collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 09:23:09 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:19:21 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by ChicagoLion
[Today at 09:15:25 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:14:59 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ads
[Today at 09:06:45 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Chris Harte
[Today at 09:05:25 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 09:03:14 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by GordonCowansisthegreatest
[Today at 08:59:33 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 746870 times)

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?
« Reply #1740 on: April 06, 2020, 09:16:57 AM »
I believe Richard E.

He's a lawyer. We're led to.

Offline in exile

• GM : 22.07.2022
« Reply #1741 on: April 06, 2020, 09:17:53 AM »
Not been at all well so not been checking on news etc...didn't know that about Burnley

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1742 on: April 06, 2020, 09:48:53 AM »
Burnley will not be the only ones, if clubs have no revenue how can the pay player wages?
FFP will become irrelevant, it will be about survival unless the clubs owners are prepared / able to finance massive losses.
The most significant outflow and the major cause of the Loss is player wages, the next is payment of transfer fees.
As I said before, at some point the PFA will have to realize that the money to pay the players wages does not exist.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 10:01:46 AM by ChicagoLion »

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1743 on: April 06, 2020, 09:56:06 AM »
I kind of get the PFA's angle though.

Obviously their primary concern is to their members - they're a union after all. But any pay cut just results in the UK government and the players paying money back to the clubs. What that's got to do with Matt Hancock I don't know.

The only way a pay cut makes sense, is if it's linked to a commitment from the clubs involved that they won't use the furlough scheme.

The other issue here is FFP. If clubs just carry on paying everyone in full with zero income coming in, even if the owners pay for it all, you'll see more potential breaches of FFP unless they change the rules.

They'll have to change the rules.  This is going to affect every single club in the country.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1744 on: April 06, 2020, 10:05:59 AM »
Not been at all well so not been checking on news etc...didn't know that about Burnley

We should take the opportunity to bring Ashley back home.

Offline BoVillan esq

« Reply #1745 on: April 06, 2020, 10:08:06 AM »
Burnley will not be the only ones, if clubs have no revenue how can the pay player wages?
FFP will become irrelevant, it will be about survival unless the clubs owners are prepared / able to finance massive losses.
The most significant outflow and the major cause of the Loss is player wages, the next is payment of transfer fees.
As I said before, at some point the PFA will have to realize that the money to pay the players wages does not exist.

Exactly right, as time passes, less and less money, its a kind of mini economy, same with the economy as a whole, with so many laid off, government covering peoples wages, can't be done forever, its not a bottomless pit, club owners will only keep financing this if they feel there is an end in sight.

Smaller clubs, even in the Premiership could just fall away as a kind of natural process.

Offline Dominic22

« Reply #1746 on: April 06, 2020, 11:17:52 AM »
Reading the news this morning, the PR machine is starting work to sell an early June return with behind closed doors games.  Wait for the in the national good planted articles coming to a site near you soon...

I will be out for good if this is rushed through with all the suffering that is happening. A June return after no games or training for 2 months means they will have to be training in early May at the latest and I suspect they will want all the games complete within 4 weeks. All these arguments about games every few days does not create a good product is now out the window it seems.

All clubs have to be careful as if someone like me who has spent most of his life following the club up and down the country can question going again I suspect there are those less committed who will put up with less.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #1747 on: April 06, 2020, 11:36:19 AM »
So if Burnley go into administration before the PL's desired recommecement, they'll presumably get the points deduction?

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #1748 on: April 06, 2020, 11:55:49 AM »
Reading the news this morning, the PR machine is starting work to sell an early June return with behind closed doors games.  Wait for the in the national good planted articles coming to a site near you soon...

I will be out for good if this is rushed through with all the suffering that is happening. A June return after no games or training for 2 months means they will have to be training in early May at the latest and I suspect they will want all the games complete within 4 weeks. All these arguments about games every few days does not create a good product is now out the window it seems.

All clubs have to be careful as if someone like me who has spent most of his life following the club up and down the country can question going again I suspect there are those less committed who will put up with less.

That's where I'm at.

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #1749 on: April 06, 2020, 12:00:03 PM »

That's where I'm at.

Me too.

“FIFA will confirm an indefinite extension to the 2019/20 season. The dates of the summer transfer window will be altered and permission to extend player contracts which expiring on June 30 will be given.” [the athletic]

Offline Dick Edwards

« Reply #1750 on: April 06, 2020, 12:04:51 PM »
While I think Premier League footballers are obscenely overpaid, if the season does get completed in June and July as mooted, why should the players have to take a paycut? Unless the season is abandoned they'll still be playing the games they were contracted to, albeit a little later.

Offline Towser

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #1751 on: April 06, 2020, 12:04:59 PM »

Me too, in fact Villa can keep the cash from my season ticket for games played behind closed doors and put it in a pot towards the non playing staff wages.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #1752 on: April 06, 2020, 12:23:21 PM »
I kind of get the PFA's angle though.

Obviously their primary concern is to their members - they're a union after all. But any pay cut just results in the UK government and the players paying money back to the clubs. What that's got to do with Matt Hancock I don't know.

The only way a pay cut makes sense, is if it's linked to a commitment from the clubs involved that they won't use the furlough scheme.

The other issue here is FFP. If clubs just carry on paying everyone in full with zero income coming in, even if the owners pay for it all, you'll see more potential breaches of FFP unless they change the rules.

They'll have to change the rules.  This is going to affect every single club in the country.

You'd hope so wouldn't you.

But I'm way past the point where I'm surprised at the stupidity of decisions the football authorities make.  Especially when the only clubs who might not have an FFP issue with this are the ones FFP was invented to protect.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1753 on: April 06, 2020, 12:53:22 PM »
‘Behind closed doors’ is just utter bollocks and bullshit.
To my reckoning, this option still includes:-
2 squads of at least 20 players each.
Managers and coaches
Medical staff.
Match officials
Premier league officials
Stadium staff - obviously a reduced number but some required all the same.
Ground staff.
TV technicans
Cameramen
Commentators
Emergency services ?

Then there is the travel that all these people need to carry out.

I reckon that could be at least 100 - 150 people to put on a behind closed doors match.
Multiply that by the 9 games taking place each match day, multiplied by the number of match days.

It just takes 1 of those people to carry the virus and transmit it. The cycle begins again.

Unless of course, they continually test everyone single of those people to confirm they are clear.
To be honest, there is more chance of that happening than testing all of the NHS staff that need it.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #1754 on: April 06, 2020, 12:56:00 PM »
If they play behind closed doors, in the event that we finish bottom 3, how can it possibly be deemed fair or supporting the integrity of the sport?

We have 6 home games left - 1 more than any of our rivals and 2 more in some cases.  Home games are invaluable and we are averaging double the points at home than we pick up away.  Why should we have that advantage taken away from us?  An advantage that all of our rivals have enjoyed more times than we have.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal