collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The rapid decline of the 92/93 team  (Read 31114 times)

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
Re: The rapid decline of the 92/93 team
« Reply #270 on: May 15, 2020, 09:56:00 AM »
We just didn't turn up for that 1990 quarter final at Oldham that night. It was a pathetic display (I deliberately didn't use the word performance because we didn't perform whatsoever). The car load of us who travelled left before the end, which was very rare for us.

At Anfield in 1992 we put in a good performance but the ref P.Don gave every decision to Liverpool and gave us f*ck all. That should have been our year with second division Portsmouth and second division Sunderland waiting for us in the semi and the final.

We should have at least got them back to Villa Park. It was a missed opportunity because that Liverpool side was shite, well shite for them anyway.

After beating us in the QF Liverpool were lucky to scrape a draw with Portsmouth at Highbury in the semi. They then only scraped through on penalties in the replay at Villa Park. If I remember right it was a crap penalty shoot out with more pens missed than scored.

It was, I seem to recall John Beresford missing Portsmouth crucial penalty. Why in God's name I can remember that and not my sisters birthday I'll never know.

Offline Fred Crump

« Reply #271 on: May 15, 2020, 10:49:40 AM »
John Beresford- I’d forgotten he used to play for Portsmouth. I remember him from his Geordie Barcode days when to be fair , he used to be quite good. Piece of irrelevant information - his son used to play in the Scunthorpe United Youth / Reserve Team with my lad. Bez junior wasn’t as talented as his Dad , needless to say.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #272 on: May 15, 2020, 11:14:35 AM »
He was a decent player, that Pompey side also had the young Darren Anderton, who despite being known generally for his injuries was actually a bloody decent player.

As an aside, I had a mate who's dad was a decent full back, Ray Wilson who played for the Stripeys in the 70's, and he was shit as well.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #273 on: May 15, 2020, 01:45:12 PM »
We just didn't turn up for that 1990 quarter final at Oldham that night. It was a pathetic display (I deliberately didn't use the word performance because we didn't perform whatsoever). The car load of us who travelled left before the end, which was very rare for us.

At Anfield in 1992 we put in a good performance but the ref P.Don gave every decision to Liverpool and gave us f*ck all. That should have been our year with second division Portsmouth and second division Sunderland waiting for us in the semi and the final.

Yeah I ignored that one due to it being Liverpool and them having the hex over us for most of the 90s. 1996 was just bad timing with the league cup final being much later in the season in those times.

Just amuses me every January we get people flipping their nut on here when we lose in the third round yet in the 80s and 90s when we were pretty good and it was generally easier to reach the final than it is now we were nowhere.

The MON years were maybe missed opportunities aswell but then we kept on getting Man. United in the third round which didn't really help.

One other that sticks in my mind was Coventry at home in 1998. They really should've beaten us 5-0, we were that bad and Bosnich was that good on the day. After that game Coventry lost to Sheffield United on penalties in the quarters.

That was the end really for Sir Brian although he stayed on for two more league games after which we also lost.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 01:49:42 PM by SoccerHQ »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal