collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Exeter 77
[Today at 09:49:01 PM]

Ross Barkley: Coming back? by VillaTim
[Today at 09:48:16 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by The Edge
[Today at 09:37:36 PM]

Season Tickets by Exeter 77
[Today at 09:31:00 PM]

Past Managers, Love or Hate? by Monty
[Today at 09:27:43 PM]

Tennis 2024 by Monty
[Today at 09:25:59 PM]

Kits 24/25 by nigel
[Today at 08:53:25 PM]

Cubs/Clarets membership by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 08:43:53 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Exeter 77
[Today at 09:49:01 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Clampy
[Today at 09:48:45 PM]

Re: Ross Barkley: Coming back? by VillaTim
[Today at 09:48:16 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by john e
[Today at 09:46:01 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by trinityoap
[Today at 09:44:24 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 09:43:19 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by robleflaneur
[Today at 09:41:53 PM]

Re: Ross Barkley: Coming back? by brontebilly
[Today at 09:41:35 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread  (Read 889239 times)

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
Re: Summer transfer, gossip, speculation and the usual butter ollocks thread
« Reply #4185 on: September 02, 2020, 01:39:15 PM »
The international break is now the excuse, lol. So first it was a few teams haven't finished their season yet, now it's the break, then what? Too close to the season to get reinforcements in so no one will sell. Then we hit January and it's the old January window excuse.

We are full of excuses. And that is why we don't do any good any more. Talk of acting like we mean business and acting like we are a big club is just that, talk. We don't walk the walk and haven't done for a long time. We come up with reasons why we can't.

Why are you losing your rag over what someone has posted on a forum? The window closes in five weeks, calm down.

I am not sure he needs to calm down, he just happens to have a difference of opinion that he is perfectly within his right to express, the place would be very boring without people having different view points.

I go back to Smith stating he wanted players in well in time for the first game, unlike last season.

I agree with the point that Hourihane and Trez should be absolved of the awful list, both did enough in the run in to fully justify their places in the squad, but we saw last season that Sheffield United on the back of the lockdown break were there for the taking, but our front line were nowhere near good enough to take advantage.

Currently we are likely to be starting with the same front line. Not a huge amount is going to have changed, after which we go to Fulham. Those first 2 games are as important as they get in terms of looking at ticking off points that are "winnable" before playing Liverpool. I don't think it is unreasonable to be concerned that a side that survived by the last cells of the skin of their teeth last season, have not yet strengthened with 10 days to go until the season starts, especially when it would appear most of our targets are pretty obvious, and paying 2-3 million more would probably have had them sorted by now. We are playing chance a little at the moment, while our better players will be watching on thinking about their own futures. I don't see 3 sides considerably worse than us at the moment. Fulham and West Brom maybe. Leeds have a considerably better manager and are signing good players on paper.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #4186 on: September 02, 2020, 01:40:25 PM »
.... We are full of excuses. And that is why we don't do any good any more. Talk of acting like we mean business and acting like we are a big club is just that, talk. We don't walk the walk and haven't done for a long time. We come up with reasons why we can't.
How can anyone on here possibly know what's going on behind closed doors?! We have no idea about the state of play on purchase negotiations, and what games different clubs are playing to maximise their income from player-disposals; and which transfer depends on the purchase of other players, etc. - that's why the thread is titled as it is.

Online Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #4187 on: September 02, 2020, 01:40:50 PM »
The Trez, Hourihane, El Ghazi and Samatta timebomb is still ticking. I hope we're still not waiting for Brentford to check their answer phone messages. 37 days gone, 18 left until the big kick off.

33 days to go in transfer window, that’s the significant one

Wrong, we stayed up by a single point. EVERY game is vital because as is we are the 17th best team in the division and in for another season long struggle.

It’s not wrong at all in my opinion, the right players is the most important thing - there is no guarantee that we would lose the first 2/3 games with the side (goalkeeper aside) that picked up 8 points in the last 4 games.

Absolutely would be wonderful if the day the guys get back from international break that we have all our signings done & on the BMH pitches but the fact remains that a lot of business will be done by all the sides you’d expect to be in the bottom few places in the last week of the window.

I think the international break is a very important point in this. On it's own that makes this week both more difficult to complete the signings of a lot of players and also makes it less urgent that we get the players on the training ground as soon as possible. Any signing between now and next Thursday is unlikely to meet a big part of our squad until then anyway so we're really looking at having the whole team together for 8-9 days before the Sheffield United game now with the cup game in midweek mostly just giving us a chance of an extra pre-season game.
But if we could get them signed, moved and fully settled in this week then they'd be in a position to make the absolute most of those 8-9 days

Well it looks like Matty Cash will be in that position :-) tho he might have the best of both worlds if he lives around Nottingham and doesn’t even need to move house straight away....at least until the signing on fee hits the bank :-)

Offline exigo

« Reply #4188 on: September 02, 2020, 01:41:05 PM »
Cash done for £14m plus add-ons according to various sources.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #4189 on: September 02, 2020, 01:45:49 PM »
That's a lot of money for a fullback when we've got Guilbert.  It's difficult to argue that £18m is fair for a player who scored 26 goals in the league when we're paying up to £16m for a fullback.

Hopefully he'll be really good for us but it's not where I would have spent such a sizable chunk of our budget.

edit - didn't mean to come accross quite so negative.  Excellent fullbacks are invalauble in the modern game and hopefully we've got a good 'un.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2020, 01:48:06 PM by chrisw1 »

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #4190 on: September 02, 2020, 01:47:38 PM »
Cash done for £14m plus add-ons according to various sources.

If true, Elmo to The Toon has gotta be a shoo in

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4191 on: September 02, 2020, 01:48:11 PM »
The international break is now the excuse, lol. So first it was a few teams haven't finished their season yet, now it's the break, then what? Too close to the season to get reinforcements in so no one will sell. Then we hit January and it's the old January window excuse.

We are full of excuses. And that is why we don't do any good any more. Talk of acting like we mean business and acting like we are a big club is just that, talk. We don't walk the walk and haven't done for a long time. We come up with reasons why we can't.

Why are you losing your rag over what someone has posted on a forum? The window closes in five weeks, calm down.

I am not sure he needs to calm down, he just happens to have a difference of opinion that he is perfectly within his right to express, the place would be very boring without people having different view points.

I go back to Smith stating he wanted players in well in time for the first game, unlike last season.

I agree with the point that Hourihane and Trez should be absolved of the awful list, both did enough in the run in to fully justify their places in the squad, but we saw last season that Sheffield United on the back of the lockdown break were there for the taking, but our front line were nowhere near good enough to take advantage.

Currently we are likely to be starting with the same front line. Not a huge amount is going to have changed, after which we go to Fulham. Those first 2 games are as important as they get in terms of looking at ticking off points that are "winnable" before playing Liverpool. I don't think it is unreasonable to be concerned that a side that survived by the last cells of the skin of their teeth last season, have not yet strengthened with 10 days to go until the season starts, especially when it would appear most of our targets are pretty obvious, and paying 2-3 million more would probably have had them sorted by now. We are playing chance a little at the moment, while our better players will be watching on thinking about their own futures. I don't see 3 sides considerably worse than us at the moment. Fulham and West Brom maybe. Leeds have a considerably better manager and are signing good players on paper.

I was referring to his 'were full of excuses' rant just because a poster suggested a lack of signings may be held up due to the international break. Judging by your long rant, I think you need to as well. Chill.

Online JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #4192 on: September 02, 2020, 01:56:29 PM »
matty cash agree fee then with forest14 mill  rising to 16 with add ons

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #4193 on: September 02, 2020, 01:58:13 PM »
It's a football forum, people have a right to express their concern.

People always say calm down, there's x days left etc, things will be ok.  Well they're not always ok.  They weren't ok last summer when we left ourselves hopelessly short up front or the summer before when we left ourselves hopelessly short at the back or in January when we ended up with Drinkwater & Baston.

We all know the club is working hard and these things take time, but we're cutting it fine and we all know the likley consequences if we don't get it right.

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #4194 on: September 02, 2020, 02:05:00 PM »
Brentford want 28m for Watkins.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4195 on: September 02, 2020, 02:05:28 PM »

People always say calm down, there's x days left etc, things will be ok.  Well they're not always ok.  They weren't ok last summer when we left ourselves hopelessly short up front or the summer before when we left ourselves hopelessly short at the back or in January when we ended up with Drinkwater & Baston.

We all know the club is working hard and these things take time, but we're cutting it fine and we all know the likley consequences if we don't get it right.

So what do you suggest, we sign anyone for the sake of it? I say calm down because the window closes in just under five weeks time. Getting in players for the kick off would be ideal obviously but don't forget, we kick off a week later.

Offline Big Ming

« Reply #4196 on: September 02, 2020, 02:07:11 PM »
That's a lot of money for a fullback when we've got Guilbert.  It's difficult to argue that £18m is fair for a player who scored 26 goals in the league when we're paying up to £16m for a fullback.

Hopefully he'll be really good for us but it's not where I would have spent such a sizable chunk of our budget.

edit - didn't mean to come accross quite so negative.  Excellent fullbacks are invalauble in the modern game and hopefully we've got a good 'un.
I'm not sure that it is a such a chunk of our budget.

I still think we might spend £150m or more if players we want are available.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #4197 on: September 02, 2020, 02:17:20 PM »

So what do you suggest, we sign anyone for the sake of it? I say calm down because the window closes in just under five weeks time. Getting in players for the kick off would be ideal obviously but don't forget, we kick off a week later.
I'm just saying I understand why people are anxious.  If there's a key player we really want then maybe we should consider stretching that bit further to get them over the line and get things moving.  Gregg Evans (yes I know) said we were confident of getting Benrahma right up to deadline day last year.  Imagine what a difference he might have made.

Offline maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #4198 on: September 02, 2020, 02:19:43 PM »
It's says much that we have reached the point of discussing a player at a party that doesn't play for us and we haven't been linked with. Considering the importance of this window, it's a bit rubbish so far.

Everton are going to have a very decent team if it clicks aren't they.

Could have said that before the start of all of the last 3 seasons. Yet have struggled to finish in top half.

Offline Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #4199 on: September 02, 2020, 02:21:50 PM »
Our first game is in 18 days time. We got the majority of our signings in pretty early last summer, and to be honest it didn't look as if it had much of an impact on our results. Considering we're not doing a full overhaul of the squad this year, as long as we get the right players in, ideally in time for our first game, then i don't think it's the disaster some are making it out to be.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal