collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[Today at 08:40:29 PM]

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Forge10
[Today at 08:38:28 PM]

Re: Robin Olsen by ASHTONVILLA
[Today at 08:37:36 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 08:37:32 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Skerra
[Today at 08:35:57 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Skerra
[Today at 08:33:49 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by dave.woodhall
[Today at 08:33:32 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Goldenballs
[Today at 08:31:36 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Last Stand  (Read 8845 times)

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
Re: Last Stand
« Reply #60 on: May 16, 2020, 09:48:28 PM »
Superb Nev

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #61 on: May 17, 2020, 09:51:45 AM »
I've said it many times; if you prefer watching from behind the goal there's no better place in football than the first few rows of the Upper North Stand.

Oh there is Dave.

The back few rows of the same stand offer the same wonderful view, only they're about £100 cheaper over the season.

Online nodge

• GM : 23.02.2024
« Reply #62 on: May 17, 2020, 12:20:50 PM »
“ I have a real affection for the North Stand now as well, it's goalpost design, brutalist concrete is of it's time and I have found myself watching the majority of our games from there recently.”

Plus the fact we’ve watched us beat Small Heath about half a dozen times from up there.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #63 on: May 17, 2020, 02:24:15 PM »
I will never forgive Ellis for this.

This all day long and for a few extra bob that got us nowhere.

The old stand had to go because it looked lovely but wasn't suitable for the modern age. I don't know whether any significant part could have been saved but it was definitely said that the mosaic and gable were staying.

The design of the new one is perfectly fine and there's a lot to commend it but the overall finish was done on the cheap. A comparatively small amount extra could have made it something special.

Villa Park and Ibrox appear to fairly similar amongst the main UK grounds i.e. the four separate stands although the latter's home end isn't as well know as the Holte. However I am jealous that they retained their Main Stand in the way they did. So

1) Could the Trinity have been updated in a similar manner to their Main Stand or did the design preclude this? If so I suspect Lerner in his early years would have handled the update far more gracefully.
2) What happened to the Lion Rampant above the seats which to me symbolised Villa Park more than the gables?

I'm not a fan of the North Stand (structure or name) and would like to see a new stand with a similar exterior to the Holte there.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #64 on: May 17, 2020, 02:32:52 PM »
I will never forgive Ellis for this.

This all day long and for a few extra bob that got us nowhere.

The old stand had to go because it looked lovely but wasn't suitable for the modern age. I don't know whether any significant part could have been saved but it was definitely said that the mosaic and gable were staying.

The design of the new one is perfectly fine and there's a lot to commend it but the overall finish was done on the cheap. A comparatively small amount extra could have made it something special.

Villa Park and Ibrox appear to fairly similar amongst the main UK grounds i.e. the four separate stands although the latter's home end isn't as well know as the Holte. However I am jealous that they retained their Main Stand in the way they did. So

1) Could the Trinity have been updated in a similar manner to their Main Stand or did the design preclude this? If so I suspect Lerner in his early years would have handled the update far more gracefully.
2) What happened to the Lion Rampant above the seats which to me symbolised Villa Park more than the gables?

I'm not a fan of the North Stand (structure or name) and would like to see a new stand with a similar exterior to the Holte there.

Simon Inglis - who should know more about it than anyone else - once told me that we couldn't do what Rangers did for some reason that I've long forgotten. It might have been connected with the space they had available for expansion. The Lion Rampant went the same way as the stained glass, the mosaic and all the other sundries we were assured would be saved - into thousands of pieces.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2020, 02:40:05 PM »
Simon Inglis - who should know more about it than anyone else - once told me that we couldn't do what Rangers did for some reason that I've long forgotten. It might have been connected with the space they had available for expansion. The Lion Rampant went the same way as the stained glass, the mosaic and all the other sundries we were assured would be saved - into thousands of pieces.

Thanks for that Dave, it's at least some consolation that it would have had to be replaced eventually even if it could have done much better.

Shame about the Lion Rampant as surely that (or a version thereof) could have been incorporated into the new stand.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2020, 02:49:40 PM »

Thanks for that Dave, it's at least some consolation that it would have had to be replaced eventually even if it could have done much better.

Shame about the Lion Rampant as surely that (or a version thereof) could have been incorporated into the new stand.

I was also told that for the whole stand it as a case of knock down before it falls down, and you might want to think about whether it was being properly maintained before then.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #67 on: May 17, 2020, 04:37:10 PM »

I was also told that for the whole stand it as a case of knock down before it falls down, and you might want to think about whether it was being properly maintained before then.

Weren't there rumours in about 1996 that the Trinity Road Stand was about to get a new tier added on top of the existing stand? I seem to remember it being mentioned that there would be reduced capacity while the work was done. I may be thinking of another stand but I am 90% certain this was in relation to the old Trinity.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #68 on: May 17, 2020, 08:59:45 PM »

Weren't there rumours in about 1996 that the Trinity Road Stand was about to get a new tier added on top of the existing stand? I seem to remember it being mentioned that there would be reduced capacity while the work was done. I may be thinking of another stand but I am 90% certain this was in relation to the old Trinity.

Yes I think that was the original plan in mid 90s I think. A few weeks back I was flicking through a book of old programmes from 96/97 which I purchased at Villa Village about 15 years ago (there's a 12 year old Gary Cahill pictured as a guest at one of the games!). I remember coming across some talk of this but apparently Birmingham city council had refused planning permission at that time. Will have a look in a bit.

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #69 on: May 17, 2020, 11:06:18 PM »
I think an extra tier on top of the Trinity was a non starter as an engineering project for numerous reasons. Lack of space being one of them. Also from memory wasn't the upper tier entirely made of wood? If so after the fire at Bradford it's days were numbered. But i do think some of the features could of been saved especially the red brick staircase outside. It's too late now thanks to Doug and while the exterior is a bit B&Q warehouse it's pretty impressive on the inside. But for me the North Stand with it's ugly brutalist exterior horribly cramped interior and inadequate capacity of 7,500 has to go.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 08:19:50 AM by The Edge »

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #70 on: May 18, 2020, 08:28:13 AM »
“ I have a real affection for the North Stand now as well, it's goalpost design, brutalist concrete is of it's time and I have found myself watching the majority of our games from there recently.”

Plus the fact we’ve watched us beat Small Heath about half a dozen times from up there.

Yep, that does help.

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #71 on: May 18, 2020, 09:33:13 AM »
Simon Inglis article.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2000/may/14/newsstory.sport8

"Dennis Swain, the new stand's architect, insists that Villa will salvage as much as they can from the old building; the mosaics and the distinctive roof gable in particular..."
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 09:38:16 AM by aev »

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2020, 11:26:19 AM »
Simon Inglis article.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2000/may/14/newsstory.sport8

"Dennis Swain, the new stand's architect, insists that Villa will salvage as much as they can from the old building; the mosaics and the distinctive roof gable in particular..."
It's criminal what happened to it

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #73 on: May 18, 2020, 12:17:18 PM »
At it happens, 'Sightlines' which is advertised as his new book at the bottom of the page is a good read.

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #74 on: May 18, 2020, 12:21:40 PM »
At it happens, 'Sightlines' which is advertised as his new book at the bottom of the page is a good read.

Yep it is. I also have  (somewhere) Played in Birmingham which is also really good.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal