collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 12:01:31 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 746624 times)

Offline clash city rocker

Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?
« Reply #5640 on: January 15, 2021, 12:14:01 PM »
It doesn't sound like anybody has actually been ill with it. They've been training in their gardens and gyms, running drills.

Is it with fit individuals like these that it is like having flu that they recover  from quite quickly apart from maybe the odd individual ? Or is it a case that we just dont know yet.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #5641 on: January 15, 2021, 12:18:31 PM »
It doesn't sound like anybody has actually been ill with it. They've been training in their gardens and gyms, running drills.

Is it with fit individuals like these that it is like having flu that they recover  from quite quickly apart from maybe the odd individual ? Or is it a case that we just dont know yet.

As soon as we get back to Bodymoor I imagine they'll be doing all the tests you can to assess endurance and intensity levels and if there's any siginificant drop off compared to normal levels.

One thing that's really impressed me this season is how strongly we've finished many games, a few last minute winners etc and that's something you rarely saw with even good Villa teams in the past so we might struggle to replicate that in the next few games.

Online Lsvilla

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #5642 on: January 15, 2021, 12:55:07 PM »

As soon as we get back to Bodymoor I imagine they'll be doing all the tests you can to assess endurance and intensity levels and if there's any siginificant drop off compared to normal levels.

One thing that's really impressed me this season is how strongly we've finished many games, a few last minute winners etc and that's something you rarely saw with even good Villa teams in the past so we might struggle to replicate that in the next few games.
I agree about how well we’ve finished games but I think more than that we’ve played with a good tempo in most matches so far compared to some of the guff turned out (eg: Ars/Palace last night). Everyone raves about Leeds but we’ve been pretty good at injecting and keeping pace levels high in games.

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #5643 on: January 15, 2021, 01:22:01 PM »
You have to have a different level of fitness to play how Dean wants us to play with a high press on top of the ball than the sit in & defend mentality of Bruce. 

Assuming we play next Wednesday it will be the most intriguing team selection for a long time as they will have had a maximum of 3 days training presuming that Sunday is a training day not just a testing day?  Think we will be very lucky if all 9 who tested positive are fit to play & even if they are Dean might opt to rotate a little?  Maybe a couple of the youngsters who played vs Liverpool or the ones who missed out through training with 1st team might find a seat on the bench?

Offline hipkiss92

« Reply #5644 on: January 15, 2021, 02:23:56 PM »

Could be that they were all asymptomatic. That everyone turned up to training as normal and they only closed it after the tests came through suggests that could be the case, with no one displaying symptoms.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #5645 on: January 15, 2021, 02:42:50 PM »

I don't think it will be as obvious in the next few games as you might think. The fitness coaches will have had them continuing good fitness work and doing zoom sessions with them. If anything, I think they'll be fresh and desperate to re-start. I'm more interested to see if there are any tactical changes as I imagine Smith and the coaches will have done the same as what they did in the first lockdown.

Offline Gerrin

« Reply #5646 on: January 15, 2021, 02:44:07 PM »

Could be that they were all asymptomatic. That everyone turned up to training as normal and they only closed it after the tests came through suggests that could be the case, with no one displaying symptoms.

I'm assuming they must've been asymptomatic at the point of testing, as if they were displaying symptom I guess they shouldn't have even been at the training ground. That not to say they symptoms didn't subsequently kick in for all or some of them. I know people that have had it and it totally wiped them out and took them quite a while to fully recover. Fingers crossed our players haven't had it too bad, otherwise it good have very serious affect on our season.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #5647 on: January 15, 2021, 06:31:21 PM »

We just don't know yet. I've read of marathon runners that after can't make down to the shops without being out of breath. Long haul is a major concern for anybody that's been infected.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #5648 on: January 15, 2021, 06:59:58 PM »
We just don't know yet. I've read of marathon runners that after can't make down to the shops without being out of breath. Long haul is a major concern for anybody that's been infected.

To be fair if I'd just run a marathon I wouldn't be able to make it down the shops either.

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #5649 on: January 15, 2021, 07:52:35 PM »

Ohio State study: 30% of student athletes have heart damage linked to COVID-19
and
Texas Trauma Surgeon Says ‘Post-COVID Lungs Look Worse Than Any Type Of Terrible Smokers Lung We’ve Ever Seen’

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #5650 on: January 15, 2021, 07:53:55 PM »
The kids (and Lansbury) are playing Albion at Bodymoor Heath, is it back open?

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #5651 on: January 15, 2021, 09:09:01 PM »
The kids (and Lansbury) are playing Albion at Bodymoor Heath, is it back open?

There's 2 answers here, yes it is, there were some people on site yesterday apparently but more importantly the academy is a few hundred yards down the road and never closed, that's where they'll have been playing.

Offline LukeJames

« Reply #5652 on: January 15, 2021, 09:28:11 PM »
Aaaagh got ya.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #5653 on: January 17, 2021, 11:27:47 AM »
So is everyone back at BMH today. I’m assuming the tenth isolation day was yesterday, so as long as they’re healthy, they should be in?

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #5654 on: January 17, 2021, 11:49:36 AM »
So is everyone back at BMH today. I’m assuming the tenth isolation day was yesterday, so as long as they’re healthy, they should be in?

Yes, according to the Sunday papers.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal