collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[April 26, 2024, 11:19:52 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Percy McCarthy
[April 26, 2024, 11:04:45 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by trinityoap
[April 26, 2024, 11:02:50 PM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Olympiacos) by nordenvillain
[April 26, 2024, 10:37:12 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by PaulWinch again
[Today at 03:31:43 AM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by eamonn
[Today at 01:44:58 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by ROBBO
[Today at 12:28:16 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Bournemouth Post Match Thread by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:09:49 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Tokyo Sexwhale
[Today at 12:07:30 AM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[April 26, 2024, 11:59:47 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:58:34 PM]

[April 26, 2024, 11:45:44 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 876785 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: Summer/Autumn Transfer Thread & Championship Plotting
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2020, 05:44:40 PM »
I look skyward, I see no vultures...
Re the £100m funding, I'm not so sure. On what they've produced in this division, I don't envisage many suitors for either Mings or McGinn. The latter's made as much impression as Brett Holman, ie quite good up until December. Bruce might take him off our hands for what we paid. And I'd be surprised if any teams above Brighton currently think Mings is an answer to their problems.

McGinn leaving for <£3m?! Wow.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2020, 05:46:03 PM »
I’d be amazed if Mings, Jack, McGinn and Luiz aren’t already spoken for elsewhere.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2020, 06:20:30 PM »
I think the purported release of some players will be just as a technical business as fully expect several of these to be playing for villa if it has to be Championship football
O’Hare,Green and  Hepburn-Murphy.
Those 3 should be kept on. And I say they will if we get relegated . You just see.
And look at Gary Gardner can we swap him back with Jota

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2020, 06:26:07 PM »
Mings, Grealish, McGinn, Luiz all will go anyway.

The following appear to have a year left on their contracts, Elmo, Davis, Jota, Lansbury, Taylor, Bree, Nyland. Would keep first two, rest of them aren't good enough for second tier although Lansbury's wages likely to be a problem to shift.

I'll assume Trez will go anyway, AEG, Wes, Samatta who knows what kind of clauses could be in place. Wes injury won't exactly help matters trying to flog him.

So your starting the season with
Heaton/Steer
Elmo/Guilbert
Engels, Konsa, Hause
Targett
Hourihane, Nakamba, Ramsey
AEG, Wes, Samatta, Davis

With the right additions it's still going to be a reasonable squad in the second tier under the right management.

Offline JJ-AV

• GM : 26.07.2022
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2020, 06:30:59 PM »
Try and keep McGinn.

Jeff Hendrick (if we can convince him to drop)
Eze
Lolley
Gayle

And a couple of Premier League loans to bolster the squad

That'd be a good start

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2020, 06:35:10 PM »
Re the £100m funding, I'm not so sure. On what they've produced in this division, I don't envisage many suitors for either Mings or McGinn. The latter's made as much impression as Brett Holman, ie quite good up until December. Bruce might take him off our hands for what we paid. And I'd be surprised if any teams above Brighton currently think Mings is an answer to their problems.

Current prices we are picking up the thick end of £175m in selling Jack, Mings, McGinn and Luiz.

Offline Ads

« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2020, 06:41:30 PM »
McGinn might be the one to stick around. The meatball is perhaps the least likely to rock anyboats, his international career isn't dependent on Premier League football and if nobody is willing to pay £30m plus- do we need to sell when Jack et al are bringing in £100m?

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2020, 06:43:00 PM »
Inevitably Grealish (about £65 million, Mings (£35 million), McGinn (£25-30 million) and Luiz (£20m back to Man City) will all leave. The idea McGinn was good to December then nothing is somewhat caveated with a broken leg, so I would expect someone will pay some good money for him still, and he will want to go. Mings is the only one I can see saying he will stay to get us back, I think he likes belonging somewhere.

Trezeguet will go to Turkey, and no chance will El Ghazi stay.

This season our 2 biggest issues have been pace through the team, and having a lack of shape and plan at the back. With that in mind we need to get an experienced leader into the back 4. A player like that James Chester would be good at that level!

We need a fast full back that can play right or left, then we need 2 strong, fast, direct wingers that can carry us forward. We are pathetically pedestrian.

Up top Wesley and Samatta will both score if you have wide players that will create.

Eze to replace Grealish is a must too. Fabulous player.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2020, 06:47:25 PM »
Watkins from Brentford if he doesn't get snapped up. Right age, quick, eye for goal.

Offline Ads

« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2020, 06:48:51 PM »
We sell quite expensive. Milner stupidity aside, we don't tend to have our pants pulled down. We saw off Spurs with Grealish and Benteke and of course, the great Weasel Robbery where we mugged the Scousers with all the proficiency of that crew out of Heat.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2020, 06:57:45 PM by Ads »

Offline Luke8

« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2020, 06:52:39 PM »
I don’t think there is any chance that Eze is playing in the Championship next year.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2020, 06:56:22 PM »

I don't think he's leaving. But trying to look at it impartially, what sort of signing would he be for someone else? "Yeah, he looked good in the Championship the season before last, but didn't particularly stand out in the PL, ran out of steam before Christmas, and then was out for months with an injury". It'd be the sort of signing which if we made it from a relegated side, I bet most of us on here would consider it uninspiring at best.

His worth to Aston Villa is far greater than what the market will determine, in my opinion. He's not done enough yet.

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2020, 07:05:44 PM »

Current prices we are picking up the thick end of £175m in selling Jack, Mings, McGinn and Luiz.

No chance.

About £30-35m for Jack, and about 15 for McGinn.

We would be lucky to get our money back for Mings who has been extremely disappointing at this level and certainly not worth the fee we spent.

Given our wage bill and the reduced income we will not have much to spend without having ffp issues. We need a better manager than Smith and a better DOF than Suso. Given the steadfast refusal to accept this we probably need a better chairman than Purslow too.

That squad minus Jack has no chance of going back up without better coaching and management, and some additions. No way is Wesley / Samara / Davis good enough to score many in the Championship. So top of the list is a striker, followed by anyone that can tackle in midfield and anyone with pace.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2020, 07:05:48 PM »
McGinn might be the one to stick around. The meatball is perhaps the least likely to rock anyboats, his international career isn't dependent on Premier League football and if nobody is willing to pay £30m plus- do we need to sell when Jack et al are bringing in £100m?

I’ve been the same about McGinn. Whilst the broken ankle has definitely damaged our prospects this season, it might actually work in our favour in terms of us keeping him. The idea of a Man U coming in for him just doesn’t seem realistic now, compared to when Fergie was touting him in September.
My ideal would be a combination of players with the potential to hone their game in the championship but with enough quality to step up if we got promoted alongside some older heads. Saying that we’ll have to also keep some of the current squad.

I think
Heaton with either steer or nyland as understudy would be fine

Guilbert and Targett for that division would be fine and Guilbert in particular could step up back to the premier with another year under his belt.
Hause would be ok in that league with someone experienced beside him, someone like a Duffy if he would come. I do also think Hause
has potential to get better.

Midfield needs an overhaul, Luiz would excel in that division, but I have a feeling he’ll go. I think El Ghazi and Trez can and will go and Hourihane is a squad player even in championship. Maybe  nakamba  may fimd his level a league below, as said above hopefully we can keep McGinn. A new combative and creative centre midfielder that can step up if we go up is a must and two wingers.

Up front, with nurturing and coaching Wes could come good, but have to have one or two more who can take burden off. Samatta may score goals in championship and we would need another.

I think we need to move away from just buying the better players in that league, like Lolley. Been there and done that with Lansbury, hourihane, hogan etc. We also need to integrate Vassilel and Barry into the squad.

Offline ldavfc4eva

« Reply #59 on: June 27, 2020, 07:18:01 PM »
However much we get, if we keep the same recruitment staff and manager it will get wasted.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal