collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 864650 times)

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #1710 on: August 06, 2020, 11:06:16 PM »
We’re appointing Rob MacKenzie, formerly of Leicester and Spurs to our Scouting group. He will be head of recruitment apparently

https://www.expressandstar.com/sport/football/aston-villa/2020/08/06/aston-villa-swoop-for-former-leicester-and-tottenham-talent-spotter/

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #1711 on: August 06, 2020, 11:21:46 PM »
Hause is a reasonable squad filler who can play two positions.

Badly.

He's looked OK since the lockdown - as did most of our defence save the Yanited game.

Wouldn't like the idea of him being in for an extended period but as third or fourth choice to come in for injuries and suspensions he's absolutely fine.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1712 on: August 06, 2020, 11:23:28 PM »
4th or 5th choice for me. He’s really poor on the ball, which creates trouble.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1713 on: August 06, 2020, 11:26:20 PM »
Decent in the air though.

Offline Mellin

« Reply #1714 on: August 06, 2020, 11:27:58 PM »
Controversial opinion - I don't think we need to waste any money at left back. Targett's a good player who's improving and Taylor as a back up is fine.

In order of priority:

Pace out wide is the obvious one and number one priority
Striker, probably with pace also. Wesley is fine as the big man
Centre mid
Centre half

Could always buy two wingers (and no centre mid) and play Grealish in the middle instead of out wide. Not sure where I prefer him tbh, which says a lot for his quality.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1715 on: August 06, 2020, 11:45:55 PM »
Controversial opinion - I don't think we need to waste any money at left back. Targett's a good player who's improving and Taylor as a back up is fine.

In order of priority:

Pace out wide is the obvious one and number one priority
Striker, probably with pace also. Wesley is fine as the big man
Centre mid
Centre half

Could always buy two wingers (and no centre mid) and play Grealish in the middle instead of out wide. Not sure where I prefer him tbh, which says a lot for his quality.

I agree with your controversial opinion. Full backs are nearly always made scapegoats. People expect them to be Baresi in defence and Cristiano Ronaldo going forward and, with the exception of all but a handful of clubs, you can't attract players that are amazing at both.

Being very good at one discipline and satisfactory at the other is perfectly acceptable for a club with ambitions for midtable. I feel Targett is excellent going forward, he links up well with Grealish and has even chipped in with a couple of goals. While hardly the new Mcgraw, he's not had at defensively, either.

I also reckon Taylor is a reasonable backup. And you won't get many clubs outside the elite who have three left backs happy to compete for places. Hause, offering, as he does, cover at centre half, too, is better than most clubs will have as third option.

Money spent at left back could be better spent elsewhere.

Now go get some exciting attackers.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1716 on: August 06, 2020, 11:51:57 PM »

You're right, that's most certainly controversial. Neither Taylor or Targett are good enough for where we want to be next season. I imagine, having paid through the arse for Targett, we're stuck with him. Taylor is a more than decent defender that can do a job with either West Brom or any Championship team looking to get promoted.

We probably will brush it under the carpet until we finally sign a decent left back and then we'll all question why did it take so long to replace them with a bit of quality. Defensively, it's where our focus should be this window.

Offline WilliamStanding

« Reply #1717 on: August 06, 2020, 11:52:30 PM »
💯 agree with CDB......we need fire Power, ammunition the whole lot - we survived, were very lucky but need to be on the offensive this season.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1718 on: August 06, 2020, 11:56:41 PM »

Raise your hand if your team had the second worst defence last season?

Now raise your hand if you think by not changing your defence from last season you expect them to suddenly improve?

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #1719 on: August 06, 2020, 11:57:29 PM »
I'm with you in the main, but I'd go as far as saving on the centre half too unless one leaves. 2 strikers, 2 wingers and a centre mid would do me fine this window.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #1720 on: August 06, 2020, 11:59:34 PM »

Now raise your hand if you think by not changing your defence from last season you expect them to suddenly improve?

Also raise your hand if by Smith coaching them and not whatever went before resulted in a completely different unit that will have improved with a season in the prem, and better forward options would result in being better on the ball and this concede less chances?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1721 on: August 07, 2020, 12:04:51 AM »

They have already "suddenly" improved. That's why we don't need to strengthen there. Only seven clubs conceded fewer goals than us since lockdown, despite us playing more games than 4/5 of the league.

Plus, get players that scare the opposition and they won't be able to camp in our half like, for instance, Chelsea and Man City did at Villa Park.

Get some forwards who fucking terrify the opposition and you'll be amazed at how much better our defence gets.

In any case, with one or two exceptions, they've already proven to be pretty good since lockdown. They are, mostly, young and will continue to improve.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 12:10:51 AM by cdbullyweefan »

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #1722 on: August 07, 2020, 12:09:57 AM »

Also raise your hand if by Smith coaching them and not whatever went before resulted in a completely different unit that will have improved with a season in the prem, and better forward options would result in being better on the ball and this concede less chances?

It is not just about buying more defenders though is it?  We don't hold the ball up well enough up front, we have a lack of physical presence in midfield, therefore a real lack of protection for the defence.  These issues are major contributors to the amount of goals we have conceded and also needs to be addressed, just as urgently as bringing in another left back.  The central midfield role has not been addressed at any point since Dean got there, although trying to buy Leroy Fer, Calvin Phillips and Steven Nzonzi had been tried, we really need to get this right this summer.

Offline WilliamStanding

« Reply #1723 on: August 07, 2020, 12:10:57 AM »

Maintain number one goalkeeper and
Defensive unit post lockdown and you have a different scenario- that said I still want an upgrade on Targett ...

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #1724 on: August 07, 2020, 12:17:48 AM »
If you don't have pace -as Targett clearly doesn't - your quality on the ball and reading of the game needs to be sufficiently good enough to ensure you don't become a weak link.

Modern full-backs need pace and we could acquire an established played for that role who won't break the bank.  Danny Rose as one obvious example.

Targett has quality, but I'd be more comfortable with him as a squad player - perhaps to come in if the opposition don't have a particularly quick wide player or play defensively at VP.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal