collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 746759 times)

Offline sid1964

Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?
« Reply #1905 on: April 09, 2020, 12:15:41 PM »
So if most companies start back to work during May / June - do you have the right as an employee to refuse to go back to work for fear of catching the virus? if you do then what would happen to you - could you be sacked - have to go off sick and receive SSP only

Online Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #1906 on: April 09, 2020, 12:32:14 PM »
So if most companies start back to work during May / June - do you have the right as an employee to refuse to go back to work for fear of catching the virus? if you do then what would happen to you - could you be sacked - have to go off sick and receive SSP only

the question is probably best put in the main Corona thread rather the Football specific one. I suspect it would depend on the government guidelines still. If you haven't had it, there is still no cures but are one of the ones specifically at very High Risk, then I'm sure the company will need to ensure some level of care and caution. However there are still all sorts of new concerns and "new norms" to be decided for the foreseeable as now the disease is out there, we don't know what new mutations will bring and if/ when a cure/vaccine will be available.

If it is like smallpox and you can only catch it once, then in 10 years time it will be like nothing as happened, conspiracy theorists and anti vaxxers will be out in force and kids will get a shot called something like MMR-Covid. However if it is like flu /colds and we have "seasons" and various versions each year, then it will be turned into that, society will "cope" with the additional deaths and we will be at that "normal".

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #1907 on: April 09, 2020, 12:54:18 PM »
If they are planning on going back to work, opening shopping centres etc then I see no difference with having crowds at football matches.  Realistically, you won't come in contact with 40,000 others at a game - You'd only come in contact with the same amount of people as you would if you visited a shopping centre.

More likely, a ban on public gatherings would remain in order to limit the spread to a minimum.

Offline frank black

« Reply #1908 on: April 09, 2020, 01:55:07 PM »
If they are planning on going back to work, opening shopping centres etc then I see no difference with having crowds at football matches.  Realistically, you won't come in contact with 40,000 others at a game - You'd only come in contact with the same amount of people as you would if you visited a shopping centre.

More likely, a ban on public gatherings would remain in order to limit the spread to a minimum.

I think being crammed into a football stadium is a big difference to a supermarket that will employ social distancing.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #1909 on: April 09, 2020, 02:02:40 PM »

Unless you were actually ill or following Government guidance that you should self-isolate you would not be entitled to SSP.

It is automatic unfair dismissal to dismiss someone if the reason or principal reason is that "...in circumstances of danger which the employee reasonably believed to be serious and imminent and which he could not reasonably have been expected to avert, he...(while the danger persisted) refused to return to his place of work."

This would potentially make it unfair for an employer to dismiss someone in the circumstances your described but it is a moot point until this reaches Tribunals. If the Government is no longer advising against attending work and if the employer was taking suitable precautions it is questionable whether the employee could say that their belief that there was a serious and imminent danger was reasonable.   

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #1910 on: April 09, 2020, 02:25:18 PM »

I think being crammed into a football stadium is a big difference to a supermarket that will employ social distancing.

Yeah - I was on about shopping centres with multiple shops, coffee shops, etc.  You would assume they would re-open when people start back to work.

Offline frank black

« Reply #1911 on: April 09, 2020, 02:34:29 PM »

Yeah - I was on about shopping centres with multiple shops, coffee shops, etc.  You would assume they would re-open when people start back to work.

They will probably restrict numbers allowed into shopping centres. This is part of the so called exit strategy, which they’ve yet to agree what it looks like. No doubt it was easier to lockdown than it will be to reopen everything.

Offline exiled on the wirral!

« Reply #1912 on: April 09, 2020, 04:04:59 PM »

I take it, you haven't been in the North Stand Upper at Half Time then?

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1913 on: April 09, 2020, 04:17:07 PM »

The thing is, you don't go to the shops and park yourself potentially right next to a virus carrier for an hour and a half.

Online Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1914 on: April 09, 2020, 04:40:21 PM »
Keep safe yourself, Vil I An.
UTV!

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #1915 on: April 09, 2020, 05:02:34 PM »

Not for about 40 years, no.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1916 on: April 09, 2020, 06:25:32 PM »
The FA Council has today ratified the decision to conclude the 2019-20 season across Steps 3-7 of the National League System, Tiers 3 to 7 of the women’s football pyramid and the wider grassroots game.

Since the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic, we have been working collaboratively with the leagues within the National League System, the Women’s Football Board, the Women’s Football Conference and the wider grassroots game to identify the most appropriate way to conclude the 2019-20 season at each level.

The request to end the 2019-20 season was taken to the FA Council by the representatives of the relevant committees having been fully supported by the FA Board.

The FA Council’s vote today was overwhelmingly in favour of ratifying the decision.

http://www.thefa.com/news/2020/apr/09/fa-council-statement-090420

Offline Towser

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #1917 on: April 09, 2020, 06:52:05 PM »
Keep safe yourself, Vil I An.
UTV!

And your good self ! Stay safe.

One more from me :
#playerstogether
Premier League stars across the country at all different clubs have come together to set up an initiative called 'Players Together', which will help the NHS in the fight against the coronavirus pandemic.

The Aston Villa players who have publically stated they are part of the premier league players initiative to pledge millions of pounds to support the NHS are

Eni Aluko Aston Villa women's sporting director.
Tyrone Mings
Tom Heaton
Ezri Konsa
John McGinn
Trezeguet

Applause to them. It's appreciated that players across clubs are backing this.
I guess Grealish is keeping low just because he doesn't want to look more stupid and hasn't been reported as yet but I like to think our captain is donating part of his money  to the cause .
Up the villa . And great to see players at our club and other premier league players giving at this time

Jack has Posted the #Playerstogether graphic, along with McGinn, Mings, Heaton, Konza, Trez, Riena, Jota, Elghazi, Wesley, Nakamba, Hause, Nyland, Hourihane, Davis, Drinkwater, Elmo, these are just the ones I have seen

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1918 on: April 09, 2020, 06:53:27 PM »
"With these challenges in mind, the consensus reached by the FA through relevant committees comprised of league representatives, was to bring the 2019-20 season to an immediate end with no promotion or relegation. It means clubs, players, volunteers and supporters are provided with certainty and allows focus to turn to preparing for the 2020-21 season."

Good, good.  Now same for top 3 leagues would be just perfect.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #1919 on: April 09, 2020, 06:53:39 PM »
The FA Council has today ratified the decision to conclude the 2019-20 season across Steps 3-7 of the National League System, Tiers 3 to 7 of the women’s football pyramid and the wider grassroots game.

Since the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic, we have been working collaboratively with the leagues within the National League System, the Women’s Football Board, the Women’s Football Conference and the wider grassroots game to identify the most appropriate way to conclude the 2019-20 season at each level.

The request to end the 2019-20 season was taken to the FA Council by the representatives of the relevant committees having been fully supported by the FA Board.

The FA Council’s vote today was overwhelmingly in favour of ratifying the decision.

http://www.thefa.com/news/2020/apr/09/fa-council-statement-090420

If you've got a pyramid league structure then surely what's good at one end has to be good at the other.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal