM »
‘My Dads family are all B’lose so I hate Villa’ has been a conversation stopper for many decades when talking to first Liverpool, then Man U, Chelsea and now City fans. Even if these people are still known to me I have no need to ever discuss footy with them. Although every four years I may go with the old ‘your dad’s an England fan so you support Germany or Brazil I take it?’  Always good for a reminder of their glory hunting status. Some actually do as well!

Offline ktvillan

• Location: In the land of Gazi Baba, pushing water uphill wth a fork
« Reply #176 on: August 05, 2020, 01:56:18 PM »
Born in Edgbaston, raised in Smethwick now in Four Oaks.  At school there were quite a few Villa, one Wolves fan and one Blues fan.  The rest were either ManYew plastics or claimed to be Albion, but  a lot of them never went to games.  Rough guess of those who expressed any allegiance I'd say about 25% were Villa, 30% plastics, and the rest boggies.  But quite a high proportion didn't seem that interested.  Sutton seems to be about 95% Villa.

When living away from Brum I encountered more noses than stripeys or wolves fans.  Most were ok but one of them, who was from Sutton,  was the biggest nastiest tosser you could wish to meet.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #177 on: August 05, 2020, 02:04:54 PM »
‘My Dads family are all B’lose so I hate Villa’ has been a conversation stopper for many decades when talking to first Liverpool, then Man U, Chelsea and now City fans. Even if these people are still known to me I have no need to ever discuss footy with them. Although every four years I may go with the old ‘your dad’s an England fan so you support Germany or Brazil I take it?’  Always good for a reminder of their glory hunting status. Some actually do as well!

I love that argument. Been using it for decades.

Offline Walmley_Villa

• GM : 21.08.2017
« Reply #178 on: August 05, 2020, 02:21:40 PM »
In my experience the majority of Brummie Red Man Utd fans are of Small Heath origin and moved to Utd because Blues were so bad. Hence the needle between Villa fans and Brummie Reds (at least in the late 80s and early 90s). 

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #179 on: August 05, 2020, 03:07:09 PM »
My dad's family are all blose, and I don't hate the Villa*. It's not obligatory, the weak-willed excuse-making nauseating twats.

*not 100% true 100% of the time.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal