collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: The rapid decline of the 92/93 team  (Read 31453 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: The rapid decline of the 92/93 team
« Reply #195 on: April 17, 2020, 02:02:02 PM »

Wasn't it tough guy Ryan Giggs that did him at OT? I cant remember for sure, even though I was there!

It was. My claim to fame was that I was on Match Of The Day that evening - for some reason the cameras panned right in in on me while I was clapping as Fashanu was carried off after Giggs had "done him".

I had no idea until i got home and found loads of messages on my answerphone (one of those old machines with a tape recorder fitted to capture messages). Good job I'd recorded MOTD ( on one of those old video machines). 

4.42, hey it's Chico time!

It was a nothing clash between the two. Didn't Fash get sued by Gary Mabbutt around that time (then had another day in court with Hans Sagers and Grobbalaer a few years later).

We were actually in really good form around that match, 5 wins from 6 games and 7-1 at home to Wimbledon happened a week later.

Seems in true Villa fashion that traumatic 4-4 at home to Leicester completely messed us up.  We failed to score in 7 of our final 11 games.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #196 on: April 17, 2020, 02:44:36 PM »
4 mins and 44 seconds. Fella with cropped hair and a fag in his mouth. I was a 20 a day man back the

Offline Damo70

« Reply #197 on: April 17, 2020, 02:55:28 PM »

Wasn't it tough guy Ryan Giggs that did him at OT? I cant remember for sure, even though I was there!

It was. My claim to fame was that I was on Match Of The Day that evening - for some reason the cameras panned right in in on me while I was clapping as Fashanu was carried off after Giggs had "done him".

I had no idea until i got home and found loads of messages on my answerphone (one of those old machines with a tape recorder fitted to capture messages). Good job I'd recorded MOTD ( on one of those old video machines).

I have got an old videotape somewhere of me 'giving it the big un' on SKY after we beat Spurs with a Dwight Yorke goal in the FA Cup in 1992 at White Hart Lane. The camera stayed on me for quite a while whilst Dave Bassett was summing up the game. You could clearly see me as the away end was relatively sparse around me. I wasn't aware of being on camera until a bluenose workmate told me the next day. He was drinking in the Mackadown Social with his mates, one of whom said "Whose that Villa twat"? My workmate Steve replied "I work with him"!

Offline Villan82

« Reply #198 on: April 19, 2020, 11:42:15 AM »
I was trying to see if there was a discussion on here about Villa's Greatest  player of All Time?

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #199 on: April 20, 2020, 10:52:26 AM »
I was trying to see if there was a discussion on here about Villa's Greatest  player of All Time?

It was very short, started at "Paul..." and ended at "McGrath"

Offline Villan82

« Reply #200 on: April 21, 2020, 12:47:19 PM »

It was very short, started at "Paul..." and ended at "McGrath"

I agree on McGrath, I was just wondering if fans who remember earlier eras agree.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #201 on: April 21, 2020, 12:49:48 PM »
There are two possible answers. Paul McGrath, and the wrong answer.

Offline Simon Page

« Reply #202 on: April 21, 2020, 01:12:38 PM »
Sid and he who shall be called Brian have a call on this. Shaw would have done but for injury and Dwight Yorke was simply brilliant.

Older fans would surely stick Hitchens, Blanchflower and McParland in similar circles. Go back further and you can pick from a dozen or more.

Online LeeB

« Reply #203 on: April 21, 2020, 01:58:11 PM »
Sid and he who shall be called Brian have a call on this. Shaw would have done but for injury and Dwight Yorke was simply brilliant.

Older fans would surely stick Hitchens, Blanchflower and McParland in similar circles. Go back further and you can pick from a dozen or more.

You are of course correct, and Sid is my all time personal favourite, but there was something almost ethereal about the way McGrath played, and when you take into account his personal struggles it seems impossible that a mere mortal could be so consistently brilliant.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #204 on: April 21, 2020, 02:23:09 PM »
McGrath made it look so simple. He was always so calm under pressure and could, without fuss, execute a little flick/touch to control a ball when he was under pressure.

What do we think was McGrath's best villa game? Didn't he play the '94 League cup final with a shoulder injury?

Online LeeB

« Reply #205 on: April 21, 2020, 02:33:03 PM »
McGrath made it look so simple. He was always so calm under pressure and could, without fuss, execute a little flick/touch to control a ball when he was under pressure.

What do we think was McGrath's best villa game? Didn't he play the '94 League cup final with a shoulder injury?

It's really hard to pick one that was so much better than all of the others, but the day he won the PFA award in 93 and he scored the winner away at Forest (when we were still well in the title race) lives long in the memory. We were directly in line with the path of the ball from his head to the net, a wonderful towering header, bulleted into the bottom corner.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #206 on: April 21, 2020, 02:35:16 PM »
Here you go mate, great day out that was.

https://m.facebook.com/avfcofficial/videos/1800434286667299/

Online LeeB

« Reply #207 on: April 21, 2020, 02:43:56 PM »
Here you go mate, great day out that was.

https://m.facebook.com/avfcofficial/videos/1800434286667299/

I've just watched that about 10 times in a row, on my work laptop with my headphones on full blast. Tremendous work, thanks pal.

Was a great day too, up the A42 in my brothers 1972 mini, playing Led Zeppelin as it was all we could hear over the engine. Seem to remember watching some of Arsenal v Spurs semi in the pub, when Gascoigne scored that mad free kick.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2020, 02:46:51 PM by LeeB »

Offline Villan82

« Reply #208 on: April 21, 2020, 04:43:08 PM »
Such a shame we didn't win that league. Those last 3-4 games...

Offline Damo70

« Reply #209 on: April 21, 2020, 06:43:39 PM »

He was in a lot of pain with his shoulder in the '94 final and apparently had barely slept the night before. I think it was diagnosed as a 'muscle virus'. He was still struggling with the injury when he put in a world class performance for Ireland against Italy in the '94 World Cup. I think his shoulder was pretty much paralysed in both games which must have affected his balance.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal