collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 03:07:56 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:00:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 02:58:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Monty
[Today at 02:54:11 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by LeeB
[Today at 02:51:15 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Astnor
[Today at 02:46:26 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 02:36:48 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Astnor
[Today at 02:28:48 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 864432 times)

Offline Big Ming

Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #7515 on: September 22, 2020, 12:28:45 PM »
Presume Sarr is alternative as the Rashica thing seems to have stalled?

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #7516 on: September 22, 2020, 12:32:58 PM »

Sky has gone badly awry with some of its football coverage in recent times. The transfer thing is trying to build on the whole deadline day bit, but fails so badly because there is just not enough to fill it.

Yep, the only decent coverage is Soccer Saturday with Stelling, the rest is basically a bloke in a suit or a woman in heels reading out Twitter feeds.

Offline Russ aka Big Nose

« Reply #7517 on: September 22, 2020, 12:47:27 PM »
Guilbert is an interesting one.

Like many fans, I like him. He demonstrably gives everything and whilst that is likely to be simply a reflection of his personality/demeaner compared to others, it wins him admirers. He can make poor decisions, though he has bags of potential.

However we need to squeeze every bit of value from the present squad to fund the upgrades we need to make progress.

Smith presumably sees Cash as his first choice RB and with Konsa as emergency cover we need only one of Guilbert or Elmo. Both were bought for very small fees, though Guilbert is certain to command a bigger fee if sold now (given his age and scope to improve).

So sentiment aside it probably makes sense and if it brings in between £6-12m then if that gets us a first choice upgrade elsewhere in the starting 11, then so be it. UTV

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #7518 on: September 22, 2020, 12:56:38 PM »
He's twice the player Targett is so whatever we paid for him times two.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #7519 on: September 22, 2020, 01:15:15 PM »
I love the way on the transfer centre how they have their mobile phones on the desk, as if they are waiting for an important message

They are probably looking at their Just Eat App

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #7520 on: September 22, 2020, 01:23:32 PM »
I think SoccerHQ hit the nail on the head on the previous page about Guilbert - he's a squad/fringe player now in Deano's eyes and one we could get some money for, so in that case I think he'll be sacrificed.  i think Cash looked good last night with Elmo as a reliable backup.  Much as I like Freddie I can understand the thinking.

I'd be worried if we were influenced by the relatively low sum of money we'd get for Guilbert.

One thing that i think has screwed us in recent years is the fact that even when the first XI is passable, their back up options have been dreadful.

As much as I like Elmo - and I do - he's also getting on a bit now.

AEM was fine in the run in and is one of the few experienced heads in squad so have no issue with him staying another 12 months.

Isn't there a young RB who's pretty highly rated, Kesler or something? Could perhaps see him get some minutes in last 10 games if we're comfortably mid table.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #7521 on: September 22, 2020, 01:26:03 PM »
Is Sarr any good? I only really watched Watford when they played us and they didn’t seem awash with 30m players

He was probably their best player against us in the 3-0, and scored their last goal.

He looked very good against Liverpool as well, which is probably a better barometer of ability in all fairness!

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #7522 on: September 22, 2020, 01:26:07 PM »
Is Sarr any good? I only really watched Watford when they played us and they didn’t seem awash with 30m players

Ridiculously quick and good at winning penalties. That said I think his final ball and cross isn't great, he didn't assist much for Watford last year so probably at similar level to Adama when he left us.

Still would be an upgrade on what we have currently on the flanks which was again evident last night.

Offline Russ aka Big Nose

« Reply #7523 on: September 22, 2020, 01:35:43 PM »
I think SoccerHQ hit the nail on the head on the previous page about Guilbert - he's a squad/fringe player now in Deano's eyes and one we could get some money for, so in that case I think he'll be sacrificed.  i think Cash looked good last night with Elmo as a reliable backup.  Much as I like Freddie I can understand the thinking.

I'd be worried if we were influenced by the relatively low sum of money we'd get for Guilbert.

One thing that i think has screwed us in recent years is the fact that even when the first XI is passable, their back up options have been dreadful.

AEM was fine in the run in and is one of the few experienced heads in squad so have no issue with him staying another 12 months.

Isn't there a young RB who's pretty highly rated, Kesler or something? Could perhaps see him get some minutes in last 10 games if we're comfortably mid table.
Elmo is a decent back-up option at RB plus the option of promoting a youngster for development and if selling Guilbert means we get a better upgrade on a starting 11 player, then we should do it. The same with Engels - another player I like.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #7524 on: September 22, 2020, 01:42:20 PM »
Getting rid of Guilbert seems daft to me. He's not going to command enough surely that selling him would make any difference to our plans, and Cash has played 1 game at this level.  What do we do if/when Cash has a prolonged loss of form or gets an injury?  Elmo is fine as an occasional fill in, but shouldn't be a regular at all these days.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #7525 on: September 22, 2020, 01:44:17 PM »
Getting rid of Guilbert seems daft to me. He's not going to command enough surely that selling him would make any difference to our plans..

I'm sure Aston Villa would give us £25m for him. Oh hang on..

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #7526 on: September 22, 2020, 01:45:46 PM »

I think that's another thing.  If we have 3 right backs (Cash, Elmo, Guilbert), that doesn't leave much space for players from the U23 to come through.  It also uses up a place in the 25 man squad, which realistically is 2 players for each position plus an extra keeper and a couple of utility players.  The squad's quite short on experienced heads, so Elmo would probably fit the bill better there too.

Lastly, FFP is still something we'll have to play lip service to.  If we're making a profit - even a small one - on our squad players, that's good news and means that we can look to keep spending the big bucks next summer and the summer after.  Being ruthless, COVID is going to destroy an awful lot of club's finances, here and abroad.  We're going to be in a position where we'll be one of the few clubs in Europe able to spend serious money ... we need to be in a position when, if we finish in a decent mid-table position this season, we can exploit it, and move ourselves up the food chain a bit faster.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #7527 on: September 22, 2020, 01:49:00 PM »
two multiplied by nothing is nothing :D

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #7528 on: September 22, 2020, 01:54:17 PM »
Getting rid of Guilbert seems daft to me. He's not going to command enough surely that selling him would make any difference to our plans, and Cash has played 1 game at this level.  What do we do if/when Cash has a prolonged loss of form or gets an injury?  Elmo is fine as an occasional fill in, but shouldn't be a regular at all these days.

Agree with that plus he seem's a good sort to have around the squad.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #7529 on: September 22, 2020, 01:55:22 PM »
two multiplied by nothing is nothing :D

Surely it's two?!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal