collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Johan Lange - appointed  (Read 46991 times)

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
Re: Johan Lange - appointed
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2020, 01:15:48 PM »
So who are his scouting successes ?

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2020, 01:24:28 PM »
I like the idea of finding younger players with potential to play at the top level in Europe, but I do worry about the timescales behind 'developing' them.   We've had players who developed after they left us, and I hope we can start developing and keeping them - I guess it comes down to how much leeway we're willing to give players AS they develop, rather than being brilliant on day one.  We'd probably be a better side today with the likes of Traore and Vertout in our squad.

Chelsea did this a few years ago, signing loads of young players with huge potential, but then couldn't keep them all happy. Imagine their side now if they'd kept De Bruyne and Salah, who were both moved on for about £15m.

I'm optimistic about the appointment, but hope it's not an indication we're not also looking at the top end of the market.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #47 on: July 30, 2020, 01:27:13 PM »
Why can’t we do both? Just because his CV highlights what he did really well in his previous position doesn’t mean that’s all we will do. Now that we’ve stayed up we will likely look to recruit nearer the top of the food chain but also invest wisely in players that bring long term value. The latter is what Leicester do really well and something I hope we do a lot more of.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #48 on: July 30, 2020, 01:32:04 PM »
Let's not forget the role Lange has, it's the management of the scouting network. It's not entirely on him to go out and find players, hopefully he can put together a team across the world to find us the best potential targets.

Offline enigma

« Reply #49 on: July 30, 2020, 01:32:06 PM »

• Off the top of my head I cannot think of a Scandinavian player at Villa that has been a dud -
Nicklas Helenius
Allback
Okore

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2020, 01:34:52 PM »

• Off the top of my head I cannot think of a Scandinavian player at Villa that has been a dud -
Nicklas Helenius
Allback
Okore

Allback wasn't great but he saved us in 02-03 with that goal spree, similar to Trez in a way and he was just a low cost squad signing.

Okore played two games before doing his ACL and was highly rated when we got him.

Yeah Helenius didn't work out for a few reasons as was said after he left, now back playing in Denmark.

It's always a good market to look at as they can adapt to England no problem.[/list]

Offline markeeeebeeee2005

« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2020, 01:35:43 PM »
Interesting that the press release is from the owners rather than the CEO, and that they explicitly note the he'll report directly to them.

Well to be precise it says that Lange will be reporting to the board.  As a director, Purslow is obviously part of 'the board' as in "board of directors" but it is a strange way to word things.  Purslow next one for the curly finger?

I read this that the owners have analysed what they think went well and not so well this season and have restructured accordingly. I don’t think Purslow will go now, but his role has been narrowed. It’s something of a warning to him to focus on his area of expertise and not so much footballing matters particularly transfers.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2020, 01:35:55 PM »
Nyland won't be getting into too many All-Time Best XI Villa selections either.

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2020, 01:36:40 PM »
It is very reassuring that they have replaced Suso so quickly, leaving us a whole transfer window for the new appointment to get his business done.

He has a good CV (but so did Suso), but we can only guess if he will be good for Villa.
Slight concern is that players that can find their feet in the Danish League becoming good enough for our League may flounder when put straight in at Premier League level. So will have to look for different kind of players here than he did at Copenhagen. Having said that he sounds driven and able to adapt. Lets hope he is a big success.

Offline ASHTONVILLA

« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2020, 01:41:15 PM »

• Off the top of my head I cannot think of a Scandinavian player at Villa that has been a dud - typically very good technical ability, good athleticism, usually fluent English speakers from day 1.

Let me help you
    Ball clanger Nyland!!! And pants down Helenius (thought tbf I think Helenius experienced off field issues and was seriously ill. )

But if he gets the new, Schmeichel  Martin Laursen and Jon Carew we are laughing !

Schmeichel was awful for us too for that matter. Leonhardsen and Bakke weren't great either.[/list]

Offline ASHTONVILLA

« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2020, 01:44:20 PM »
    Sorrenson

He was far from the worst Keeper we have had, but yes our list of Scandinavian keepers makes scary reading. Sorensen, past best Schmeichel, Nyland and Enckleman!

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
    « Reply #56 on: July 30, 2020, 01:44:23 PM »
    Peter Enckelman won’t make our Hall of Fame but is revered by the knuckledraggers

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
    « Reply #57 on: July 30, 2020, 01:47:56 PM »
    Welcome, and please don't be shit.

Offline Stinkin_Thinkin

« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2020, 01:48:14 PM »
    Is Dennis Rommedahl still available?

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #59 on: July 30, 2020, 01:50:23 PM »
    Very unfair on Sorenson who was pretty good for us before O'Neill bombed him out, particularly in O'Dreary's first season when we finished 6th.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal