collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Johan Lange - appointed  (Read 46275 times)

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
Re: Johan Lange - appointed
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2020, 12:19:45 PM »
I think it will be a Lange term appointment.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2020, 12:19:52 PM »
I guess its a good talent to have to be able to find good players in the first place!

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2024
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2020, 12:20:14 PM »
My only slight concern, is that he sounds like a Sporting Director we should have had for the last 2 seasons, but not for the upcoming season.

Can see that, the model being buying and selling. He sounds like he can innovate.

He’s been consistently successful at least and I like

“We have a strong culture, a proactive strategy, stability among key personnel and a very clear style of play," Lange tells Sky Sports.

"Without those four things, I don't think we would have had any chance of punching above our weight in the European competitions for such a long period."

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2024
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2020, 12:22:50 PM »
I guess its a good talent to have to be able to find good players in the first place!

Strong point, well made.
I guess it’s the sort of problem we want, if others want our players as they are so goood.

Offline Dazvillain

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2020, 12:26:52 PM »
Welcome sir, glad we’ve got someone with a proven track record.  Very impressive. I know you’re reporting direct to the board... that’s just for your immediate budget. Go speak to Deano he’ll tell you exactly what we need to improve . About £150m on about six players I think 👍🏻
Great statement of intent from the owners too who really do seem committed

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2020, 12:27:57 PM »
Go and find us the next Anders Limpard, Freddie Llungberg, Martin Laursen and Zlatan Ibrahimovic please!

Sounds like a good, solid appointment, quickly undertaken so no time is lost for this transfer window.  Looks promising.

Offline Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2020, 12:35:54 PM »
Surely he can't do any worse than the last bloke.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2020, 12:36:37 PM »
I think this is great signing. If we have to spend 2-3 seasons bringing players in, getting them ready to play for a champions league club and then move them on I'm ok with that, if we can become a club that young players want to join then that can only be good for us.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2020, 12:40:45 PM »
I would hope he's the type who will come to the table having done his homework already, with a shortlist of players that he believes would improve us instantly - while also being willing to work with Dean on any targets he might have identified for specific roles.

If we can get the director/manager dynamic right this season, with the backing of the owners, we have an opportunity to kick on.

Offline Duncan Shaw

« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2020, 12:42:39 PM »
If he is reporting straight to the board is that bypassing Purslow? 

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2020, 12:42:57 PM »
Welcome and good luck.  Now please go and find us a couple of good 'uns.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2020, 12:43:37 PM »
Interesting that the press release is from the owners rather than the CEO, and that they explicitly note the he'll report directly to them.

Offline Russ aka Big Nose

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2020, 12:44:41 PM »
The speed of appointment suggests he was lined up - which (if true) means a considered plan being followed.

I don't know anything about him, but clearly wish him luck. A few other observations:
  • If there was some truth in the 'issue' between Suso and Purslow and the former's relationship with the owners, then the owners have been clear - Lange reports to them
  • If he can find gems that is what every club wants. If he does that at Copenhagen, then their business models is that the gems need to polished and sold for a big profit, though in other clubs (us, hopefully in the next few years) those same gems can be developed further to be even better
  • Off the top of my head I cannot think of a Scandinavian player at Villa that has been a dud - typically very good technical ability, good athleticism, usually fluent English speakers from day 1.
It might be post PL survival positivity, but it feels like a very good move. UTV

Offline Tuscans

• GM : 08.02.15
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2020, 12:44:44 PM »
"Under his watch, Copenhagen have enjoyed a period of domestic dominance while also earning a reputation for signing players on small fees before selling them for major profit."

And how many seasons does it take for these players to come good? What about buying good players who are say, good now?

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2020, 12:46:37 PM »
If he is reporting straight to the board is that bypassing Purslow? 

It does read that way.

If I had to guess, the owners have told Purslow his domain is strictly on the business and commercial side of things, under the board's auspices, while the footballing workstream is Board -> Sporting Director -> Manager and Staff.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal