collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 07:02:54 PM]

Re: FFP by LeeB
[Today at 06:59:38 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Toronto Villa
[Today at 06:56:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:51:04 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:50:22 PM]

Re: FFP by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 06:48:48 PM]

Re: FFP by Somniloquism
[Today at 06:44:10 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Exeter 77
[Today at 06:32:41 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 864525 times)

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #1575 on: August 06, 2020, 11:31:00 AM »
it's generally accepted that we have a long standing interest in Benrahma and to an extent Watkins so why delay? We know what Brentford want and i'm sure we know what they will accept. If dean's as keen as people say get on with it. if we rate them that highly i'd hate to miss out to Leeds Palace or Sheffield United.
Brentford wanted much more for Maupay from us than for what they eventually sold him for.  They can afford to play the waiting game and will squeeze every penny they can.  Rightly so, I'd expect us to do the same if we were in their position.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1576 on: August 06, 2020, 11:32:42 AM »
As other people are doing wishlists:

wide player with pace
box-to-box midfielder
utility forward who covers all across the front 3
striker
left back

In that order.

I understand why people are prioritising forwards but for me it's more important to upgrade on Trez and Hourihane first and then my next signing would be someone who can fit into our team alongside Wesley (when he's fit) rather than replace him.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #1577 on: August 06, 2020, 11:34:30 AM »
Looking back over the past few pages, perhaps someone could tell me when, exactly, we became so good that signing Tammy Abraham would even be an argument?

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1578 on: August 06, 2020, 11:37:16 AM »
Looking back over the past few pages, perhaps someone could tell me when, exactly, we became so good that signing Tammy Abraham would even be an argument?

Probably at the same time that Tammy turned into the second coming of Darren Bent.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #1579 on: August 06, 2020, 11:37:25 AM »

It's going to be an argument every window until we either sign him or he retires, regardless of whether he's the right player in that window. Just like re-signing Milner and Barry was for years.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1580 on: August 06, 2020, 11:45:32 AM »
I can see why it's been brought up. We've just stayed up and we have pretty rich owners. I think it's also because Chelsea are said to be signing two forwards. Besides, a lot of people did speculate that they might have sold him had it not been for Chelsea's transfer ban.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #1581 on: August 06, 2020, 11:49:24 AM »

Honestly, we just finished 17th...I cannot understand it. Some would turn their noses up at Messi.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1582 on: August 06, 2020, 11:50:12 AM »

Quite.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #1583 on: August 06, 2020, 11:52:01 AM »
I've never really bought the 'yes he scores but that's all he does' argument, about anyone.  When you look at our current 'strike force' we're certainly not in a position to turn our noses up at anyone with a strike rate similar to Tammy's.  So I'd be happy to see him here but I kind of take paul's point: just because he's played for us before doesn't mean Tammy is necessarily the very best option.  That should be a minor factor; I've never understood what 'he gets the club' means.

Offline WilliamStanding

« Reply #1584 on: August 06, 2020, 11:53:40 AM »

This 100% - and apparently Davis is good enough to warrant a squad place because he can hold a ball up when he’s 16 stone of muscle.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1585 on: August 06, 2020, 11:53:40 AM »
The Benrahma thing, are we the only interested party? Is it a real thing, or something that only exists in our H&V collective consciousness?

Offline edgysatsuma89

« Reply #1586 on: August 06, 2020, 11:57:03 AM »
I can completely see what paul means. That doesn't mean I think we're bigger than Tammy, I just don't rate him as highly to spend the sort of money we would need to spend to get him. I think people are too confident about him guaranteeing goals. Guaranteeing us goals in the championship and for a prem team like Chelsea is different to a struggling prem team. I do see him as a tap in merchant and it's easier to create multiple tap in chances in the big teams. The type of player like Sterling wouldn't score many if he dropped to us. Maybe we'll buy players on top of that where we'll create those sort of chances regularly, who knows? But at this moment I can see what Paul means.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1587 on: August 06, 2020, 11:57:13 AM »
Chelsea were being linked with him a while ago.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1588 on: August 06, 2020, 12:00:13 PM »
I've never really bought the 'yes he scores but that's all he does' argument, about anyone.  When you look at our current 'strike force' we're certainly not in a position to turn our noses up at anyone with a strike rate similar to Tammy's.  So I'd be happy to see him here but I kind of take paul's point: just because he's played for us before doesn't mean Tammy is necessarily the very best option.  That should be a minor factor; I've never understood what 'he gets the club' means.
Well the key thing is it's not a gamble as we'd know what we're getting and know he would settle in.  You can't guarantee that with any player from outside the PL and even other PL players may not settle in the area, squad etc.  He's as close to a sure thing as you can get.  Whether that is worth paying a £10-20m premium for is the big question (assuming Chelsea would sell him etc etc).  For me, signing a 22 year old player who would hopefully all but guarantee surviving another year would be worth going the extra mile for.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #1589 on: August 06, 2020, 12:13:35 PM »

It's more best use of the money we have than individually the best option. Signing Tammy for ~£50m means the same left for all the other signings we need and I don't think he'd have enough of an impact on us to be worth lowering the bar elsewhere. I'd be looking at £60-70m of the money we have on a wide player and a midfielder and then see what we can do with rest once they're sorted.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal