collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Flamingo Lane
[Today at 02:33:00 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 02:33:00 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dave P
[Today at 02:32:40 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by VILLA MOLE
[Today at 02:31:59 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 02:31:30 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 02:31:13 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Aldridge Villa
[Today at 02:31:09 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AlexAlexCropley
[Today at 02:30:48 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 8 Games rescue plan!  (Read 7493 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: 8 Games rescue plan!
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2020, 01:20:27 AM »
My worry isn’t whether this board would sack Dean, because I can’t see that they would. I’d be more worried that they’d consult heavily with the Spanish Richard Madeley to fill the gap and god only knows what he’d suggest.

Valencia sacked in October a manager who'd won them the copa del rey (beat Barcelona in the final) and qualified for the champions league so there's a manager out of work who he might've worked with in the past.

Much easier to attract those types as an upwardly mobile premier league club though.

Online ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2020, 06:48:16 AM »
what really pissed me of was when we did attack Chelsea they looked vulnerable at the back.
Do not see the sense in our biggest attacking weapon being played as an extra defender. Get Jack close to goal you numpty.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2020, 09:06:43 AM »
the rescue plan is easy - win. Sadly, that is not something we are capable of, and I don't think at his stage, yet another manager coming in would make any difference.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2020, 09:08:01 AM »
If Allardyce was brought in tomorrow, I don't think anyone - on here or elsewhere - would doubt our chances of survival. The fact that there isn't a collective howl for it to happen is indicative of how problematic an appointment that would be!

Agreed and I don't believe for a moment Smith will leave but I can imagine Big Sam would relish helping send West Ham down. Like Dyche and Wilder he's one of the old school "non-sexy" appointments but very effective. He'd keep us in the PL for a couple of seasons so we could establish a foundation before building on it.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2020, 09:12:31 AM »
he wouldn't in my humble opinion,  because this squad is (a) not good enough and (b) totally devoid of any belief. Smith won't go at all, I think, but even if he did, it wouldn't be until after Newcastle and I just can't see anything other than a defeat there so the task becomes harder still.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2020, 09:19:36 AM »
I believe if we tried to fat Sam shithouse or way to safety we'd do no better as defensively we are too weak and get overwhelmed. From individual errors to the midfield not working hard enough to provide cover. That's not denigrating fat Sam, he's good at what he does I just don't think he'd have the tools at his disposal here..

I think we are what we've known for 5 months. Fucked. The light at the end of the tunnel is we will be in a better position to bounce back next time. A more stable leadership, less negative influences in the squad and a more secure financial position.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2020, 09:23:10 AM »
I believe if we tried to fat Sam shithouse or way to safety we'd do no better as defensively we are too weak and get overwhelmed. From individual errors to the midfield not working hard enough to provide cover. That's not denigrating fat Sam, he's good at what he does I just don't think he'd have the tools at his disposal here..

I think we are what we've known for 5 months. Fucked. The light at the end of the tunnel is we will be in a better position to bounce back next time. A more stable leadership, less negative influences in the squad and a more secure financial position.

I agree, I think we're just too bad in every single department.  The only chance we'd have is for somebody to come in and get Jack and SJM firing again, but just can't see it happening.

What a monumental balls up this season has been. An average, uninspiring Championship manager trying to coach players mostly bought for him by somebody without a single clue about the standard of player required for the Premier League.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2020, 09:25:41 AM »

On a more realistic note if we and Bournemouth do go down would you go for Eddie Howe when his "stock" is low with an aim to a long-term rebuild?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 09:33:53 AM by Brazilian Villain »

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #38 on: June 22, 2020, 09:30:38 AM »
No. You get relegated, you're not good enough. One of many reasons we should never have hired McLeish.

Offline Risso

« Reply #39 on: June 22, 2020, 09:31:15 AM »

On a more realistic note if we and Bournemouth do go down would you go for Eddie Howe when his "stock" is low when an aim to a long-term rebuild?

Definitely.  I know he's struggling like us at the moment, but he's kept Bournemouth punching above their weight for years, and I've seen enough of them to know that he's a much better manager than Smith.

Offline AVH87

• GM : 13.02.2021
« Reply #40 on: June 22, 2020, 09:32:16 AM »
I don't want Allardyce, ta. I know beggars can't be choosers but I don't want a manager who thinks he's doing us a favour. Go down if we must, but if that means we get in somebody who is excited about making us a successful, dynamic and tactically relevant side, so be it.

I actually wanted Big Sam, but reading this the point about doing us a favour really rings true I think. Maybe we have to sit this one out, and get a more progressive candidate in the summer, regardless of division, plus someone who wants to play good football.

Offline AVH87

• GM : 13.02.2021
« Reply #41 on: June 22, 2020, 09:37:41 AM »

I agree, I think we're just too bad in every single department.  The only chance we'd have is for somebody to come in and get Jack and SJM firing again, but just can't see it happening.

What a monumental balls up this season has been. An average, uninspiring Championship manager trying to coach players mostly bought for him by somebody without a single clue about the standard of player required for the Premier League.

You have been keen for Smith to go at a few points this season, as have I, but if the squad is just not good enough, do you think it would have made enough difference?

Online RamboandBruno

« Reply #42 on: June 22, 2020, 09:42:43 AM »
Agreed, nothing else is working and I think Davis and Samatta could work well off each other with Jack behind them.  A classic 4-4-2. We must be braver for the Barcodes game. We wont though.

Nyland

Guilbert      Engels   Mings     Targett

Luiz/Nakamba

Hourihane/Luiz                     McGinn

Grealish

Davis   Samatta

AEG and Tez have had their go and consistently not performed. Luiz plays just not sure where, would prefer him further forward tbh.

Guilbert gives us pace which they do have out wide, other than that they are as pedestrian as we are.  This team gives us a better chance of getting a win imo.

Pretty much agree with this, El Ghazi proving not good enough and he’s still a lot better than Trez. Luiz is more mobile than Hourihane and virtually only one to come out the last two games with any credit. I’d push him further forward and bring nakamba in. Not sure Hause deserves to be dropped though.

Offline Risso

« Reply #43 on: June 22, 2020, 09:48:32 AM »
You have been keen for Smith to go at a few points this season, as have I, but if the squad is just not good enough, do you think it would have made enough difference?

I suppose it's impossible to say without knowing who'd have come in, but a better January in the transfer window would have helped, and an extra 3 or 4 points now and we'd be out of the bottom three at least.  I can't see that that would have been impossible given a bit of organisation and motivation, neither of which we get from Smith.

Offline mallo

• GM : 28.03.2021
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2020, 11:48:50 AM »
I think it's going to be a slice of luck and whoever doesn't stink out the next few games more - us, Wetspam or bournemouth. Bournemouth look like they won't score many and wetspam could implode. I think if we go into the last game needing a win to stay up I'll take that, such is my depression over this.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal