collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 09:59:18 AM]

FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:55:00 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:10:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Clampy
[Today at 10:01:36 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by PaulWinch again
[Today at 10:00:56 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Richard E
[Today at 10:00:37 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 09:59:18 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Lee Hendrie Guardian article  (Read 3392 times)

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: Lee Hendrie Guardian article
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2020, 12:29:49 AM »
I've mentioned it before but I think it's in Gerrard's autobiog where he talks about himself and Lampard watching Hendrie at England U 21's training and both looking at each other, thinking Hendrie was the best of the three. Hendrie under a manager with the ability to discipline and coax like Alex Ferguson would have been a top-tier player.

Offline supertom

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2020, 01:45:55 PM »
Hendrie was almost in the wrong era for his talents. We saw plenty of good stuff from him, but through most of his time here, bar a period under JG, he was very much in a 4.4.f.2 system and having to play wide. If he was on the left, able to cut in he found it more comfortable. I don't think he was that comfortable on the right (Barry played a lot on the left for a number of years) because maybe as a wide player in that era there's an onus to get your boots chalky and get down the line to deliver crosses.
People are falling over themselves to praise Maddison. Hendrie was potentially a great no8/10. But yeah, we saw a lot of great moments from him. He scored a good amount of goals and in his time was probably a little underappreciated. It might be that his antics held him back a little, but most seasons he was here and playing he tended to have hot periods where he looked the dogs bits. Again, I think playing so much on right mid, and not being a full back roasting pace merchant, you tended to see him in flashes during a game rather than a constant influence. Look at some of the footballing ability we've had, and we played great stuff in flashes with the likes of Lee, Merse, Angel, Barry, Nobby (also Carbone, Ginola, Hadji) we didn't always have the right approach to utilising a lot of our technical players as much as certain managers might have been getting at other clubs. Granted it's Brazil 1970 compared to our play now but we had too many games under Gregory in particular that were very dour, and pretty rigid. On the flipside, had Hendrie fulfilled all that potential, would have been snagged by Utd or the like after a couple of seasons?

I hope he's on the up with his mental health. I concur, he's one of the better pundits out there, seems a decent bloke on the whole too.

Offline Villa Lew

• GM : 16.08.2024
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2020, 10:34:58 PM »
Harry's Heroes, well done Lee scored the winner against The Germans, not many Englishmen can say that.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2020, 10:42:38 PM »
I've mentioned it before but I think it's in Gerrard's autobiog where he talks about himself and Lampard watching Hendrie at England U 21's training and both looking at each other, thinking Hendrie was the best of the three. Hendrie under a manager with the ability to discipline and coax like Alex Ferguson would have been a top-tier player.

With the best will in the asphalt world, I can't see Hendrie as a Fergie-era Man Utd player. Yes, there have been Darren Fletchers and Luke Chadwicks, but he'd never have bought him.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2020, 12:24:24 AM »
I always saw Hendrie as a poor man's Scholes.

BTW, I detested Scholes, gobby, violent thug!!

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2020, 11:52:34 AM »

With the best will in the asphalt world, I can't see Hendrie as a Fergie-era Man Utd player. Yes, there have been Darren Fletchers and Luke Chadwicks, but he'd never have bought him.
I think the point is that our merry go round of managers did not provide for developing nurturing talent.
Look at how many managers Jack has already been subject to.

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2020, 12:21:34 PM »

The ideal scenario is that Villa would have had that kind of manager in place to get the best out of Lee.  In that era we had the makings of a fantastic young team which, under a decent manager, could have achieved top four and silverware. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal