collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: I don't know about you but.  (Read 4412 times)

Offline Colhint

• GM : 02.12.2016
I don't know about you but.
« on: July 27, 2020, 11:26:32 PM »
I couldn't watch the game. I was thinking about it all week. The cricket was on so I watched that, kept flicking to the scores, well it felt like every second. I decided to only check them after every over, but failed every time. After the game I checked every bit of news and social media I could.  In the tough times I spent most of my time in off topic, don't think I've been there since.

I'm a mature adult, but I don't think I could ever criticise a thirteen year old Justin Bieber fan again, I felt the same they must feel.

Man was it heart wrenching painful agony and joy in under 2 hours.

And yet, I think I felt like a guy who had been rejected for every job interview he had ever applied for and then get a letter saying we'd like to meet you next week.

Saying all of that I wouldn't swap it for a cofortamably numb mid placed position in whichever league season after season.  The aim being only to survive.

Man it feels good. 

Thanks Villa,

Sorry I have had a post match beer.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
Re: I don't know about you but.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 11:43:31 PM »
I know what you mean.  Villa cowardice reared its ugly head in the shape of a middle aged man lying in the dark in the wee small hours staring at a wiring fan shitting himself about a set of football matches 12,000 miles away that he was too afraid to watch - even though they were all available on his phone sat literally inches away.

I finally checked the scores with approximately 10 minutes remaining- and bricked it some more.

As far as the Villa are concerned, I dont think i'm ever going to grow out of this now.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 11:45:40 PM »
I didn't watch it.

Went upstairs, turned off my phone, and lay on my bed for two hours, then turned my phone on to see what had happened.

I absolutely have no problem watching us when i am at the match, I am supremely calm, but I can not watch us on television, I find it horrible, and in situations like this it's too much.

Online Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 11:51:50 PM »
I admire the strength of character not to watch or to keep up to date with how it was all going.  I don't have BT so couldn't watch and kept flicking from channel to channel on Sky Sports to see the Arsenal and Everton scores and then back to the Jeff Stelling show.  My mate was watching the game and texting me updates, every time one came in, I was more nervous than the last.  Heart in my mouth for the whole two hours and I don't want to go through that again.  Dean and his equalibrium. Meh!! Never again please Villa.

Offline The_ads

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 12:10:19 AM »
I didn’t either. I live in Sutton and decided to turn phone off and cycle to VP.  The suspension got the better of me and turned phone back on just as we went 1-0 up and then had a hellish 10 mins staring at Live Score praying West Ham didn’t score a second. Like the above poster I simply cannot stand watching it on tv

Offline dave17

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 02:54:16 AM »
I watched but it wasn’t easy. Beats 2015/6 when there was no hope

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 09:19:43 AM »
I know what you mean.  Villa cowardice reared its ugly head in the shape of a middle aged man lying in the dark in the wee small hours staring at a wiring fan shitting himself about a set of football matches 12,000 miles away that he was too afraid to watch - even though they were all available on his phone sat literally inches away.

I finally checked the scores with approximately 10 minutes remaining- and bricked it some more.

As far as the Villa are concerned, I dont think i'm ever going to grow out of this now.

Ha! You big chickun! I watched it. Was very calmly confident until the deflected equaliser, then it was nail biting time. I actually thought we’d go a goal down and have to claw it back to 2-1, thought we’d need all 3 points.

Online amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2020, 09:29:18 AM »
Exactly the same as last year.

I was a sick with nerves and heart pounding for the Arsenal game as I was at the play off semi final game at The Hawthorns.

......& then just like the play off final last year, a weird calmness descended for the West Ham game. Of course I wasn’t completely certain, but both times it really did just feel like it was ours, like I couldn’t call to mind any visualisation of it not going our way.

Just like when Derby pulled one back last year, I had a mild wobble when West Ham equalised, but nothing like the nerves of Albion or Arsenal.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2020, 10:09:10 AM »
My eldest came round to watch it and had to keep leaving the room as he was struggling, he’s on a health kick so isn’t drinking at the moment which probably didn’t help. I had no such hindrance and I think the fact that Watford went three down steadied my nerves so it wasn’t until after the West Ham equaliser that my nerves kicked in and I had to put that game on my iPod so I could keep an eye on both.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2020, 10:16:22 AM »
Just like when Derby pulled one back last year, I had a mild wobble when West Ham equalised

The last few minutes at Wembley were excrutiating. I couldn't watch - first time I've ever had it this bad when actually at a game - and went down into the concourse, expecting to be the only person there, was amazed how many others were there, pacing up and down, fingers in ears.

Next season it'd be nice to have a comfortable, low key finish to the season, rather than continue this run of three consecutive seasons where we've been playing for massive stakes until the final kick of the season!

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2020, 10:27:15 AM »
Don't have BT so couldn't watch. Decided to stop watching non-Villa Premier League games a few weeks earlier and so had to stick with that as Watford had been on a bad run so didn't want to unjinx them by watching Sky.

Normally I only allow myself to check the score after 16, 32 and 48 minutes of each half (don't ask why, I just do). But I was unable to stop checking here, Fotmob and Bet365 every thirty seconds or so.

My nerves weren't helped by constant vague WhatsApp messages such as "omg" and "fuck" when you've no idea which game they're watching...

At least I had the pleasant distraction of racing to be first to commemorate the passing of Ms De Havilland. I decided that if I was first on H&V to post the news, Villa would stay up.

Jumped around like a lunatic when I received confirmation that not only had Grealish scored, but it wasn't subject to VAR. Then back to agonising and pacing up and down about a minute later. Didn't allow myself to celebrate when Villa was full time, just in case something insane happened at Arsenal.

Full time at Arsenal, more jumping around like a lunatic.

Got ready to go out on the piss, but for some reason the Bluenose acquaintance I had agreed to meet had gone off the idea...

Offline fbriai

• GM : 31.01.2022
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2020, 10:29:02 AM »
I watched it with my lad, as always - he's got it as bad as I have! I say I watched it, but we actually watched the 'diretta gol' which switches between all of the matches continuously. The Leicester - Man Utd game was on live here.

I didn't sleep properly for a week leading up to the game and spent the days beforehand trying not to think about it too much. The day itself was difficult, especially the hour or two before kick-off.

The match itself seemed to last for ever. I tried to break it up into pieces: first 10 minutes gone and we are still up; first third gone and we are still up; halfway through and we are still up; two-thirds gone, etc. The last ten and extra time seemed to last forever.

Bournemouth going into the lead was obviously the big worry, but I was never in a panic. Reflecting on it now, there was never a moment in the whole game when we weren't safe. Watford imploding obviously helped there, but our destiny was always in our own hands.

That said, I'm sure our street wondered what the hell was going on with the screaming and shouting when Jack scored. It just feels such an important moment. I really like this team and the manager, their attitude. Had we lost we'd have been back to square one. I was in bits at full-time. Jeez, what a club, what a sport, what emotion! I feel so lucky to have shared the past two seasons with my lad. Memories no-one will ever take away.

UTV!

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2020, 10:31:54 AM »
Just like when Derby pulled one back last year, I had a mild wobble when West Ham equalised

The last few minutes at Wembley were excrutiating. I couldn't watch - first time I've ever had it this bad when actually at a game - and went down into the concourse, expecting to be the only person there, was amazed how many others were there, pacing up and down, fingers in ears.

Next season it'd be nice to have a comfortable, low key finish to the season, rather than continue this run of three consecutive seasons where we've been playing for massive stakes until the final kick of the season!

The last ten minutes at Wembley were unbearable, far worse than the West Ham game, as obviously Derby had a bit more motivation to win the game.

Offline Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2020, 10:34:24 AM »
Apart from the Antonio miss, I felt very calm for most of the game.

The direct free-kicks on the edge of the box were a bit disconcerting, though...

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2020, 10:39:05 AM »
Our internet's on the blink so I had to sit in the corridor with the laptop plugged in directly to avoid problems. I must have looked like a maniac, sitting on the ground next to the bathroom, rocking back and forth, giving off occasional yelps.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal