collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Wolves Post Match Thread.  (Read 19494 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Aston Villa v Wolves Post Match Thread.
« Reply #195 on: June 29, 2020, 01:22:25 PM »
Following promotion last summer Purslow said we were 12 months ahead on our plans for world domination. Watching yesterday’s abysmal second half it seems that in a few weeks, if relegated, we will be back in the Premiership by August 2021 at the earliest. World domination postponed yet again.

I think that's the issue. We'd have been better served by not quite going up last year and developing the squad in the Championship. We are indeed going to be setback by a longer period.

We'd have been better served by employing a better manager and a better director of football.  Sheffield United were in League 1 three years ago.  I don't accept for a single second that spending our money more intelligently and replacing Smith when it was clear this job is too much for him wouldn't have seen us higher in the table.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #196 on: June 29, 2020, 01:33:58 PM »
I disagree as I think we needed to go up purely from a financial point of view. We'd have lost Grealish, McGinn and not signed Mings for starters and more pertinently may not have been rescued by our new owners. Even if we go down we'll have had a year of PL money and two years of parachute payments plus better fees if we do sell players.

How does that work as they'd already bought us?

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #197 on: June 29, 2020, 02:19:08 PM »
Following promotion last summer Purslow said we were 12 months ahead on our plans for world domination. Watching yesterday’s abysmal second half it seems that in a few weeks, if relegated, we will be back in the Premiership by August 2021 at the earliest. World domination postponed yet again.

I think that's the issue. We'd have been better served by not quite going up last year and developing the squad in the Championship. We are indeed going to be setback by a longer period.

We'd have been better served by employing a better manager and a better director of football.  Sheffield United were in League 1 three years ago.  I don't accept for a single second that spending our money more intelligently and replacing Smith when it was clear this job is too much for him wouldn't have seen us higher in the table.

And they have had the benefit of a consistent squad and managerial team. They've grown together and got better together, as a unit. We've got a squad that was thrown together quickly with players unused to playing in this country/league; in my view any manager would have struggled with what Smith has had at his disposal. He's also lost players (some of the better/expensive ones) to injury too. The whole thing has been a nightmare.

Moyes and Pearson, two of the more experienced managers in this country have both failed to get much of a tune out of the squads they've inherited; why are you so convinced that anyone else would do better for us?

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #198 on: June 29, 2020, 02:32:29 PM »
I disagree as I think we needed to go up purely from a financial point of view. We'd have lost Grealish, McGinn and not signed Mings for starters and more pertinently may not have been rescued by our new owners. Even if we go down we'll have had a year of PL money and two years of parachute payments plus better fees if we do sell players.

How does that work as they'd already bought us?

Fair point, it was the summer before last. F*ck me the years are flying by! :( 

On the plus side we're a year closer to World domination.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #199 on: June 29, 2020, 02:41:05 PM »
This time next year Rodney.

Offline simon ward 50

« Reply #200 on: June 29, 2020, 02:41:14 PM »
I've said this all season but am convinced having watched the matches on TV the last two weeks. Instead of breaking the bank to buy mediocrity last summer we should have broken the bank to get Tammy! At least our attacks (when they happened) had some focus and knew where the penalty box was!

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #201 on: June 29, 2020, 02:44:35 PM »
Moyes and Pearson, two of the more experienced managers in this country have both failed to get much of a tune out of the squads they've inherited; why are you so convinced that anyone else would do better for us?

Moyes has been a busted flush for years, employing him was ridiculous.  As for Pearson, Watford were rock bottom on 8 points from 15 games when he took over.  They're now 16th with 28 points from 32 games.  For those first 15 games they took 0.53 points a game, Pearson has taken 1.17 points a game, which if replicated over a season, or indeed, the rest of this season, will probably see them stay up.

In the same time that Pearson has been manager, Villa under Smith have taken 12 points from 17 games, or 0.71 points per game. Form that will almost certainly see us relegated.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #202 on: June 29, 2020, 02:54:41 PM »
This time next year Rodney.

;D As long as you don't call me Dave.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #203 on: June 29, 2020, 03:47:53 PM »
We desperately needed to get out of the Championship, scares the hell out of me to think we could be back there next season, problem we had when we got promoted, lack of experience in our management, a manager who believed he could try something different and survive the Premiership, he simply didn't get any Premiership experience in, even a few players at the end of there career would have made huge difference, that's whats done us, even the likes of Liverpool have relied on players like Milner to hold the line when needed, no not Smith, not the way he wanted to play it. Crazy.   

Again, not sure it's fair to land the buck squarely at Smith's feet, I seem to remember Purslow discussing the club's policy of lowering the age of the squad.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #204 on: June 29, 2020, 04:02:02 PM »
I've said this all season but am convinced having watched the matches on TV the last two weeks. Instead of breaking the bank to buy mediocrity last summer we should have broken the bank to get Tammy! At least our attacks (when they happened) had some focus and knew where the penalty box was!

He wasn't for sale.

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #205 on: June 29, 2020, 04:02:24 PM »

Chelsea’s transfer ban meant that Tammy wasn’t for sale last year, for any price.

Had Chelsea been allowed to buy a new striker I genuinely think they’d have sold Tammy to us and we wouldn’t be in quite the mess we now are.

Online darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #206 on: June 29, 2020, 04:41:25 PM »
it's not looking good for us another defeat with Liverpool and Man Utd our next two games I don't know were our next point will come from.

Offline SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #207 on: June 29, 2020, 04:54:35 PM »
it's not looking good for us another defeat with Liverpool and Man Utd our next two games I don't know were our next point will come from.

The way things are going?

Probably at home to Charlton.

Offline David_Nab

• GM : 24.12.2015
« Reply #208 on: June 29, 2020, 05:00:01 PM »
We desperately needed to get out of the Championship, scares the hell out of me to think we could be back there next season, problem we had when we got promoted, lack of experience in our management, a manager who believed he could try something different and survive the Premiership, he simply didn't get any Premiership experience in, even a few players at the end of there career would have made huge difference, that's whats done us, even the likes of Liverpool have relied on players like Milner to hold the line when needed, no not Smith, not the way he wanted to play it. Crazy.   

Again, not sure it's fair to land the buck squarely at Smith's feet, I seem to remember Purslow discussing the club's policy of lowering the age of the squad.

The same with Suso as well , he is taking peltors for the purchasing but we don't know his remit. If Purslow has dictated players need to be of certain age and certain wage he can only find from that category.

What we do know 100% is Purslow was against loans and to me given how thin the squad was and the budget we had for 10 or so players we should of used the loan market in the Summer. We are compared to Fulham and whilst it's unfair to a degree ( they choose to build a whole new team and not use more of the team promoted , we simply had no team left ) we made same mistake of buying untested players. In Jan they brought in experienced  Ryan Babble in his 30's and he ended up being one of the better buys.

We played the long game and negated the short term and if we go down we will almost be starting again and I guarantee in championship we go back to having to loan players ( as we already had to this Jan) Purslow has alot to answer for

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #209 on: June 29, 2020, 05:53:04 PM »

The way things are going?

Probably at home to Charlton.

Ha! You're forgetting our first game of next season, Fleetwood away.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal