collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 01:05:47 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ducksworthy
[Today at 01:01:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 01:00:58 PM]

Gordon Cowans by Flamingo Lane
[Today at 12:56:46 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:46:19 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 865050 times)

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
Re: Summer transfer, gossip and speculation thread
« Reply #510 on: July 23, 2020, 12:26:02 PM »
Abraham I'd go for but some of the other suggestions over the past couple of pages, no thanks. Benteke if we go down perhaps but not in the Premier League.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #511 on: July 23, 2020, 12:40:33 PM »
I'm optimisitic for next season but if our main attacking signing was Wilson, Gayle or Mitrovic I'd struggle to see any positives.

Last summer there was a rumour we were looking for another striker and one of the names mentioned was Ben-Yedder who's spent a year scoring for fun in France. That's the sort of striker we should be going for, 1 that could genuinely be in the mix for top scorer in the league. signing late 20s/ early 30s strikers who've barely ever managed to get double figures in the premier league despite many chances is just wasting money for the sake of it.

Offline mallo

• GM : 28.03.2021
« Reply #512 on: July 23, 2020, 12:45:20 PM »
Surely without having to lay out another 100M we can go out and get 2 strikers? Even if we pay £45M for one (caveat decent one) and stop trying to get young hopefuls we should be avoiding the relegation battle. Add in a couple of midfielders and we'd have enough. We'll see the ambition properly this time - no excuses.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #513 on: July 23, 2020, 01:43:41 PM »
Strange with Abraham, last season with us he was unstopable for a good part of the season and faded toward the end, it seems the same with Chelsea he was an automatic pick but seems to have faded and is now coming off the bench. Could just be an age thing.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #514 on: July 23, 2020, 01:48:08 PM »
Strange with Abraham, last season with us he was unstopable for a good part of the season and faded toward the end, it seems the same with Chelsea he was an automatic pick but seems to have faded and is now coming off the bench. Could just be an age thing.
And, it could be that the opponents have sussed him out as the season has gone on (and / or, opposition teams gave him too much space earlier on in the season, as our defence did at SB) .

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #515 on: July 23, 2020, 02:25:23 PM »
Surely without having to lay out another 100M we can go out and get 2 strikers? Even if we pay £45M for one (caveat decent one) and stop trying to get young hopefuls we should be avoiding the relegation battle. Add in a couple of midfielders and we'd have enough. We'll see the ambition properly this time - no excuses.

Spending £40-45m on a striker doesn't guarantee anything (Joelinton and Haller are the proof here). More important is good scouting and getting someone with the right attributes to fill our needs. The top 2 are pace and finishing.

The biggest problem though is the squad size limits. We can registered 25 players that are over 21. That's 2 for each position, a 3rd keeper and 2 spare outfield players. Given we play 1 up front 3 strikers on the books is fine, especially if we have 4 wingers and 1-2 of them can play centrally. Given the squad we have right now Jota being replaced gives 1 spot as a winger and a second spot is either replacing Davis/Samatta or leaving Wesley out of the squad until the January window to give us the 1 striker. If you go for a 2nd new striker then you're saying Wesley is definitely out until January and I don't think that's the case.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #516 on: July 23, 2020, 02:46:16 PM »
I would love us to sign Tammy Abraham.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #517 on: July 23, 2020, 08:30:30 PM »
If think the priority should be getting upgrades for Drinkwater & Baston, plus as an optional extra maybe Lansbury or Jota if we can shift them. Can see what happens when you spread money around too thinly. We didn't have much choice but to do that this season, but next year I'd rather we brought in small numbers of higher quality players.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #518 on: July 23, 2020, 10:26:06 PM »
Small numbers of high quality players is exactly what we should be doing.

1 x winger preferably left sided with pace
1 x centre forward With pace
1 x central midfielder built like a brick shithouse.

Not much change out of £80-£100m with that lot.

Top that up with a reserve left back, reserve centre back and a jobbing midfielder and I’d be happy.

To make room for that lot I’d let AEG, Engels, Drinkwater, Jota, Lansbury and Taylor go and send Davis on loan. I think Hogans deal runs out as well so he’d be released as well. I’d include 1 or 2 upcoming youth players in the 25, though would that waste spaces as you’d be able to use them anyway?

This of course assumes we stay up.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #519 on: July 23, 2020, 10:28:19 PM »
I think Hogan has another year, but with Chelts having an in with pet insurance I can imagine there's a deal to be done.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #520 on: July 23, 2020, 10:33:36 PM »
I think Hogan has another year, but with Chelts having an in with pet insurance I can imagine there's a deal to be done.

Ah the old sack, rope and canal solution.

"Daddy, where's Scotty gone."

"Gone to live on a farm in Wales son."

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #521 on: July 23, 2020, 11:18:05 PM »
So pet food factory it is then?

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #522 on: July 23, 2020, 11:20:12 PM »
So pet food factory it is then?

I was thinking he had a future in beach transit but, ultimately, we need a signed order form.

Offline TonyD

« Reply #523 on: July 24, 2020, 01:00:27 AM »
If we stay up we need to spend big on a proven striker.

Like when we signed Bent.   

Offline Hillbilly

« Reply #524 on: July 24, 2020, 02:54:37 AM »
Bid for Troy Deeney just to piss him off.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal