collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 08:30:28 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 08:30:08 PM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by Demitri_C
[Today at 08:29:36 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Pete3206
[Today at 08:29:33 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 08:29:08 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[Today at 08:28:53 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Forge10
[Today at 08:28:52 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 08:28:43 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 874495 times)

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #5955 on: September 09, 2020, 01:36:02 PM »
I already predicted Guilbert will go I see Wesley going if we sign another striker or wing forward.
Wesley maybe though will go in winter window.

My humble hunch being these were signings under the old regime with suso being the protagonist. Cash and Watkins are the more Dean Smith type players he wants and has now bought!
I think because the new signings will be better suited and perform better than Guilbert and Wesley .

Good luck to both but they aren't needed in the big scheme of things only cup and squad players if hanging around.

I also move on Jota say we get Cantwell or
Buendia.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #5956 on: September 09, 2020, 01:38:58 PM »
I think Smith likes Wesley actually, and signing Watkins and another striker doesn't necessarily mean he goes, it just means we have options up top for once. Hopefully ones that actually know the aim of the game is to hit the ball over the line between the goal posts.

I can see Samatta going though, bought relatively cheaply and would probably not make a huge loss to France or even back to Belgium.

Offline Holy Trinity

« Reply #5957 on: September 09, 2020, 01:40:54 PM »
We can forget about cantwell from what I've heard.

We enquired and he was very rude and dismissive of us and Dean and it never got past the tentative enquiry stage. He thinks Man u or Chelsea are just waiting to snatch him from the championship and only wants to play for one of the really big boys.

Buendia would be my top priority! Benrahma would be far to expensive and I'm not a big fan of having my pants pulled down by the same club twice. We have money but we need to spend it wisely

Gk a certainty
CB has been on the cards for ages with one falling through when we binned off suso
A CM is wanted but won't break the bank
A winger will happen and is now the absolute top priority
King we are supposedly on the verge but this will see either samatta or Davies leave maybe both

Samatta is wanted by a couple of champions league teams and may end up out on loan with one of them. Davis won't be sold under any circumstances as smith really rates him in a heskey roll, I expect him to end up at Swansea.

Sprinkling of itk and stuff ive assumed after speaking to my friend this morning.
Disclaimer he knew nothing about watkins or Wilson but did tell me about Martinez so he does drop the odd pearl now and again even if it ends up not happening.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #5958 on: September 09, 2020, 01:48:43 PM »

We enquired and he was very rude and dismissive of us and Dean and it never got past the tentative enquiry stage. He thinks Man u or Chelsea are just waiting to snatch him from the championship and only wants to play for one of the really big boys.

Thinks a lot of himself then. Hope he enjoys his time at Norwich and in the Championship.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #5959 on: September 09, 2020, 01:49:34 PM »
Watkins done. Who's next?

Looks like we're signing the best players of their position in the championship so Jon Swift or Todd Cantwell next !
I wouldn't mind Cantwell actually.  He's been decent whenever I've seen him, bit of flair and has a bit of mongrel in him too.

I think Cantwell is going to be a very good player indeed.
Me too, he's an excellent prospect, but not really a priority position assuming we keep Jack.

That's a point I was going to make. Where would he play?

Cantwell would be in the midfield instead of Hourihane .
He would complete Dean and mines ideal midfield

So he would play left midfield but also swap with Jack Grealish when Jack drops back to pick up the ball and Cantwell makes runs forward. Has the energy.  Similar with McGinn he can also play attacking right mid

Perfect for our 3 in midfield.
Cantwell  Doug McGinn.

Him or Jon Swift.
Then Hourihane as back up and selected games.

Having Cantwell as energy in midfield I think far more suited than Hourihane.  CH can come on and play deep with Dougie Luiz as a double pivot.  But a cantwell type in midfield allows flexibility and more attacking play

Similar Swift would offer generous box to box energy and creativity.
Both Cantwell and Swift move off the ball which would put them straight into the current Villa midfield.

So thats where Todd Cantwell most likely play left or right midfield.

So be Douglas , McGinn Cantwell/Swift.

Players today in midfield can play a variety of roles but actually Cantwell and Grealish can most suitability be incorporated as Grealish will be higher up the pitch/ roaming and dovetailing. 

Release Greakish from defence responsibilities.

Leave it to  Swift/Cantwell, McGinn And Doug.

All have the flexibility to play attacking but can do box to box cover and play all across midfield positions.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 01:55:31 PM by Vill I An »

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #5960 on: September 09, 2020, 01:50:15 PM »

Buendia would be my top priority! Benrahma would be far to expensive and I'm not a big fan of having my pants pulled down by the same club twice. We have money but we need to spend it wisely

Gk a certainty
CB has been on the cards for ages with one falling through when we binned off suso
King we are supposedly on the verge but this will see either samatta or Davies leave maybe both

Samatta is wanted by a couple of champions league teams and may end up out on loan with one of them. Davis won't be sold under any circumstances as smith really rates him in a heskey roll, I expect him to end up at Swansea.

Sprinkling of itk and stuff ive assumed after speaking to my friend this morning.
Disclaimer he knew nothing about watkins or Wilson but did tell me about Martinez so he does drop the odd pearl now and again even if it ends up not happening.

Good stuff that is, especially about Cantwell as I can now indulge the primal urge I have to dislike him for being a poncey little twat.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #5961 on: September 09, 2020, 01:51:15 PM »
And being called "Todd".

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #5962 on: September 09, 2020, 01:52:50 PM »

Gk a certainty

Good stuff that is, especially about Cantwell as I can now indulge the primal urge I have to dislike him for being a poncey little twat.

Todd.

Apols. Mr Ealing got there first.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #5963 on: September 09, 2020, 01:54:26 PM »
And being called "Todd".

Yes, that too. He may not have been responsible for it but that's why we have middle names, and any person with an ounce of self respect would adjust accordingly.

Offline edgysatsuma89

« Reply #5964 on: September 09, 2020, 01:56:22 PM »
And being called "Todd".

One of the shittest names around along with Guy.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #5965 on: September 09, 2020, 01:57:00 PM »
So Maritinez, Swift, King, Benrahma/Buendia and a CB. I’d be happy with that!

Offline ozzjim

« Reply #5966 on: September 09, 2020, 01:57:12 PM »
With you all the way. The long hair, the name Todd, and even speculated arrogance of dismissing us out of hand, I hope he ends up getting splinters on the Norwich bench and his career goes the way of Berahino.

Offline frank black

« Reply #5967 on: September 09, 2020, 01:59:09 PM »
Isn’t the Martinez thing just some agent generated pressure on Arsenal to give him a bumper new contract? I suspect this, good signing if it happens

Offline ozzjim

« Reply #5968 on: September 09, 2020, 02:02:16 PM »
Tim Vickery who is usually pretty good on this stuff said we are definitely interested, and he is desperate to go and be a number 1 as he thinks he can be the Argentina first choice if he is playing, but Villa were a bit spooked by the Arsenal fee at first.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #5969 on: September 09, 2020, 02:03:08 PM »
Good post Soccer HQ regarding experience, we were crying out for some sensible heads last season.

Most of our team have at least 1 years worth of Premiership experience now, not sure its an issue to be honest.

Time will tell. Could make the same argument after 12/13 but likes of Bennett, Baker, Clark all just became alright championship players. Weimann was excellent in that season and that was the best it got for him.

I'd be amazed if any of Trez, Hause, Nakamba or Wesley ever were regulars for us when hopefully we're back to being a top half team again in near future. They all however played parts in us staying up and we should be thankful for that.

When I mean experience I mean players with the confidence and ability to tell others around them when to push up or sit back during a game, 1 nil up v Chelsea and us frightened to death of even going over the halfway line to try to score another goal. That was a major reason why we threw away so many leads against top half teams, lack of experience and belief at key moments.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal