collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Johan Lange - appointed  (Read 47228 times)

Offline thick_mike

• GM : 26.02.2025
Re: Johan Lange - appointed
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2020, 12:47:40 PM »
So, old Lange signed?

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2020, 12:48:43 PM »
Find us the next Dwight Yorke or Christian Benteke and you’ll be just grand.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2020, 12:49:20 PM »
Interesting that the press release is from the owners rather than the CEO, and that they explicitly note the he'll report directly to them.

Well to be precise it says that Lange will be reporting to the board.  As a director, Purslow is obviously part of 'the board' as in "board of directors" but it is a strange way to word things.  Purslow next one for the curly finger?

Offline Risso

« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2020, 12:49:43 PM »

Offline Ben.H

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2020, 12:50:38 PM »
Interesting that the press release is from the owners rather than the CEO, and that they explicitly note the he'll report directly to them.
Is that this bit?

"This is a great opportunity to improve our football operations. We’re excited to work directly with Johan and the team to strengthen our analytics, sports science, talent recruitment and player development programmes."

Edit: Sorry, I missed the bit where it said he reports directly to the board. 
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 12:53:32 PM by Ben.H »

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2020, 12:52:37 PM »
i hope he has some instant targets in mind

Offline Risso

« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2020, 12:52:43 PM »
"Improve our footballing operations."  Oooof, poor Suso, talk about kicking a bloke while he's down.

Offline garyellis

« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2020, 12:53:01 PM »
So, old Lange signed?

Brilliant just brilliant

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2020, 12:53:54 PM »
Before even reading his plan for Copenhagen you would know they are a big fish in a small pond and have to rely on finding players early and moving them on at a profit.

They have this opportunity because players can be placated by winning most of their domestic fixtures and picking up trophies and putting themselves in the shop window in the bigger European games.

His challenge with us will be quite different.  Realistically we won't be winning the majority of our domestic fixtures in the short > medium term and won't have European competition as the bigger marketplace/ shop window. 

We will need players who will need to come in and hit the ground running in what is one of the most demanding leagues in the world. 

They won't have the luxury of trotting around in the Danish Superliga and racking up a few easy 3-0/4-0 wins if the higher standard of competition is too spicy for them.

The more data driven approach chimes with what Edens said earlier in the season so I can see the logic there. But I'll be honest and say I was hoping to land a sporting director who would put us in a better position to make acquisitions at the higher end of the market, be that Michael Emenalo, Frank Arnesen or similar.

Sort of like Suso - before he decided that the only leagues worth bothering with were in Belgium and Turkey. 

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2020, 12:54:16 PM »
Welcome to VP, KD.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2020, 12:56:52 PM »
So, old Lange signed?

KD will be happy we have Lange

Offline garyellis

« Reply #41 on: July 30, 2020, 01:00:26 PM »
Before even reading his plan for Copenhagen you would know they are a big fish in a small pond and have to rely on finding players early and moving them on at a profit.

They have this opportunity because players can be placated by winning most of their domestic fixtures and picking up trophies and putting themselves in the shop window in the bigger European games.

His challenge with us will be quite different.  Realistically we won't be winning the majority of our domestic fixtures in the short > medium term and won't have European competition as the bigger marketplace/ shop window. 

We will need players who will need to come in and hit the ground running in what is one of the most demanding leagues in the world. 

They won't have the luxury of trotting around in the Danish Superliga and racking up a few easy 3-0/4-0 wins if the higher standard of competition is too spicy for them.

The more data driven approach chimes with what Edens said earlier in the season so I can see the logic there. But I'll be honest and say I was hoping to land a sporting director who would put us in a better position to make acquisitions at the higher end of the market, be that Michael Emenalo, Frank Arnesen or similar.

Sort of like Suso - before he decided that the only leagues worth bothering with were in Belgium and Turkey. 

I can't see why you one precludes the other. The higher end of the market are there for all to see if you have the budget. I do not think it is the sporting director who makes the difference in those situations. For example if we want to sign a proven striker such as Callum Wilson I am sure Dean would be the main driver for making it happen.

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2020, 01:03:54 PM »

Offline Chris Stares

« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2020, 01:06:08 PM »
"Under his watch, Copenhagen have enjoyed a period of domestic dominance while also earning a reputation for signing players on small fees before selling them for major profit."

And how many seasons does it take for these players to come good? What about buying good players who are say, good now?

The one does not preclude the other.  They are not mutually-exclusive.

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2020, 01:12:51 PM »
i hope he has some instant targets in mind

You'd like to think he mentioned a few potentials at interview stage.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal