collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Nev
[Today at 11:12:18 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 10:49:10 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:46:00 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 10:36:15 AM]

Re: Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[Today at 10:29:02 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 864325 times)

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #1560 on: August 06, 2020, 10:56:31 AM »
In

Benrahma - £25m
Watkins - £20m
Eduard or Tammy - £40m
Aarons - £20m
Reina - Free

Out

Samatta - £8m
Engles - £8m
Elmo - £1m and lot of gratitude
Davis - Loan
Jota, Lansbury, Hogan - £6m the lot or offer to Brentford
Kalinic - £2m
Steer or Nyland - £2m

£82m net spend. Job done. Mid table.

GK - Heaton, Reina

RB - Guilbert, Aarons
CB - Mings, Konsa, Hause
LB - Targett, Taylor

DM - Luiz, Nakamba
CM - Hourihane, McGinn

AM - Grealish, Benrahma, Trez, El Ghazi

ST - Wesley, Watkins, Eduard/Tammy
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 11:02:30 AM by Dave P »

Offline dicedlam

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #1561 on: August 06, 2020, 10:56:45 AM »
They're both left-sided centre-halves, of which there aren't many in the PL, and that appears to be what Yanited are in the market for

Maguire plays on the left of defence for Man Utd the same as where he played for Leicester. He also plays on the left for England so I don't think Mings would be a priority for them.

And he's been highly unconvincing there, which is why Yanited are dipping back in the market again.

It's been well documented that they're looking for a left-footed centre-half.

Not least because of this video, which appears to show Ole telling Nathan Ake "We need a left-footed centre-back so just keep going."

Edit: Forgot the link! https://twitter.com/Sam_Tyler16/status/1279908076620038144/video/1

I just don't see them forking out another 40/50 million on what it would take to get Mings, giving a total of 120/130 million on left-sided defenders. And I certainly don't see anybody coming in for Maguire and paying a good chunk for what Yanited paid for him?

Let's see...

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #1562 on: August 06, 2020, 11:04:20 AM »
They're both left-sided centre-halves, of which there aren't many in the PL, and that appears to be what Yanited are in the market for

Maguire plays on the left of defence for Man Utd the same as where he played for Leicester. He also plays on the left for England so I don't think Mings would be a priority for them.

And he's been highly unconvincing there, which is why Yanited are dipping back in the market again.

It's been well documented that they're looking for a left-footed centre-half.

Not least because of this video, which appears to show Ole telling Nathan Ake "We need a left-footed centre-back so just keep going."

Edit: Forgot the link! https://twitter.com/Sam_Tyler16/status/1279908076620038144/video/1

I just don't see them forking out another 40/50 million on what it would take to get Mings, giving a total of 120/130 million on left-sided defenders. And I certainly don't see anybody coming in for Maguire and paying a good chunk for what Yanited paid for him?

Let's see...

In a scenario where they buy Mings or another left-footed centre-half, they'd move Maguire to the right, since he's right-footed.

And I don't particularly want it to happen, but I could definitely see it.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1563 on: August 06, 2020, 11:07:46 AM »
In

Benrahma - £25m
Watkins - £20m
Eduard or Tammy - £40m
Aarons - £20m
Reina - Free

Out

Samatta - £8m
Engles - £8m
Davis - Loan
Kalinic - £2m
Steer or Nyland - £2m

GK - Heaton, Reina

RB - Guilbert, Aarons
CB - Mings, Konsa, Hause
LB - Targett, Taylor

DM - Luiz, Nakamba
CM - Hourihane, McGinn

I like Aarons but I think we're more in need of a left back than right.

Offline malckennedy

« Reply #1564 on: August 06, 2020, 11:08:02 AM »
In

Benrahma - £25m
Watkins - £20m
Eduard or Tammy - £40m
Aarons - £20m
Reina - Free

Out

Samatta - £8m
Engles - £8m
Davis - Loan
Kalinic - £2m
Steer or Nyland - £2m

GK - Heaton, Reina

RB - Guilbert, Aarons
CB - Mings, Konsa, Hause
LB - Targett, Taylor

DM - Luiz, Nakamba
CM - Hourihane, McGinn

I hope we don’t start another season with Taylor in the squad!

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #1565 on: August 06, 2020, 11:09:30 AM »
In
Benrahma - £25m
Watkins - £20m
Eduard or Tammy - £40m
Aarons - £20m
Reina - Free

Out
Samatta - £8m
Engles - £8m
Davis - Loan
Kalinic - £2m
Steer or Nyland - £2m

GK - Heaton, Reina
RB - Guilbert, Aarons
CB - Mings, Konsa, Hause
LB - Targett, Taylor
DM - Luiz, Nakamba
CM - Hourihane, McGinn
I don't think we'll be bringing  in Benrhama for £25m - I'd bring in Watkins as a winger / CF and look at Buendia and / or Eze for an alternative wide option (both can also cover the #10 role)
If Elmo goes, we'll be short at RB (Aarons is likely to be going to Liverpool).
You have no MF coming in?!?
I'd prefer to keep Steer and offload Reina
Selling Engels leaves us vulnerable at cover for CB and reduces the option to go 3 at the back; we'd need another CB if we offload him (unless Bridge or Revan can credibly make the transition to the first-team squad)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 11:11:45 AM by Mister E »

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1566 on: August 06, 2020, 11:10:03 AM »
I don't think Mings' stock will have risen sufficiently this season for him to bag a move to one of the top 6.

Online Duncan Shaw

« Reply #1567 on: August 06, 2020, 11:11:30 AM »
The thing you get with Tammy is certainty.  Certainty he'd settle in and certainty that he would get you a decent amount of goals.  Signing him (alongside keeping Jack and a couple of extras) would all but guarantee us staying up next season.

I also don't think his all round game is anywhere near as limited as suggested and nothing like Bent.

But I don't think Chelsea will sell him and if they do I don't think we will spend that sort of money on one player and if we do I don't think he would pick us above other options likely to be available to him.  But other than that he's pretty nailed on. 
I agree with most of what you say other than the he wouldn't pick us bit.  I reckon if the rest of it fell in to place and we showed we were willing to spend big on him he would.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #1568 on: August 06, 2020, 11:13:13 AM »
I'd take Tammy and Watkins. I don't think anybody can look at Wesley, Samatta and Davis, the 6 goals they contributed in the league and not see that there needs to be drastic improvement.

Tammy is ideal for all the reasons Chris said. He knows the place, gets it and has a huge amount of credit in the bank. Somebody like Watkins, that has pace and can play right across the line, would be ideal too. He can fill in centrally or out wide. I'd then like an out and out wide player for the other position in the front 3.

We lack pace. Beyond Wesley's goal at home to Everton  I cannot think of too many runs off the shoulder and in behind that lead to goals.

I feel we really failed to penetrate the spaces beyond the opposition and couldn't counter as effectively as we'd like.

2 strikers, one being a Watkins type with pace and who can adapt, a winger and a central midfielder to upgrade on Hourihane.

If there's money left over, a right footed centre half.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1569 on: August 06, 2020, 11:18:52 AM »
Whether or not you'd take him at the fee being discussed is one thing, comparing him to Darren Bent is a nonsense though. Tammy worked his nuts off for us, and I imagine does the same for Chelsea.  In far fewer minutes played, he had 3 assists this season, which is more than Ings, Sterling and Kane and is the same number as Aubameyang.

No it really isn't, to get the best out of Bent you had to build your attack around getting the ball to him in the penalty area without expecting much involvement from him in the build up. To get the best out of Tammy you need to do the same, he is a better player than Bent but the impact on how you setup the team is the same, which is why it's a perfectly reasonable comparison.

3 assists -
1 is a counter-attack where he plays a 10 yard pass to asn unmarked Willian who beats a defender and curls into the bottom corner. I'd expect any professional footballer to be able to see and play that pass.
2 is a shot that is going slightly wide and gets tapped in from less than a yard out.
3 was a chest down (against us) that may or may not have been intended as a pass.

You can find videos showing all of this and you'll also notice that all but 1-2 of his goals are 1-2 touch finishes from around the 6 yard box.

This isn't me questioning his work rate or value to a team, it's me pointing out that almost everything good about his game happens in the opposition penalty area, that's not a bad thing but when you'd be spending half of your summer budget on him it needs to be sure that he's the right fit and, given how we've played in the last year, I'm not sure he is and importantly signing him wouldn't change our ability to play higher up the pitch which we'd need to do to create the chances he needs.

Offline WilliamStanding

« Reply #1570 on: August 06, 2020, 11:20:55 AM »
The following I don’t want anywhere near our squad stinking the place out

Davis
Taylor
Jota
Landsbury

The rest of the squad I’m kind of ambivalent about just lose the above and any additions will improve us.

Online Clampy

« Reply #1571 on: August 06, 2020, 11:22:15 AM »
I respectfully disagree with all that Paul. I think he'd be a very good fit for us, mainly for the reasons Ads has mentioned.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #1572 on: August 06, 2020, 11:22:43 AM »
it's generally accepted that we have a long standing interest in Benrahma and to an extent Watkins so why delay? We know what Brentford want and i'm sure we know what they will accept. If dean's as keen as people say get on with it. if we rate them that highly i'd hate to miss out to Leeds Palace or Sheffield United.

Offline fbriai

• GM : 31.01.2022
« Reply #1573 on: August 06, 2020, 11:24:45 AM »
I'd take Tammy and Watkins. I don't think anybody can look at Wesley, Samatta and Davis, the 6 goals they contributed in the league and not see that there needs to be drastic improvement.

Tammy is ideal for all the reasons Chris said. He knows the place, gets it and has a huge amount of credit in the bank. Somebody like Watkins, that has pace and can play right across the line, would be ideal too. He can fill in centrally or out wide. I'd then like an out and out wide player for the other position in the front 3.

We lack pace. Beyond Wesley's goal at home to Everton  I cannot think of too many runs off the shoulder and in behind that lead to goals.

I feel we really failed to penetrate the spaces beyond the opposition and couldn't counter as effectively as we'd like.

2 strikers, one being a Watkins type with pace and who can adapt, a winger and a central midfielder to upgrade on Hourihane.

If there's money left over, a right footed centre half.

I agree with all of that, Ads.

Online Clampy

« Reply #1574 on: August 06, 2020, 11:25:27 AM »
it's generally accepted that we have a long standing interest in Benrahma and to an extent Watkins so why delay? We know what Brentford want and i'm sure we know what they will accept. If dean's as keen as people say get on with it. if we rate them that highly i'd hate to miss out to Leeds Palace or Sheffield United.

Brentford only finished their season two days ago. It's not exactly a delay.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal