collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Lee Hendrie Guardian article  (Read 3407 times)

Offline villabear

Lee Hendrie Guardian article
« on: May 17, 2020, 10:37:27 PM »
Lil Lee article from the Guardian talking quite openly about trying to take his own life and renewed hope.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/may/17/lee-hendrie-interview-aston-villa-england-harrys-heroes

Apologies if this has appeared on the site before. Mods feel free to merge if so.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
Re: Lee Hendrie Guardian article
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2020, 11:26:40 PM »
I hope things continue to look up for him once this has passed,

Offline Mellin

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2020, 11:42:15 PM »
What a candid interview that is. Always liked Lee Hendrie. Could've probably amounted to more, but you can say that about 90% of people including myself. Bottom line is he had a good career and played around 250 games for Villa and always gave his best, and added a bit of quality too. I'd have taken that! Glad he's turning things round. More power to him.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2020, 12:48:18 AM »
Sad to read he's still struggling as there was a similar article a couple of years ago. Since then he's been a regular Sky pundit - and pretty decent too in fairness. Can't flick a switch on depression obviously. He's got a bunch of kids who are far better-off with him in his life than without so hopefully he keeps the demons at bay.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2020, 09:51:33 AM »
He's a good pundit.  Better than most I think but that might be because I'm biased.  I liked him as a player too even with all the baggage. He got some unmerciful stick on here, some of it justified I might add but I don't think people really knew what was going on in his head back then.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2020, 10:11:05 AM »
As a pundit he doesn't appear to resort to cliché very often and I've been impressed every time I've heard him. He also has the ability to reign in his bias when he covers our games and can be objective.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2020, 10:21:47 AM »
I've met him for a chat a few times now, and like Ian Taylor he's very down to earth, very friendly and a really nice bloke. 

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2020, 11:31:14 AM »
Lee is on SKY Sports program the Football Show on Thursday morning between 09.00am and 11.00am, talking about his dark times.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2020, 11:47:57 AM »
I agree he is a good pundit.

Offline Russ aka Big Nose

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2020, 06:20:24 PM »
Like a fair few people, I've heard stories from back in the day about Lee Hendrie being a pissed-up dick out in town.

A few years back I played in a charity game at Villa Park - a Villa home team versus a Villa away team with a former player in each side. I was in the home side - notionally alongside Hendrie in midfield, though he was very fit (still playing non-league) and was all over the pitch.

He was brilliant with everyone. It struck me that he really enjoyed being involved in a team - clearly comfortable in a changing room surrounded by team-mates even if we were fans rather than fellow pros.

He was also very generous with his time afterwards in the bar/hospitality. I thought he was sincere and honest in how he answered questions in a group and one-to-one - including being asked about whether he was secretly a Blue-nose.

Even if someone is a complete arse, they don't deserve to struggle with mental health issues - in many instances there can be a link as how people are can be a manifestation of their wellbeing.

Lee struck me as a genuinely decent bloke. Happy birthday and good luck Lee.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2020, 08:28:07 PM »
I believe he lives not far from me, although I don't exactly know where. The first time I met him was in my local chippy on the day my son was born and I asked him to sign an autograph for him on a sheet of chip paper. Although I recall he did have to ask me how to spell 'Daniel'. His wife also kindly let me in front of her in our local One Stop once when she had a big basketful of stuff and I was just buying a newspaper. She had a couple of little kids in tow. I knew who she was from the four wheel drive outside the shop because they had a private plate that read something like 'HEN'. He also had a Villa related private number plate on his Porsche. The last time I saw him a while back was at the petrol station in Solihull town centre when he was filling up his white Mercedes. I had just got a new car and had pulled up at the wrong side of the pump and had to manoeuvre around to fill up, which amused him and we had a brief chat. I spoke to him once on a Talksport phone in and he remembered the petrol station incident. He is a nice guy.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 08:30:27 PM by Damo70 »

Offline Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2020, 09:11:31 PM »
What a candid interview that is. Always liked Lee Hendrie. Could've probably amounted to more, but you can say that about 90% of people including myself. Bottom line is he had a good career and played around 250 games for Villa and always gave his best, and added a bit of quality too. I'd have taken that! Glad he's turning things round. More power to him.

He's a good pundit.  Better than most I think but that might be because I'm biased.  I liked him as a player too even with all the baggage. He got some unmerciful stick on here, some of it justified I might add but I don't think people really knew what was going on in his head back then.

I'd agree with both of those but haven't seen that much of his punditry.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2020, 09:51:16 PM »
I don't know if this interview has been mentioned anywhere.
http://thebirminghampress.com/2020/05/england-international-previews-new-tv-series/

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2020, 10:22:59 PM »
I'm currently watching him in Harry's Heroes where he's revealed his struggle with depression.  The ads are on whilst I'm typing this so I'll save the video until later.  It's good to see him looking fit and well albeit still fragile of mind.  Keep going Lee.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2020, 11:10:03 PM »
He certainly should've played more for England. Was actually in really good form at start of 2001/02 season and plenty were putting him forward for a recall.

After that he flattered to deceive bar that flurry of weekly wonder goals in one of the O'Leary seasons. He was the sort of player who'd have thrived more in today's formations I think rather than being shoehorned into a 4-4-2 as was the case back then.

Certainly wish him well in post retirement like any other ex player who's struggled to adjust.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal