collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Reserves and Academy 2020-21  (Read 100063 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Reserves and Academy 2020-21
« Reply #615 on: April 29, 2021, 10:28:30 AM »
Highlights of Chuckie here. He looks very, very smooth

https://twitter.com/thetalkvilla/status/1387180947402014722?s=21

Why on earth aren't we giving him a try instead of Fat Ross? I know that it's a big step up gtom kids football, but he really couldn't be any worse, and who knows he might just actually do very well.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #616 on: April 29, 2021, 12:48:30 PM »
The clear sign of a good player is that thy look like they have all the time in the world to decide what they want to do, Jack had it at that age as well. I'd 100% have him ahead of Ross right now if for no other reason than to see how he copes with the step up in physicality and quality. If he finds it hard then net season he goes out to the championship for half a season to toughen him up but if he settles in and looks the part then everyone wins.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #617 on: April 29, 2021, 01:13:15 PM »
The clear sign of a good player is that thy look like they have all the time in the world to decide what they want to do, Jack had it at that age as well. I'd 100% have him ahead of Ross right now if for no other reason than to see how he copes with the step up in physicality and quality. If he finds it hard then net season he goes out to the championship for half a season to toughen him up but if he settles in and looks the part then everyone wins.

Agreed, I can't see what we've got to lose from having a look at him. Even if he's complete bobbins, it's giving him valuable experience of coming on and having a run at Premier League defences. That has to be more valuable than hoping against hope that on loan Barkley is magically going to come good again.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #618 on: April 29, 2021, 01:16:57 PM »
He's training with the first team so the coaches will be able to see whether he's ready for the physicality.

While Bellingham was brought up earlier, that could be countered by the example of Foden who Pep held back for a season or two until he's only now starting to use him a lot more. It's up to the coaches to assess when a player is ready and how to bring them through. There have been cases in the past where too much has been expected too soon from a player and that player not coping well with that.

However it happens though, we've got some promising players that we can be excited about and with the significance the owners are placing on youth development at the club, it's probably only the beginning.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #619 on: April 29, 2021, 01:28:18 PM »
He's training with the first team so the coaches will be able to see whether he's ready for the physicality.

While Bellingham was brought up earlier, that could be countered by the example of Foden who Pep held back for a season or two until he's only now starting to use him a lot more. It's up to the coaches to assess when a player is ready and how to bring them through. There have been cases in the past where too much has been expected too soon from a player and that player not coping well with that.

However it happens though, we've got some promising players that we can be excited about and with the significance the owners are placing on youth development at the club, it's probably only the beginning.

That's all true but no one benefits from Chuk bullying a bunch of U18s like he did the other day, he's so far ahead of that standard that he needs to be pushed to a higher level. He's been with the U23s most of the season but even there he's looked a cut above in most games. There's also the fact that his form in the last month has jumped so much that, like Kessler, he needs a chance from the bench as a reward if nothing else. For all the U23 and U18 players it would be a massive incentive if they had multiple examples of players doing well at that level and it being noted and acted upon at senior level.

Foden is actually a fantastic example though, he was similarly too good for the age group level he'd been at and was pushed up to be around the first team squad for about half a season before they started giving him appearances here and there and he'd come off the bench about 10-12 times before he turned 18. It's taken 2 more years for him to force his way into the team as a regular starter but those early appearances were an important part of the process.

Online caster troy

« Reply #620 on: April 29, 2021, 01:55:54 PM »
I think Foden would have been playing more games earlier if Man City's other options had been Barkley/El Ghazi standard.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #621 on: April 29, 2021, 03:06:06 PM »
Highlights of Chuckie here. He looks very, very smooth

https://twitter.com/thetalkvilla/status/1387180947402014722?s=21
We're going to have to retire the number 10 shirt soon.

Online Tayls_7

• GM : 13.09.2024
« Reply #622 on: April 29, 2021, 05:20:52 PM »
What I particularly like about Chukwuemeka is when he goes down he gets back up again  :o

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #623 on: April 29, 2021, 05:25:36 PM »

You can hold Foden back when you have Man City’s incredible midfield that walked to the title. We have a midfielder group that is injured and/or struggling to find form. And we are safe now. I would much rather we played some of the youngsters in low pressure games than persist with Barkley or Elmo to name two.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #624 on: April 29, 2021, 05:40:00 PM »
It would also take some of the heat off Smith, keep losing trying to get performances out of his regulars as opposed to giving some of the youngsters a go would at least look like he is building for next season.

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #625 on: April 29, 2021, 07:43:47 PM »
It would also take some of the heat off Smith, keep losing trying to get performances out of his regulars as opposed to giving some of the youngsters a go would at least look like he is building for next season.

That’s a good point.  Having Kessler and Chuck both playing might also focus the mind if the other players too, step up or risk a hammering.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #626 on: April 29, 2021, 07:59:04 PM »
Must admit, I would have played Kessler the other night but that's from someone who doesn't have any pressure on them.

I think a lot of these kids will be having more competitive football next season but on loan. That was pretty clear after we appointed a loans manager and brought Jedi back to act as a liaison officer with the kids. It would be good if they can make some cameos in the meantime but the fact that they're training with the first team will set great examples for their peers and younger age groups.

Would Jacob Ramsey's development if instead of making the odd appearance for us this season, he had gone out on loan where he could have been a first team regular? Covid will no doubt have been a factor this year as kids have largely stayed local when they have gone out on loan but hopefully things can be a bit  more normal next season.

Offline Rotterdam

• GM : 06.03.2025
« Reply #627 on: April 29, 2021, 08:58:00 PM »
I’M told the semi will potentially be at VP on Tuesday 11th or Wednesday 12th...I’ll keep my ears open.

That sounds right as the FA website says the semi-finals have to be played by the 15th and the final by May 29th. Given our QF was played a few days before the 2 on the other side of the draw that would make sense.
Talk is Monday 10th or Wednesday 12th due to first team game (a) v Palace on 11th.

Online Lsvilla

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #628 on: April 29, 2021, 09:01:21 PM »
I’M told the semi will potentially be at VP on Tuesday 11th or Wednesday 12th...I’ll keep my ears open.

That sounds right as the FA website says the semi-finals have to be played by the 15th and the final by May 29th. Given our QF was played a few days before the 2 on the other side of the draw that would make sense.
Talk is Monday 10th or Wednesday 12th due to first team game (a) v Palace on 11th.
Probably the wrong thread but will the Palace game stay on the Tuesday as the ManU game has now been switched to the Sunday ?

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #629 on: April 30, 2021, 01:50:41 PM »
The thing I love about Chukwuemeka is how purposefully he receives the ball. He's always already looking to what he wants to do before he's even controlled the thing. It's top-notch.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal