collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Your all time, ultimate shit Aston Villa line up  (Read 24360 times)

Offline Dick Edwards

Re: Your all time, ultimate shit Aston Villa line up
« Reply #45 on: April 05, 2020, 10:37:02 AM »
Enkelman is a harsh inclusion in peoples teams. Judgement is clouded unfortunately by that horror show at The Sty. Overall though he was much better than that. In fact he pretty much kept us in the Premier League one season.

Online tricky59

« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2020, 11:53:46 AM »
I was unfortunate enough to have witnessed one of the few appearances in the early 60's of Fred Potter in goal. We have had many in the utter dross category but for me he is by far the worst.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2020, 12:01:03 PM »

Gabor Kiraly
Habib Beye
Aly Cissokho
Joleon Lescott
Paul Elliott
Kieran Richardson
Sasa Curcic
Alex Tonev
Simon Dawkins
Rudy Gestede
Jordan Bowery

Subs: McCormack, Postma, Richards, Djemba-Djemba, Crespo, N'Zogbia, Hogan

Manager: Eric Black

I saw Sasa Curcic play a couple of good games for us (at Villa Park against Leeds & Forest I think). I thought he was going to be great for us but I think he quickly went downhill and seemed a bit crazy.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #48 on: April 05, 2020, 12:08:27 PM »
Enkelman is a harsh inclusion in peoples teams. Judgement is clouded unfortunately by that horror show at The Sty. Overall though he was much better than that. In fact he pretty much kept us in the Premier League one season.

I was at the sty for his howler but didn't actually see it until I got home and watched SKY as I had momentarily lost concentration on the game and was tying my laces as I thought the ball had gone dead. I looked up when I heard the commotion caused by the goal and ad to listen to the comments around me to piece together what had happened. He made a mistake in the return game at Villa Park too and I seem to recall him making a howler (a mix up with Alpay I think) against Southampton that ended in a goal. The problem being all three of those games went out live on SKY.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #49 on: April 05, 2020, 12:16:10 PM »
Stop advertising Sky!

Offline Damo70

« Reply #50 on: April 05, 2020, 12:16:30 PM »
Cascarino. Objectively better than some of the players we’ve had recently. But in the context of the time, worse than useless.

Although he didn't score until the last couple of games when the title was already lost I remember Shilton making a great save  from him on his debut at Derby and he set up the winning goal for Chris Price at Highbury and I think he set up a winning goal for Sid at home to Chelsea. Plus his two vital goals in the relegation six pointer at Roker Park the next season and his goal at The Holte around the same time against Derby in another relegation six pointer (even though I think he only scuffed it in from about six inches). I also remember him flashing a header wide in the San Siro too which would have put us 1-0 up.

Offline garyshawsknee

• GM : 03.06.2020
« Reply #51 on: April 05, 2020, 12:16:45 PM »

Gabor Kiraly
Habib Beye
Aly Cissokho
Joleon Lescott
Paul Elliott
Kieran Richardson
Sasa Curcic
Alex Tonev
Simon Dawkins
Rudy Gestede
Jordan Bowery

Subs: McCormack, Postma, Richards, Djemba-Djemba, Crespo, N'Zogbia, Hogan

Manager: Eric Black

I saw Sasa Curcic play a couple of good games for us (at Villa Park against Leeds & Forest I think). I thought he was going to be great for us but I think he quickly went downhill and seemed a bit crazy.

Leeds and Derby I think. After the Leeds game I very naively said to my old Man, he could be like Cantona for us. Not my greatest moment.

Online TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #52 on: April 05, 2020, 12:17:50 PM »
Isn't the name Paul Mortimer usually rolled out on threads such as this?

Offline Damo70

« Reply #53 on: April 05, 2020, 12:20:20 PM »
I know Stainrod was a lazy sod but he did get 20 odd goals in one season, to keep us up. If memory serves.

That said, we really had some utter gash.

Aside from scoring four on his debut at Exeter his finest moment was recreating the famous Ernie Hunt/Willie Carr donkey free kick goal with Steve Hunt in a 2-0 win over Leicester at Villa Park.

Offline garyshawsknee

« Reply #54 on: April 05, 2020, 12:22:14 PM »

Kiraly
Beye
Lescott
Richards
Gallagher
Callaghan
Curcic
Kinsella
Mortimer
Balaban
Cascarino

Subs; Cissoko, Bowery, Djemba Djemba, Heath, Given, Tiler, Penrice

Graeme Turner

Offline garyshawsknee

« Reply #55 on: April 05, 2020, 12:22:55 PM »

He's made my XI.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #56 on: April 05, 2020, 12:26:36 PM »
Can’t see anyone voting for Warren Aspinall yet, he was dire. Others include Paul Kerr, Dean Glover, Steve Sims, Mark Lillis.

Kerr and Glover were two poor players in a poor Graham Turner team. They made a living in the second tier eventually. Steve Sims and mark Lillis were two experienced players brought in by SGT because we were woefully short on players and Blair and Evans were suffering from long term injuries when he took over. To be fair to Aspinall I think he was our top scorer in the promotion season and scored a vital winner against Shrewsbury in our penultimate home game.

Offline Damo70

« Reply #57 on: April 05, 2020, 12:28:15 PM »

I think for the likes of Paul Mortimer we need a 'blink and you missed them' thread. We have had a number of candidates for that category over the years.

Offline garyshawsknee

« Reply #58 on: April 05, 2020, 12:29:27 PM »

I think for the likes of Paul Mortimer we need a 'blink and you missed them' thread. We have had a number of candidates for that category over the years.

Steve Foster says hello !!

Offline Damo70

« Reply #59 on: April 05, 2020, 12:35:21 PM »

Billy McNeil

I could go back to our really dark days but I don't think it's fair to compare players I thought were hopeless in the late 1960s to those in more recent times. In fact I'm only going to list the worst six players I've ever seen in a Villa shirt in the last 40 years:

G Kiraly
B Gallacher
J Bennett
S Foster
A Tonev
R Gestede

All utterly hopeless excuses for footballers. Foster actually had a good career and won England caps until he came to Villa but he was consistently awful for us.

I was at Steve Foster's debut at Filbert Street and then his home debut against Manure (the Manure fans were  taunting him about missing the FA Cup final against them through suspension and then returning for the battering in the replay) They sang "Stevie Foster what a difference you made". I would dispute the fact he was consistantly awful for us. For a start he only played fifteen games and as a striker converted to defence he scored twice for us in those fifteen games.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal