collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 864442 times)

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #1095 on: July 31, 2020, 06:32:15 PM »
I have no issue with Buendia, i think he's a very good player, but I think him and Jack are too similar, I think a winger who gets in the box and scores goals (i.e. a better version of trez) is the most important signing.

This makes no sense.  Centre halves are similar, full backs are similar, Tony Daley and Dwight Yorker were (too) similar.  Sign him as it's a squad game and taking the pressure off Jack and asking teams to concentrate on two tricky players allows more space for others.

Online Olof's Beard

« Reply #1096 on: July 31, 2020, 06:34:57 PM »
I have no issue with Buendia, i think he's a very good player, but I think him and Jack are too similar, I think a winger who gets in the box and scores goals (i.e. a better version of trez) is the most important signing.

Agree with this. If Jack stays, then we need pace on the other side. We may try to move Jack back inside but all his best games came from that wide left position, both he and we struggled with him in the centre for the most part. A quick, goalscoring winger (or two) is the biggest priority for me. If he can deputise at centre forward when needed too then all the better.

Offline SheffieldVillain

• GM : 18.02.2022
« Reply #1097 on: July 31, 2020, 06:36:22 PM »

This makes no sense.  Centre halves are similar, full backs are similar, Tony Daley and Dwight Yorker were (too) similar.  Sign him as it's a squad game and taking the pressure off Jack and asking teams to concentrate on two tricky players allows more space for others.

Have to agree. I think having Jack and Buendia (or similar) in the same team would see both of their goal tallies go up because the tactic of doubling up on Jack which some teams have used this season would just give Buendia more space (and vice versa).

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1098 on: July 31, 2020, 07:01:40 PM »

Have to agree. I think having Jack and Buendia (or similar) in the same team would see both of their goal tallies go up because the tactic of doubling up on Jack which some teams have used this season would just give Buendia more space (and vice versa).

We play with 1 striker, if both of our wide players are play makers coming deep to get the ball then that striker will be isolated, just like they have been this season. A winger with pace who's looking to get into the box regularly remedies that without us needing to change our shape massively. I'd take Buendia if Jack goes or as the 4th or 5th signing of the summer when other key problems have been fixed but he's not a priority for me.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #1099 on: July 31, 2020, 07:16:50 PM »
It totally depends on the type of striker we have Paul.  Someone quick and who's movement is really good.  Let the opposition worry about us, push the full backs further forward, play with pace and power.  Have runners coming from everywhere.  That's why Sheffield United have been so good this season, well, that and their hard work.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #1100 on: July 31, 2020, 07:39:23 PM »
It totally depends on the type of striker we have Paul.  Someone quick and who's movement is really good.  Let the opposition worry about us, push the full backs further forward, play with pace and power.  Have runners coming from everywhere.  That's why Sheffield United have been so good this season, well, that and their hard work.

I agree with the first bit, which is why I'd like the other signings first. Longer term I agree with the rest but I don't think we can shift into that sort of team in the short time from now until next season starts so I'd rather we build on what we can do which is to press high and counter-attack.

Online garyellis

« Reply #1101 on: July 31, 2020, 08:08:24 PM »

I agree with the first bit, which is why I'd like the other signings first. Longer term I agree with the rest but I don't think we can shift into that sort of team in the short time from now until next season starts so I'd rather we build on what we can do which is to press high and counter-attack.
I am not disagreeing with your overall point of view. But if the budget is available the order players arrive in matters not.
It also makes sense to have someone in for a season who can take up the gap when Barcelona eventually (next season) come in for Jack 👍

Offline paul_e

« Reply #1102 on: July 31, 2020, 09:14:03 PM »

I am not disagreeing with your overall point of view. But if the budget is available the order players arrive in matters not.
It also makes sense to have someone in for a season who can take up the gap when Barcelona eventually (next season) come in for Jack 👍

I generally agree but this summer we really need someone who can run in behind teams and stop them coming too high up the pitch (if for no other reason than it creates gaps for players like Grealish and Buendia to work in). Last season we created a good amount of chances but what I don't remember seeing much of was genuine 1-on-1 chances. there were a handful but nothing like enough because we don't have anyone making those sort of runs on a regular basis. I think that's why you get people like Souness saying Jack holds onto the ball too long, it's because he doesn't get enough chances to play those killer passes through the defence.

Offline robleflaneur

« Reply #1103 on: July 31, 2020, 09:16:42 PM »
I agree with both  the need for  a second goalscorer, who comes in from wide to attack the box and above all to play with pace and power.Teams until lockdown were often  overpowering  us physically.A midfielder with those physical attributes  is essential for us.Buendia,fine player that he is, would only make the midfield even flimsier and he doesn't score enough to fit the second goalscorer role.Back up for Jack ok,so he would be a low priority for me,unless Jack goes.

Offline themossman

• GM : 06.05.2022
« Reply #1104 on: July 31, 2020, 09:22:19 PM »
I feel like we’ve always had a small team, especially midfield.

O’Neill liked big players didn’t he

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1105 on: July 31, 2020, 09:38:47 PM »
Petrov, NRC, Ash, Milner are all under 6ft. Gaz Baz was a player he inherited and he’s just over 6.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1106 on: July 31, 2020, 11:02:14 PM »
O'Neill had a habit of not bothering picking Fullbacks and playing CBs or Midfielders in those positions.

So Mellberg, Cuellar or Craig Gardner at RB for example.

Definitely felt like we were a physically bigger team under MON.

Offline robleflaneur

« Reply #1107 on: July 31, 2020, 11:15:44 PM »
It's not the size of the midfield but their lack of pace  and how poor they were at tracking runners,probably Grealish's only weakness..Hourihane is the prime example,great at set pieces,good shot ,seemingly ideal for a no.10 but his movement is woeful.Early in the season Luiz wasn't offering the protection that he did later.Nakamba is just technically poor,he creates danger when in possession, for us.
McGinn is the ideal role model and unfortunately sustained injuries and never fully recovered .A midfielder who offers protection to the back four ,allowing Luiz to attack or a box to box midfielder would be invaluable.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #1108 on: July 31, 2020, 11:26:29 PM »
O'Neill had a habit of not bothering picking Fullbacks and playing CBs or Midfielders in those positions.

So Mellberg, Cuellar or Craig Gardner at RB for example.

Definitely felt like we were a physically bigger team under MON.

Milner, NRC too.

75 minutes, Sidwell on, right back off, NRC to right back.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #1109 on: August 01, 2020, 12:12:36 AM »
It's not the size of the midfield but their lack of pace  and how poor they were at tracking runners,probably Grealish's only weakness..Hourihane is the prime example,great at set pieces,good shot ,seemingly ideal for a no.10 but his movement is woeful.Early in the season Luiz wasn't offering the protection that he did later.Nakamba is just technically poor,he creates danger when in possession, for us.
McGinn is the ideal role model and unfortunately sustained injuries and never fully recovered .A midfielder who offers protection to the back four ,allowing Luiz to attack or a box to box midfielder would be invaluable.

Luiz in front of the back 4 lets us counter really well because his use of the ball is so good, and he is a natural leader. Keep hold of him next season and a proper, quality box to box midfielder is where I would be looking, with some physicality. Sheffield United bought that big Norwegian in Jan for a similar role and hes show flashes but is just settling down. Someone like Dacoure at Watford would be a decent shout in there. Whoever it is needs the engine to do both sides of the game.

Buendia being linked I am ok with, hes a bit like a right sided Jack, and would be a good signing, as long as we get a fairly pacey striker with good movement AND another winger with genuine pace. If it was just 2 wingers, a top centre mid and a really good striker this window I would be pretty content that we are going to improve significantly on last too. Might need to replace Engels if he goes, and certainly need to get Nyland and Kalinic out and bring back Reina as number 2 keeper but that i more minor surgery than the other areas.

Someone made a great point earlier too, we need 3 forward players, and another midfielder just to give us options that can affect games from the bench now it has become a 16 man game next season.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal