collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 08:31:47 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:29:13 AM]

Re: Brian Evans by Scratchins
[Today at 08:23:18 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by Hillbilly
[Today at 08:13:33 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by algy
[Today at 07:57:27 AM]

Re: FFP by algy
[Today at 07:51:30 AM]

Re: FFP by Rigadon
[Today at 07:24:35 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 07:18:33 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 864253 times)

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Summer transfer, gossip and speculation thread
« Reply #585 on: July 26, 2020, 10:46:35 AM »
Hourihane, Samatta and Trez are probably the 3 weakest players in the team from the last few games

Trezeguet, without whose three goals in three matches we'd already be relegated?

Tough crowd.

I like him, but on balance over the season he wouldn't be someone who I'd start every week if we want finish top half. Same for Hourihane who is great at set pieces but doesn't offer enough in open play.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #586 on: July 26, 2020, 10:49:07 AM »
Hourihane, Samatta and Trez are probably the 3 weakest players in the team from the last few games

Trezeguet, without whose three goals in three matches we'd already be relegated?

Tough crowd.

I like him, but on balance over the season he wouldn't be someone who I'd start every week if we want finish top half. Same for Hourihane who is great at set pieces but doesn't offer enough in open play.

But you did say that they were the weakest players from the last few games which in the case of Hourihane and Trez, is untrue.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #587 on: July 26, 2020, 10:52:46 AM »
Trez and El Ghazi aren't players I'd be looking to bin off this summer. Both have something to offer.  I'd prefer to see more dynamic, quicker players in that final third though.

Engels, Nakamba and Taylor I'd be quite happy to see depart. You can make a case that the first two still need time to adapt.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #588 on: July 26, 2020, 11:15:03 AM »

Tough crowd.

But you did say that they were the weakest players from the last few games which in the case of Hourihane and Trez, is untrue.

So, they have hit form at the right time, hopefully continues today.  This debate will be continued after today's result eh?

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #589 on: July 26, 2020, 12:17:47 PM »
Trez and El Ghazi aren't players I'd be looking to bin off this summer. Both have something to offer.  I'd prefer to see more dynamic, quicker players in that final third though.

Engels, Nakamba and Taylor I'd be quite happy to see depart. You can make a case that the first two still need time to adapt.
Trez and El Ghazi are both Ok when they don't have time to think - to me, that's not the sign of a footballer who is going to get better. They make good contributions occasionally, nowhere near consistent enough. But, there aren't too many that are; Ah fuck I'm confused.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #590 on: July 26, 2020, 12:33:10 PM »
Are people genuinely arguing that we don't need new players to play on the wing or in midfield if we want to improve? Almost everyone who's commented on the signings we need for the summer has picked out those 2 positions as key (with most adding a striker on top).

Trez and Hourihane have something to offer, I've defended the 2 of them more than most, but they can't be starting 30+ games next season if we want to improve because over the season they've shown they blow hot and cold.

I'm not saying dump them completely, they're good squad players who can come in and have an impact. I'd look to move on Steer/Nyland, Lansbury and Jota because they offer very little and I'd try to replace Taylor so our 'style' isn't changed so much if Targett isn't available. That's assuming Hogan and Kalinic are already halfway out the door.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #591 on: July 26, 2020, 12:40:09 PM »
Agree Paul_e

Online Clampy

« Reply #592 on: July 26, 2020, 12:49:31 PM »
I don't think anyone on here is saying we don't need new players, of course we do.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #593 on: July 26, 2020, 12:54:00 PM »
I don't think anyone on here is saying we don't need new players, of course we do.

Do you dispute that a Midfielder and a winger are top of the shopping list?

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #594 on: July 26, 2020, 01:12:08 PM »
A striker is at the top of the list surely?

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #595 on: July 26, 2020, 01:16:51 PM »
The shopping list is probably....
Striker(s)
Winger(s)
Midfielder(s)
Defender(s)
Full-back(s)
Manager

Online Clampy

« Reply #596 on: July 26, 2020, 01:32:59 PM »

Do you dispute that a Midfielder and a winger are top of the shopping list?

The only thing I disputed is your claim that Trez, Samatta and Hourhiane have been the weakest players in the last few games. I didn't even mention new signings but yes, we do new players.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #597 on: July 26, 2020, 02:36:28 PM »
A striker is at the top of the list surely?

For me that depends on Wesley and on the sort of winger we look for. A winger who would get 10-15 a season and Wesley coming back pretty early on would give us a chance to see if Samatta and Davis can step up. Samatta hasn't been good enough since his first 2-3 games but I don't think he's played enough games to be written off. Davis I'm more torn on, there's things I like about him but the lack of goals is clearly a problem.

If Wesley is unlikely to play before Christmas or Smith decides to go for a more traditional winger then a striker becomes far more important.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #598 on: July 26, 2020, 02:49:08 PM »
Wesley isn't good enough. We need a striker. Ideally, at least two.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #599 on: July 26, 2020, 02:50:23 PM »
Wesley might end up being good enough, but he needs to be bedded in not have all the responsibility on him. So we do need a striker.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal