collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

Re: FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 11:20:10 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 11:13:40 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Nev
[Today at 11:12:18 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Claret & Blue Brum/Midlands  (Read 19399 times)

Offline shirley_villan

Re: Claret & Blue Brum/Midlands
« Reply #45 on: August 03, 2020, 03:42:00 PM »
Shirley. I would guess around 50/50 with Blues probably edging it slightly.

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #46 on: August 03, 2020, 03:43:45 PM »
Mom from Witton, Dad from Pype Hayes. I grew up in Erdington then we moved to Sutton. Since leaving home I've always been around Erdington or Sutton.
Hence all of my family and virtually all friends have been Villa.
Albion fans vaguely register in my work or social circle. I've  only ever really known one Blues fan and I know he stopped going and I haven't really seen or heard from him in the last few years.

Offline fbriai

• GM : 31.01.2022
« Reply #47 on: August 03, 2020, 03:56:19 PM »
I'm from Worcester, which is definitely more Villa than Blues, but grew up in Wolverhampton, before moving to Brum (where I lived in plenty of different places). The old boy is from Alcester and me mom's from Worcester way. Alcester must be more Villa than Blues as it feels as though half the people living there are my relations and my family is 99% Villa.

I've mentioned before that I went to a big state comprehensive school on the edge of Wolvo and that there were more of us that went to the Villa on the 19-minute train than went to Molineux on a weekend (I could count that lot on one hand). Of course, when Jack Hayward took over they were all dyed in the wool, etc., but they were all Liverpool, Everton and Arsenal fans up until then.

That's all a long time ago though, as I've not lived in the UK for nearly 20 years. I can confirm that Pisa is a Villa hotspot, thanks to me and my lad. Plenty of both my mates and his have Villa tops and there's a good chance that, if you are ever walking along the river you'll see him playing behind the library with Mings 40 on his back.

No Blues here, although there is, famously, a West Brom fan. He's a local bloke who works on the local radio - even does an Anglo Calcio programme on a Thursday evening - when they go through the divisions and look at the results. They go all the way down to non-league. It's pretty impressive, as is his knowledge of English football in general. He's a Baggie, but he's a cracking lad to be fair. Him and the other chap who present it said some lovely stuff about big Cyrille and Ugo when they passed away.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2020, 04:22:13 PM »
Inspired by the off topic conversation about random Birmingham places, I must confess I find the geography of God's own back garden pretty intriguing. I've been to random islands in Thailand but was in my 30s before I'd heard of Stockland Green.

Haha where is this Ads? I remember years ago I was in town waiting for a bus back to my North Brum enclave, saw one was going to Weoley Castle, wondered where the hell that was so started a thread in OT asking if everyone had been and other random suburbs od Brum and think we got to about 45 pages in the end!

Anyway Walmley/Sutton. Loads of Villa here, the odd WBA/SHA floating around. Strangely last week on a walk up to Wylde Green I saw three people wearing various Arsenal kits from the last 20 years.

Offline villa_cads

« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2020, 04:26:16 PM »
I didn't know any blues fans at school in Sutton until a friend 'came out' after those derby defeats in the early 2000s. I have a uncle I didn't know was a blue nose until a few years ago too, kept it quite for 30 odd years! They're like those rugby fans who only talk football to mock your team when they lose, insufferable.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2020, 04:27:02 PM »
Based mainly on places I have drank on a regular/semi-regular basis, I reckon Solihull is the biggest Blose stronghold.

Was driving in Kings Norton once with my Nan. Stopped off just up from the station for a quick pub lunch and on entrance to my horror they had a massive team picture of SHA on the wall.

Chris Smith might disagree with me but I'd say Kings Norton/Longbridge/Northfield part is most SHA area of the city given how close it is to their training ground and then they get the out of towners from likes of Redditch that they think just applies to us.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2020, 04:38:57 PM »
Inspired by the off topic conversation about random Birmingham places, I must confess I find the geography of God's own back garden pretty intriguing. I've been to random islands in Thailand but was in my 30s before I'd heard of Stockland Green.

Haha where is this Ads? I remember years ago I was in town waiting for a bus back to my North Brum enclave, saw one was going to Weoley Castle, wondered where the hell that was so started a thread in OT asking if everyone had been and other random suburbs od Brum and think we got to about 45 pages in the end!

Anyway Walmley/Sutton. Loads of Villa here, the odd WBA/SHA floating around. Strangely last week on a walk up to Wylde Green I saw three people wearing various Arsenal kits from the last 20 years.

Think the 002 white bus way back in the day went to Weoley Castle. Its a bit beyond Quinton I think. Never been there mind, or so I thought.

Parents produced a baby picture of me the other week that they'd had done professionally and it turns out it was my best mates dad who did it, when they lived there. 1987. Yikes.

Offline Holte132

« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2020, 04:42:58 PM »
I was born in Great Barr and now I'm close to Lichfield. Mum was born in Aston in 1920 and used to 'mind' the cars for the Villa fans on match days.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2020, 04:50:13 PM »
I went to primary school in Bournville '71-77, and I'd say it was undoubtedly more nose. Secondary school in Selly Oak and tbh I don't really remember football supporting being a 'thing' there, far more likely to get into a heated debate about music.

I spent the first 40 years of my life in and around Bournville, Cotteridge, Stirchley, Kings Norton and Kings Heath, and I'd say all more nose than Villa.

Now in Smethwick/Bearwood area, and I've got three Villa near-neighbours, but no sign of a stripe. The only time I notice them out is if they're on the telly in the pub. A solitary nose, too, but he never goes and only mentions football in passing if we've not had an optimal result. At our boy's school there's not much supporting apparent. One of his best mates comes from a solid baggies household and goes to their soccer school, but other than him I don't think there's much club interest amongst the kids, sadly.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2020, 04:51:10 PM »
I live in Nechells. Split about 50/50 I'd say but the more unfriendly/twattish types usually noses.
Obviously Nechells has gone downhill. In my day it was solid Villa.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2020, 04:51:55 PM »
Anybody on here from Hollywood and California?

Online Deano's Mullet

« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2020, 04:53:49 PM »
What about Lozells? I reckon that’s Villa mainly.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2020, 05:08:36 PM »
Anybody on here from Hollywood and California?

Such a lovely place.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2020, 05:11:31 PM »
Based mainly on places I have drank on a regular/semi-regular basis, I reckon Solihull is the biggest Blose stronghold.

Was driving in Kings Norton once with my Nan. Stopped off just up from the station for a quick pub lunch and on entrance to my horror they had a massive team picture of SHA on the wall.

Chris Smith might disagree with me but I'd say Kings Norton/Longbridge/Northfield part is most SHA area of the city given how close it is to their training ground and then they get the out of towners from likes of Redditch that they think just applies to us.

You need to go further East for the major Bluenose areas I think. The Turves Green side of Longbridge is probably more them but Northfield and Kings Norton are more mixed. Would it be The Camp you were in? Not been in for years but it wouldn’t surprise me, I don’t use it but the others in close proximity didn’t have posters up when I’ve been in.

Online WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2020, 05:12:26 PM »
I went to primary school in Bournville '71-77, and I'd say it was undoubtedly more nose. Secondary school in Selly Oak and tbh I don't really remember football supporting being a 'thing' there, far more likely to get into a heated debate about music.

I spent the first 40 years of my life in and around Bournville, Cotteridge, Stirchley, Kings Norton and Kings Heath, and I'd say all more nose than Villa.

Now in Smethwick/Bearwood area, and I've got three Villa near-neighbours, but no sign of a stripe. The only time I notice them out is if they're on the telly in the pub. A solitary nose, too, but he never goes and only mentions football in passing if we've not had an optimal result. At our boy's school there's not much supporting apparent. One of his best mates comes from a solid baggies household and goes to their soccer school, but other than him I don't think there's much club interest amongst the kids, sadly.

I went to Bournville junior from 77 and then Damo and lived around Selly Oak till I went to uni. It's a long time ago now but it was pretty split then between Blues and Villa, probably more Villa, hardly any Albion and the normal contingent of Liverpool glory hunters and for a while Forest.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal