collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: I don't know about you but.  (Read 4414 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: I don't know about you but.
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2020, 10:42:33 AM »
Apart from the Antonio miss, I felt very calm for most of the game.

The direct free-kicks on the edge of the box were a bit disconcerting, though...

Thankfully Rice was doing his best Tonev impresson all game and blasted them all into row Z!

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2020, 10:47:40 AM »
I couldn't watch it, and left the kids to watch it (in separate rooms).

I went for a 2 hour walk around South London, making sure my mobile data was off as my watch kept getting twitter notifications, sofascore updates and various other rubbish. I tuned the data on every 10 mins or so, and then turned it off and carried on walking. With about 10 mins to go I had made it back to the park by the house. I then couldn't get any phone coverage. I rebooted the phone but nothing would work. I then walked back to the house whereby the wifi kicked in.

The first update I got was a tweet saying that "Jack looks gutted". I felt sick, and then saw that it was because they had scored straight after us. I decided to sit on the front step until I heard the youngest scream in celebration.

Rang the doorbell, jumped around a bit and then we realised Watford were still playing.

I have given myself a stern talking to since Sunday that I will not get myself into such a state again.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2020, 11:43:43 AM »
I didn't watch it.

Went upstairs, turned off my phone, and lay on my bed for two hours, then turned my phone on to see what had happened.

I absolutely have no problem watching us when i am at the match, I am supremely calm, but I can not watch us on television, I find it horrible, and in situations like this it's too much.

This is me with every game I can't physically see in the flesh right up to the Arsenal game.  I think had I watched the Everton game I wouldn't have watched any more TV games ever that Villa feature in.  I managed the Shef Utd game out of curiosity but didn't enjoy it till it was over.  No way was I putting myself through that again.  So, for the remainder of the season the dog would get a 2 hour walk with phone muted while I wished each of our games to be finished.  After the Everton game I met up with friends in the pub who suffered it.  They were all very down, saying "we were down", "f***** it up",  "chance to save ourselves squandered" "El Ghazi..this and that".  I was strangely a bit more upbeat as we were still in with a chance, (a draw at Everton, even a poor Everton is a good point).  We had a chance, a slim one, but a chance nevertheless.  I spoke of beating Arsenal, and was derided for such nonsense even though my optimism was appreciated.  To cement my showing of optimism I had to attend the next TV game in the pub with them.  One of the best TV game experiences I can remember.  Not the game itself but the relief at the final whistle and resulting celebrations.  I was strangely more relaxed for the West Ham game. We were at the point where 3 weeks earlier you could have only dreamed of being at. Don't get me wrong, I was nervous throughout but the way we played gave me hope and once you cut out stupid mistakes, defend well and have something about you going forward it does help the nerves.  For once the hope didn't kill. Am I now over my Villa on TV anxiety?  I doubt it.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2020, 11:46:19 AM »
Went for a long solo bike ride, stopped around 5:50 to check BBC scores, the Everton game still going all others that mattered were FT, frantic page refreshing ensued, results confirmed and 4 hours into a ride I had a renewed sense of energy for the final 10km or so.

Offline simon ward 50

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2020, 11:58:45 AM »
I did watch from about 25 minutes in as my 3 sons were all at home watching it and they called me out for being coward!

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2020, 12:04:01 PM »
Apart from the Antonio miss, I felt very calm for most of the game.

The direct free-kicks on the edge of the box were a bit disconcerting, though...

Thankfully Rice was doing his best Tonev impresson all game and blasted them all into row Z!

I do like Declan Rice.  I saw him twice in a month live in September when I went to Villa v West Ham and England v Bulgaria and he was very good in both games.  He was very complimentary of Villa fans after the game in September too on Twitter.  Finally, when we really needed him, he put every shot in the Westfield shopping centre on Sunday.

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2020, 12:08:38 PM »
I didn't watch it.

Went upstairs, turned off my phone, and lay on my bed for two hours, then turned my phone on to see what had happened.

I absolutely have no problem watching us when i am at the match, I am supremely calm, but I can not watch us on television, I find it horrible, and in situations like this it's too much.

Same as you. Atthe match fine but watching Villa on TV is horrible especially last Sunday!
I was out of coverage having a sunday lunch but drove back in to coverage with 10mins to go, missus asked if I wanted to know what was happening...NO!!! At 6pm looked at the Beeb a nervous wreck...then my rectum prolapsed.

Offline Bobby Boy

• GM : 20.04.2022
« Reply #22 on: July 28, 2020, 12:14:21 PM »
I watched it for 82 minutes  and knowing that Bournemouth were winning just got a severe attack of the Villa Fear and had to turn the TV off...

Checking her phone 30 seconds later my partner said 'Villa have scored'.

'What do you mean we' ve scored?' cue a mad scramble for the remote.

Turns TV on' West Ham 1 Aston Villa 1'.

'How can it be 1-1? It was 0-0 three minutes ago? You said Villa were winning 1-0'.

'Villa were winning 1-0'

'oh, I can' t deal with this' Turns TV off again...

Back on 5 minutes later and the boys are in a huddle waiting for confirmation of the Arsenal result.

'Well they don' t look devastated.... '

I'm way too old for this.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #23 on: July 28, 2020, 12:18:41 PM »
I watched it all, apart from the West Ham free-kick just outside the box when McGinn stuxk out his leg behind him. I was not a happy bunny.

I turned the volume down and looked away. Left it for a minute before I could bear to watch.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #24 on: July 28, 2020, 12:22:27 PM »
I didn’t watch, hate watching it on TV and I think my poor wife hates me watching it on TV as well. Watched some other recordings and had a plan to look at the score at ten past six. About six wifey asked me if I wanted to know the score, I asked if the three matches were completed and she replied “no but it doesn’t matter” aghast I gambled and looked ....as they say the rest is history. Amazingly she had followed the whole match online, without, as they say, “giving the game away”

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2020, 01:41:32 PM »
I was determined not to watch it and went to bed, didn't get to sleep thinking about it so got up ten minutes before the kick off. I kept switching between Villa and Bournemouth games as Watford were three down early. As another poster I changed channels with ten to go then changed back with six left to see we were one up and within seconds they scored. i didn't watch any of the game then until 30 seconds of injury time. At my age this is crazy stuff but that's a life time of the Villa for ya.

Offline mallo

• GM : 28.03.2021
« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2020, 03:28:46 PM »
I signed up for BTsport and streamed it to the TV - it was terrifying. Once Bournemouth got the 3rd I was all over the place, we did close the game out well though and I thought West Ham weren't really that bothered about winning.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #27 on: July 28, 2020, 03:56:15 PM »
I couldn't watch it until it was over.

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2020, 04:53:36 PM »
My one son went on a long run.  The other one went on an even longer bike ride.  I cannot bear to watch them on TV.  In the flesh I am nervous but sane.  For the Arsenal game I drove to the middle of Newmarket Heath and sat in my car for the whole game plus half an hour in case of massive stoppage time.  Then I turned on my phone to find out the score.  That worked so I did the same for the Wet Spam game.  I never want to go through that week ever again.  Both my sons since the game, independently have sent me texts saying they had dreamed that we did not get relegated.  I had an identical dream.  I expect I shall wake up in a minute

Offline McGraths Dry Cleaning

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2020, 05:03:08 PM »
Watched it with the kids. High pressure matches are exciting. Its much easier at a game for sure - being surrounded by 40k Villa makes me feel warm inside but I love to live these games. Intense but we prevailed. Don't get me wrong I'd much rather have avoided the situation but personally I couldn't not watch.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal