collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 864762 times)

Offline Dick Edwards

Re: Summer transfer, gossip and speculation thread
« Reply #855 on: July 28, 2020, 09:20:11 AM »
I know we’ve been talking about Wolves a bit recently. A raid on them for one of their players would be a nice statement of intent and put them back in their box a bit!

Traore looks useful

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #856 on: July 28, 2020, 09:29:36 AM »
Zaha screams Everton.

This.

He's the sort of player they'll pay 60m for and he'll have an entirely unremarkable stay there.

See also Delph, Walcott

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #857 on: July 28, 2020, 09:30:36 AM »
Zaha screams Everton.

This.

He's the sort of player they'll pay 60m for and he'll have an entirely unremarkable stay there.

See also Delph, Walcott

Bolassie.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #858 on: July 28, 2020, 09:32:17 AM »
Zaha screams Everton.

This.

See also Delph, Walcott

Bolassie.

A reminder that they spent £40m on Alex Iwobi.

Offline Chipsticks

• GM : 22.04.2015
« Reply #859 on: July 28, 2020, 09:34:03 AM »
Zaha screams Everton.

This.

See also Delph, Walcott

Bolassie.

A reminder that they spent £40m on Alex Iwobi.

Yikes.

Offline AllanW

« Reply #860 on: July 28, 2020, 09:35:30 AM »
GK; Heaton, Steer, Kalinic, Reina, Nyland (Sarkic gone to Dogheads)

CB;                   RB;               LB;

Chester         Elmohamady         Taylor
Konsa            Guilbert         Targett
Engels            Bree
Hause
Mings

DM;                  CM;            AM;

Drinkwater         McGinn         Lansbury
Luiz                   Hourihane         Jota
Nakamba                             Grealish

Wingers;         Strikers;   

El Ghazi         Wesley
Trezeguet         Samatta
Green            Davis
                   Hogan
                   Vassiliev

Players; 31

To Go;
- Loans returned, contracts already notified as ending; 5;
Chester £0m, Drinkwater £0m, Lansbury £0m, Hogan £0m, Green £0m,
- To be sold, my guess; 2; Kalinic £3m, Nyland £2.5m (unless they return Reina)

Need;                                                                                              Upgrade;
Winger (L), Striker (to start the season), CB (if Engels is going), CM      LB,             

Possibilities;
*Lots of youngsters 18 – 21 we don’t know about*
Ryan Fraser (winger L) (free),
Jetro Willems (LB) (final year of contract, coming back from injury, played at NUFC on loan),
Angelino (LB) (on loan at Leipzig from Man City, looking to sell him),
Hernandez (striker) (on loan at Mallorca from Watford),
Benrahma (winger L) (Brentford, Smith knows him),
Grujic (CM) (Liverpool player returning from loan at Hertha Berlin)
Longstaff (CM/DM) (Newcastle youngster yet to sign a new contract)

Offline Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #861 on: July 28, 2020, 09:36:44 AM »
I reckon Zaha would score on his debut followed by a few more before drying up for the season.

Offline robbo1874

« Reply #862 on: July 28, 2020, 09:37:26 AM »
I know we’ve been talking about Wolves a bit recently. A raid on them for one of their players would be a nice statement of intent and put them back in their box a bit!

Traore looks useful
maybe we’ll get a discount because of some kind of sell-on clause when we first sold him! 😄

Offline Clive W

« Reply #863 on: July 28, 2020, 09:41:53 AM »
Not sure whether my cut and paste skills are up to it but here goes
By John Percy from the DT

Aston Villa have sacked sporting director Jesús García Pitarch after securing Premier League survival, with John McGinn insisting they need to add more “quality” players.

Pitarch was axed on Monday as the club took action for the maligned £140 million spend on recruitment, with the decision rubber-stamped by owners Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens.

Villa avoided the drop on the final day and, as reported by Telegraph Sport last month, are conducting a full review of their football operations with the inquest led by chief executive Christian Purslow.

Pitarch has paid the price after a number of summer signings failed to pay off. It is understood the Spaniard was behind the recruitment of record £21m signing Wesley, Trezeguet, Matt Targett, Mbwana Samatta and Marvelous Nakamba, who have all struggled to impress over the course of the season.

Villa will look to replace Pitarch, known as Suso, and view the position as a priority.

Jesus Garcia Pitarch has been sacked Credit: GETTY IMAGES
Dean Smith, the head coach, has been assured of funds for new signings over the summer and will target players in attacking areas, plus a central midfielder, a right-back and possibly another centre-half.

McGinn, the Scotland international, is expecting major changes and has warned that Villa cannot risk another season struggling near the bottom.

He said: “I think everyone is aware we need quality added. We obviously spent a lot of money last summer and we may need to go and do it again.

“We can’t get complacent and think everything is alright now. It was a poor season overall, we know that - us as players and I am sure everyone upstairs is fully aware of that.

“There will be changes, I am sure of that. The ones who know what this club means, know what it means to play here, need to get that across as quickly as possible to whoever comes in.

“There is no way we should be celebrating finishing 17th with the size and stature of this place and the money we have spent.”

Villa’s summer strategy appears likely to be defined by the future of captain Jack Grealish, who is on the radar of both Manchester clubs, although Grealish’s hopes of a move to Old Trafford have been fading for some time. Manchester United have little appetite to pay anywhere in the region of £80m and their priorities have changed with Paul Pogba staying and the impact of Bruno Fernandes.

Grealish scored the goal at West Ham on Sunday which ultimately secured Villa’s survival and admitted last week he was uncertain where he would be playing next season.

McGinn said: “We are not thinking about that now. He scored a massive goal for this club and no-one can get away from that.

Brothers in arms... but for how long? Jack Grealish (right) and John McGinn (left) shake hands Credit: GETTY IMAGES
“He woke up on Sunday and we had a chat, all the focus was on keeping Villa in this league. Our focus last season was getting the club promoted, our focus this year was keeping them in the league and we have managed to do that.

“What happens now, I’m not sure, but Jack is still contracted here. It has been a privilege to play alongside him and hopefully that continues but you never know in football.”

McGinn has confirmed he suffered a second stress fracture in March, after initially breaking his ankle in December, and is already focusing on next season.

The 25 year-old admitted 2020 has been “horrible” but believes Villa silenced their critics by staying up.

Premier League 2019/20 final standings (bottom five)

“I know we had 90,000 people at Wembley last season celebrating a play-off victory but this definitely feels sweeter,” he said.

“With four games to go we were seven points behind and not one person outside the club really believed we could stay up. In that sense the togetherness we showed and the character we showed to keep this club up is unbelievable.

“We were under enormous pressure, I’ve never known pressure like it before. There is a massive feeling of relief and elation.”

Smith, the head coach, has revealed he slept in his office at the training ground after a night of celebrations on Sunday.

Villa’s players returned to Bodymoor Heath after the West Ham game with the party going on into the early hours.

"I'm not great because it was a heavy night but I'm ok," Smith told talkSPORT on Monday morning. “I'm not sure what time it was. I slipped off before the lads could see me.

"I am immensely proud of the players and the staff because we had been written off by everybody. We walked off the pitch against Leicester and everybody was already saying we had been relegated.”

Offline Diablo

« Reply #864 on: July 28, 2020, 09:43:59 AM »
Thanks Clive, much appreciated!

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #865 on: July 28, 2020, 09:48:29 AM »
I'm quite happy with Konsa and Mings. Only need to sign someone as cover if Engels goes. Don't let it be Tuanzebe. I like him, but he's always injured.

Konsa has done well in the last few games, but I would be looking to bring some experience at both centre half and in central midfield to partner Mings and Luiz respectively.

Think the 4-2-3-1 formation has worked pretty well over the last few weeks and we just need to add a bit of experience and quality.

Offline Clive W

« Reply #866 on: July 28, 2020, 09:49:55 AM »
Thanks Clive, much appreciated!
No problems mate

Encouraging article - I get the impression Percy is one of us

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #867 on: July 28, 2020, 09:53:42 AM »
I didn't know McGinn had that stress fracture setback in March.  The lockdown really did save us then.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #868 on: July 28, 2020, 10:00:23 AM »
Good news about United perhaps doing one on Jack as well. If for nothing else, if he went to City at least he really would be going to get better under a coach who's perfect for him, rather than becoming another scapegoat for the spoiled brats in Peckham to whinge about on 606, demanding to sign Mbappe instead or something.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #869 on: July 28, 2020, 10:37:06 AM »
Thanks Clive.
We need Jack situation settled one way or the other this week as there is not much time and we must sign 3 real quality players.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal