collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by itmustbe_it is!
[Today at 10:44:59 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by eamonn
[Today at 10:38:10 PM]

Re: FFP by AV82EC
[Today at 10:36:39 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Behind Bluenose Lines
[Today at 10:32:22 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:30:40 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:29:02 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Demitri_C
[Today at 10:27:22 PM]

Re: FFP by aj2k77
[Today at 10:21:35 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 864626 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Summer transfer, gossip and speculation thread
« Reply #615 on: July 26, 2020, 07:09:46 PM »
As I said earlier, I'd like us to go for players from the next level up so I'd look at Volland or Thuram (probably looking around the £40m mark for either) and I'd speak to Gotze as a freebie option. 2 from those 3 and I'd be very happy with our attacking options.

Deeper I'd still like a big nasty bugger in midfield but I haven't seen an option I'd really like yet and I'd try to find a replacement for Taylor to really compete for the left back slot.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #616 on: July 26, 2020, 07:11:31 PM »
Outside of the usual suspects in 6th or 7th, the rest of the league is much of a muchness, so a solid midtable position shouldn't be asking for too much.  We need a lot more pace in the side, and obviously a front three worthy of the name.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #617 on: July 26, 2020, 07:13:28 PM »
I'd keep AEG and Trez as bench options, what we need is them not starting so often unless they are in form. With a short turnaround the last thing we need is replacing half the squad. Again.

Yep, today showed why, despite his goals, we can't rely on trez to perform every game, he's just not at that level right now. Hourihane showed his limitations as well, they bypassed him for most of the game making it 3 on 2 or large parts. I'd keep both because I think they have ability and have a good attitude but we need more consistency in the starting eleven.

Offline West Derby Villan

• GM : 09.05.2022
« Reply #618 on: July 26, 2020, 07:14:57 PM »
Outside of the usual suspects in 6th or 7th, the rest of the league is much of a muchness, so a solid midtable position shouldn't be asking for too much.  We need a lot more pace in the side, and obviously a front three worthy of the name.

Agree. Players with pace number one priority

Offline KRS

« Reply #619 on: July 26, 2020, 07:19:06 PM »
Get rid of Wesley, Samatta, Trezeguet, Nakamba and El Ghazi...all of them are not up to standard. Replace these 5 with upgrades and we’ll be much improved next season. Questions also need to be asked at left back because Targett and Taylor are dodgy at best...same applies to Elmo and Fred but not so urgent. Our CB pairings will have learned a lot from this season, so not too concerned there after recent performances, and it’s the midfield and up front where we need to have significant improvement.

I assume you want Lansbury and Jota replaced as well so that's 7-9 signings, if we do that we're in the shit again having to integrate half a squad into the existing group.

For me, without any changes, this team finishes 12-15th next season so I'd focus on removing the very worst players and bringing in top quality replacements that will want to be challenging for European football. It'll be a hard sell but if we can get 3-4 of them in to replace guys who don't really contribute then we can push into the top half.
True. I’d forgot about the likes of those pair, so they need to be shipped out first and we don’t want to be signing too many players again (however they hardly got any game time anyway so will hardly be missed).

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #620 on: July 26, 2020, 07:20:57 PM »
Get Ollie Watkins and Behrama From Brentford tomorrow and Messi.

Just watched Benrahma have a brilliant run, taking out several players in the process. He looks some player.

Offline jwarry

« Reply #621 on: July 26, 2020, 07:23:53 PM »
Well this thread may now get interesting.....

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #622 on: July 26, 2020, 07:25:11 PM »
Right some pace please.

Offline Colhint

• GM : 02.12.2016
« Reply #623 on: July 26, 2020, 07:32:18 PM »
Pace on the wing, don't know who. Someone about 28 in the middle and up front. Too many inexperienced, I would change that if Tammy was up front, but I don't think Chelsea would let him go.

Offline DB

• GM : 11.01.2021
« Reply #624 on: July 26, 2020, 07:35:16 PM »
We need to raise our game, better quality all around. No more unknown players from Europe or Championship level. If we are to get it right then Suso needs to go.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #625 on: July 26, 2020, 07:35:20 PM »

We've finished 19 points off 10th place. Everton in 12th also got 15 more point than us and we took 4 off them.

We'd have to sign incredibly well to have a small chance of top 10 next season particularly as we'll likely lose our best player.

I'd be happy just being 10 points clear of relegation.

I think our first signing of this summer will be Axel Tuanzabe anyway. Just seems an obvious move now with us staying up.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #626 on: July 26, 2020, 07:38:48 PM »
Tuanzebe is always injured, we don't need defenders anyway. Two forwards, two wingers, if everyone stays. That's all we need. Top half is hardly that difficult to achieve. Sheffield United and Burnley managed it.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #627 on: July 26, 2020, 07:40:05 PM »
Ok so realistically I like to see a tweaking of strategy to allow for more experience of premier league players to come in as well as the exciting overseas brands from South America
Also more sway for Deano and get what he pursuits as well as perhaps moving on Pitarch and replacing him ?
Though maybe that won't happen.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #628 on: July 26, 2020, 07:42:47 PM »

We've finished 19 points off 10th place. Everton in 12th also got 15 more point than us and we took 4 off them.

We'd have to sign incredibly well to have a small chance of top 10 next season particularly as we'll likely lose our best player.

I'd be happy just being 10 points clear of relegation.

I think our first signing of this summer will be Axel Tuanzabe anyway. Just seems an obvious move now with us staying up.

Yep, we beat Everton, Palace, Burnley, Brighton, Newcastle, Arsenal. There is a gap from us to them to varying degrees but it's not huge. We have a year of PL experience and we will be less naive from the manager through whoever remains at the club. Experience and savvy can be acquired but it's mostly earned. We will have more of that going into next season. What we don't need is more average 10-15m players. We need 4 or 5 very good players of the Douglas Luiz standard and price if we can find them.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #629 on: July 26, 2020, 07:45:30 PM »
I would suggest getting two top MLS players both south America
One is Cristian Pavon the winger attacker and the other is Josef Martinez who is the best striker in MLS and a natural goal scorer.

I also not averse to Theo Walcott . realistic and can be deployed as an attacking stroker who runs the channels has the experience has a good attitude and role model as well as good as we could possibly get with a couple seasons left in him

MLS is a very sub standard league. Almiron cost Newcastle 27m from Atlanta. He had 21 goals and 28 assists in 62 games and has failed at Newcastle. The jump is too big for most players. There are exceptions like Davies at Bayern, but generally they are lower PL or good Championship players at best

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal