collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

Re: FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 11:20:10 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 11:13:40 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Nev
[Today at 11:12:18 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 864338 times)

Offline AsTallAsLions

Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #1380 on: August 04, 2020, 01:50:34 PM »
Is the 5 sub rule permanent or just for next season due to the peculiarities of the C-19 situation?

They're positioning it as an 'extension' of the special measure for Covid-19, but I think we all know where this one is going unless the 20 PL clubs band together to oppose it; and the 'bigger' clubs won't.

Offline AsTallAsLions

« Reply #1381 on: August 04, 2020, 01:55:23 PM »
but we also need to think about the quality of the bench now that we have the five subs rule

You improve the quality of the bench by buying starters and pushing the current regulars out, not by buying players to sit and watch games. We've made this mistake far too many times already. Any signings this summer should either be on a par with McGinn and Mings in terms of relative ability or should be younger and able to improve over the next 12-18 months where they become that standard (but can be eased into the team rather than left to sink or swim like many were last year).

Signing 28+ year olds as cover is mon-ism at its very worst.

The bigger mistake that we've made far more recently is putting out a significant outlay in fees and wages for players intended for the first team who simply aren't good enough; over the past few years the would include the likes of Kalinic, Hogan, Lansbury, Targett, Trezeguet, Wesley, Samatta, Nakamba etc. etc.

I think there are worse things we could do than sign 1 or 2 free agents on reasonable wages who can put in a shift when needed and help us to see out games.

Poor game management being one of the things that had us down in the relegation zone to begin with.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #1382 on: August 04, 2020, 02:27:37 PM »
If last pre-season taught me one thing its that the media don't have a fucking clue who we are after, pretty much all our business was done with little links to them beforehand.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #1383 on: August 04, 2020, 02:30:57 PM »
Is the 5 sub rule permanent or just for next season due to the peculiarities of the C-19 situation?

They're positioning it as an 'extension' of the special measure for Covid-19, but I think we all know where this one is going unless the 20 PL clubs band together to oppose it; and the 'bigger' clubs won't.

I don't think it would be so bad if they said 2 of the 5 had to be young, say U23 players...

Offline fredm

• GM : 02.09.2024
« Reply #1384 on: August 04, 2020, 03:04:57 PM »
Doesn't it need 14 clubs in favour of a motion to get it passed?  If so, then only 7 need vote against it to prevent it and I would anticipate Villa as being one of those seeing how strongly we opposed it this year.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1385 on: August 04, 2020, 03:05:36 PM »
McCarthy and Hendrick coming in would add a lot of experience and industry to the squad. Far better to have in and around the team than Lansbury, Drinkwater, and Nakamba and proven to be able to contribute to mid table teams. Not signings to set the pulse racing, but for a combined £6-10m it would leave plenty of budget free for more exciting signings.

I get to see enough of Hendrick, McCarthy and Hourihane for Ireland and it's a midfield that bores the arse off me every time they play. Conor is enough at club level.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1386 on: August 04, 2020, 03:08:55 PM »
villareport
@villareport
Aston Villa are set to win the race for highly rated Exeter City midfielder Ben Chrisene. [devon live] #avfc
3:03 PM · Aug 4, 2020·Twitter for iPhone

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #1387 on: August 04, 2020, 03:10:35 PM »
16 year old Ben Chrisene?

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1388 on: August 04, 2020, 03:14:10 PM »
It would seem so.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #1389 on: August 04, 2020, 03:38:15 PM »
Ben Chrisine sounds like it should be a cream for athletes foot.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #1390 on: August 04, 2020, 03:48:41 PM »
If he proves as good as Watkins then he'll be ok

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #1391 on: August 04, 2020, 04:14:19 PM »
No to Hendrick.

He makes Drinkwater look like Zidane with the ball at his feet. 

Fine if you're looking to play the Burnleh way and want midfielders who will primarily get up and down the pitch and hack the ball away under pressure. We should be looking for a bit more, even from players coming off the bench.

Nathaniel Chalobah at Watford was highly rated when he was breaking through at Chelsea a few years ago. Still only 25 and -providing the fee wasn't mental - still something to work with. Extra height in midfield would aid some of our shortcomings at set pieces and he's fiesty enough when it comes to tackling.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #1392 on: August 04, 2020, 05:06:45 PM »
They're really trying to revolutionise the academy. Hoovering up a lot of very highly rated young players.

I wonder of the aim is the do a bit of a Chelsea?

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #1393 on: August 04, 2020, 05:51:23 PM »
They're really trying to revolutionise the academy. Hoovering up a lot of very highly rated young players.

I wonder of the aim is the do a bit of a Chelsea?

I agree with you about hoovering up the quality but hope that we are sufficiently improved, coaching wise, to make real stars of those players we've recently signed.  We do look like we mean business!

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #1394 on: August 04, 2020, 06:03:10 PM »
I'd also definitely be looking at Edouard at Celtic, no idea what kind of money they would expect but surely will be a lot less than trying to get Tammy back - I think if he spend a lot of time sitting on the bench at Chelsea then we could go back for him in the new year or next summer.

Seen £30m mentioned in a couple of newspaper articles. I think he's a really good shout and should be gettable. Good lineage coming from PSG, 40 goals in 60 games for Celtic (I know it's only a tinpot league but still good going), has played for all the French age group squads and still only 22.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal