collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 873443 times)

Online Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #8415 on: September 30, 2020, 11:57:42 AM »
Villa now have the best 2 English midfielders in the league
Lol
Hyperbole at it's very best
Some balance is required here: there's a reason Chelsea have loaned him out - he is inconsistent ("when he's good he's very, very good ..."), not perhaps as a good a team player as he should be and doesn't appear to do the unglamorous things very well (like tracking back).
However, he is definitely an upgrade on Hourihane and could be coached into being more consistently better.

I think the observation about him being a 60-minute player is a good one - and many of his England appearances have been as a sub, haven't they?

Offline danno

« Reply #8416 on: September 30, 2020, 12:38:25 PM »
Doesn't Barkley just have to better than Nakamba and Lansbury (until January) to make it even semi worthwhile?  Seems a fairly low and achievable threshold tbh.

That was the rationale that saw us get Drinkwater in last January! Barkley isn't the type of player to sit in next to Luiz and get the ball to the likes of Grealish and McGinn quickly. That's what we need.

The rationale was sound, the subject (Drinkwater) was suspect. Not taking a completely different player out on loan because one was a loaf of bread is crazy. Based on that logic we'd never had signed Luiz from Man City because previously Ireland and Lescott were such disasters.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #8417 on: September 30, 2020, 12:42:58 PM »
Doesn't Barkley just have to better than Nakamba and Lansbury (until January) to make it even semi worthwhile?  Seems a fairly low and achievable threshold tbh.

That was the rationale that saw us get Drinkwater in last January! Barkley isn't the type of player to sit in next to Luiz and get the ball to the likes of Grealish and McGinn quickly. That's what we need.

The rationale was sound, the subject (Drinkwater) was suspect. Not taking a completely different player out on loan because one was a loaf of bread is crazy. Based on that logic we'd never had signed Luiz from Man City because previously Ireland and Lescott were such disasters.

Very well put, there's not really any come back from that.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #8418 on: September 30, 2020, 12:43:48 PM »
I'm chuffed with this as I do rate Barkley. It's true to say that this is a statement of intent.Can't wait to see two of England's best midfielders linking up together in claret and blue. Could be one of the deciding factors in Jack committing to the club?If you can't get a little bit excited by what's happening at Villa Park right now you're never going to. Welcome Ross. Go for it.

Offline maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #8419 on: September 30, 2020, 12:44:46 PM »

Quite clearly you have been fortunate enough to have been able to totally erase Micah Richards from your memory.

Offline Pat Mustard

« Reply #8420 on: September 30, 2020, 12:49:24 PM »
We have got to be happy with the way the window has gone this summer, I'm just wondering if we might have one more marquee signing to make?  The type of player who maybe wouldn't have signed for us a couple of months back, but could have been convinced now by the intent we have shown to no longer be also-rans.

Offline danno

« Reply #8421 on: September 30, 2020, 12:50:20 PM »

Quite clearly you have been fortunate enough to have been able to totally erase Micah Richards from your memory.

For some reason i thought we signed him from Fiorentina, he probably should have been the example I gave considering Lescott was from the stripeys!

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #8422 on: September 30, 2020, 12:56:41 PM »
I'm very happy with what we have done so far but my feeling is we need a left back and a centre forward.

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #8423 on: September 30, 2020, 01:01:47 PM »
Still expect us to get one more in

Offline maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #8424 on: September 30, 2020, 01:07:59 PM »

For some reason i thought we signed him from Fiorentina, he probably should have been the example I gave considering Lescott was from the stripeys!

I think he had been on loan there.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #8425 on: September 30, 2020, 01:08:16 PM »
I'm very happy with what we have done so far but my feeling is we need a left back and a centre forward.
I think we're going with what we've got at left back, we can't change the whole squad this window.

As for a forward, I imagine it will be someone who can play wide and upfront as opposed to a straight up centre forward to compete with Watkins.  Someone like King.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #8426 on: September 30, 2020, 01:08:37 PM »
Just can't see us getting the players we need. It's probably not realistic to expect us to have decent cover in all areas yet finance wise, but you can all pick players in the team where if you take them out injured and we're in big trouble because the reserves are a massive step down. I think with the centre forward, Smith is going to risk it. It was Wilson or Watkins and not both.

Offline Holy Trinity

« Reply #8427 on: September 30, 2020, 01:10:45 PM »
If you told me we would be signing a chelsea player who played 31 times for them last season I would have laughed at you.

This is a big signing for us and I hope it has an option so if it works we can keep him.

2 more through the door and I'm ecstatic with this window and smiths turn around in ability. 

richtheholtender

« Reply #8428 on: September 30, 2020, 01:12:16 PM »
I can’t think of us having a better window. Maybe the one where we signed Carlos cuellar

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #8429 on: September 30, 2020, 01:12:45 PM »
Ross  *is on the way - apparently.
Seems my ITK was right.

*Changed

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal