collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:30 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:30 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Drummond
[March 28, 2024, 11:39:23 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Monty
[March 28, 2024, 11:26:15 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Billy Walker
[March 28, 2024, 11:13:11 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 11:07:05 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 864684 times)

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #7455 on: September 21, 2020, 06:00:54 PM »
We need 3 more this window looking at that bench. Winger, Striker, Centre Mid ASAP. Bench is poor.
CB as well, given injury risks.
Winger-striker more likely rather than one of each.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #7456 on: September 21, 2020, 07:58:46 PM »
Central midfield is more of a priority.  I guarantee we'll all be saying it's not good enough very shortly.

Totally agree.

That didn't take long.  Hourihane and McGinn, not good enough. Both Championship level players.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #7457 on: September 21, 2020, 08:05:43 PM »
We are missing three decent players, that or a struggle season again.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #7458 on: September 21, 2020, 08:28:23 PM »
Get Traore in for Trezeguet.  We still need a couple of players. Centre forward and let Watkins go wider when we need him to, and a central midfielder because of the inconsistency of Hourihane and McGinn.

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #7459 on: September 21, 2020, 08:38:27 PM »
Central midfield is more of a priority.  I guarantee we'll all be saying it's not good enough very shortly.

Totally agree.

That didn't take long.  Hourihane and McGinn, not good enough. Both Championship level players.

We don’t tackle a lot 🤔

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #7460 on: September 21, 2020, 09:47:00 PM »

Totally agree.

We don’t tackle a lot 🤔

Hotlips gets pelters but McGinn ain’t much better.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #7461 on: September 21, 2020, 09:57:56 PM »
A CM, winger/striker and LB all still required. And if he doesn't trust Engels and Guilbert is off, I'd want an experienced centre back in too.

Duff off one of Ghazi/Trez, let Samatta leave (on loan I suspect), offer Lansbury a free transfer and try find buyers for Taylor, Nyland and Kalinic.

Offline Steve67

« Reply #7462 on: September 21, 2020, 10:00:27 PM »
Samatta and Freddy are on their bike.  Dean being coy about selection and doing well in training.  They are off to pastures new.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #7463 on: September 21, 2020, 10:01:57 PM »
Think it shows how much a mess we were in 12 months ago squad-wise, that despite the huge investment by the board, our bench still seemed very weak tonight. It really is going to be a case of hoping some players don't get crocked again this season.

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #7464 on: September 21, 2020, 10:08:53 PM »
Samatta and Freddy are on their bike.  Dean being coy about selection and doing well in training.  They are off to pastures new.

I really don't get the lack of faith in Guilbert, does anyone? Smith surely gave the Samatta signing the ok last January and has given up on him already. Seems a bit strange, dreadful though he was after lockdown. Might be a useful sub to bring on if chasing a goal.

Offline Steve67

« Reply #7465 on: September 21, 2020, 10:16:40 PM »

I really don't get the lack of faith in Guilbert, does anyone? Smith surely gave the Samatta signing the ok last January and has given up on him already. Seems a bit strange, dreadful though he was after lockdown. Might be a useful sub to bring on if chasing a goal.

I agree about Freddy. I think he's a decent defender.  Samatta, not so much.  Poor player at the level imo and I hope we might be looking at a swap deal of some sort.

Offline Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #7466 on: September 21, 2020, 10:46:55 PM »

I agree about Freddy. I think he's a decent defender.  Samatta, not so much.  Poor player at the level imo and I hope we might be looking at a swap deal of some sort.

The 'Baros for Carew' sort, hopefully!

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #7467 on: September 21, 2020, 10:52:52 PM »

I'd give Freddy another go but think the issue here is he's a squad player we can actually get some money back for. Wasn't there talk last week of Nantes bidding 5m? We wouldn't get 5m for Taylor, Lansbury and Jota combined.

If we're spending another 40m this summer we need to balance the books a little bit. Spending 100m every summer and hardly selling any squad player on inflated wages was unsustainable in the Lerner era and will be case here aswell.

We have Cash, AEM and in emergency Konsa could shift over there if we get in another CB so it's a well stocked position now.

Offline Nii Lamptey

« Reply #7468 on: September 21, 2020, 11:15:59 PM »

I'd give Freddy another go but think the issue here is he's a squad player we can actually get some money back for. Wasn't there talk last week of Nantes bidding 5m? We wouldn't get 5m for Taylor, Lansbury and Jota combined.

If we're spending another 40m this summer we need to balance the books a little bit. Spending 100m every summer and hardly selling any squad player on inflated wages was unsustainable in the Lerner era and will be case here aswell.

We have Cash, AEM and in emergency Konsa could shift over there if we get in another CB so it's a well stocked position now.
Not sure what he's done wrong, as he has quite the fan base amongst Villa fans.... For the sake of 5 million, I'd keep Freddie and play him as our first choice LB. Head and shoulders above the two players we have jostling for that position.

Offline FatSam

« Reply #7469 on: September 21, 2020, 11:16:45 PM »
I was just thinking about this, and the last couple of transfer windows, in the context of the work that the new regime has had to do to get the playing squad into shape. My understanding is that the players on the books when they took over in summer 2018 were:

Goalkeepers: Steer, Bunn, Sarkic
Defenders: Chester, Elphick, Revan, Taylor, Elmohamady, De Laet, Bree, Hutton, Richards
Midfielders: Jedinak, Whelan, Hourihane, Gardner, Tshibola, Lansbury, Bjarnason, Doyle-Hayes, O’Hare, Ramsey, Grealish, Green, Adomah
Forwards: McCormack, Kodjia, Hogan, Davis, Hepburn-Murphy, McKirdy

I’ve struck through the players whose contracts were due to expire at the end of that season (summer 2019), which really exposes the paucity of assets at the football club. Other than a few exceptions, it is a very poor group, with several players offering pretty much nothing (Richards, Gardner, Tshibola, McCormack, Hogan). It’s no surprise that we didn’t at any point tear up the division, and only made it up by the skin of our teeth.

The work since then hasn’t been perfect, but has been ambitious and has ultimately got the job done. The loan signings that were brought in initially (Abraham, El Ghazi, Mings, Hause) were really important, and didn’t commit us to contracts that we might not have been able to afford long term. The sheer number of signings that were required following promotion last summer just to fill-out the squad was a feat in itself.

Mistakes have been made, and we’ve had some bad luck with injuries that has forced us into the market in less than ideal circumstances.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 11:21:08 PM by FatSam »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal