collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 746742 times)

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?
« Reply #1725 on: April 05, 2020, 08:00:22 PM »
Oh dear Wayne....
Smeone needs to tell you about millions being laid off and furloughed at 80% and many many self employed with no earnings at all coming in.

Where are all these people? Furloughing war introduced to stop millions being laid off, and seems to be working very well in that regard, and 95% of self employed people are being given up to £2,500 a month free money whether they're earning or not.

Offline BoVillan esq

« Reply #1726 on: April 05, 2020, 08:11:50 PM »
Oh dear Wayne....
Smeone needs to tell you about millions being laid off and furloughed at 80% and many many self employed with no earnings at all coming in.

Where are all these people? Furloughing war introduced to stop millions being laid off, and seems to be working very well in that regard, and 95% of self employed people are being given up to £2,500 a month free money whether they're earning or not.

There is no way in a million years this country can carry on financing a huge amount of population's income for anything more than a very short period of time, regardless of whatever money people are getting of the state, self employed or otherwise if they are not out there earning they are effectively laid off. 

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #1727 on: April 05, 2020, 08:16:17 PM »
Furlough is to all intents and purposes lay off, but you get 80% of your salary paid by the government rather than 5 days of rubbish Guarantee Payments.

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #1728 on: April 05, 2020, 09:22:08 PM »
Furlough is to all intents and purposes lay off, but you get 80% of your salary paid by the government rather than 5 days of rubbish Guarantee Payments.

And you walk straight back in to your job at the end of it.

So not at all like being laid off.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
« Reply #1729 on: April 05, 2020, 09:23:08 PM »
Laid off doesn’t mean being dismissed. It means being temporarily sent home due to lack of work.

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #1730 on: April 05, 2020, 09:38:27 PM »
Laid off doesn’t mean being dismissed. It means being temporarily sent home due to lack of work.

It does in my neck of the woods.

Having done a quick Google, turns out it's now used in both cases (if you believe Wikipedia).

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #1731 on: April 05, 2020, 09:42:15 PM »
I believe Richard E.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
« Reply #1732 on: April 05, 2020, 09:44:19 PM »
In fairness I think it’s used interchangeably in layman’s parlance these days and also means different things in different countries, but in this country ‘lay off’ is a legal term of art.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #1733 on: April 05, 2020, 11:09:24 PM »

If your job is still there, which is far from given.

Offline TheMalandro

• GM : 06.03.2016
« Reply #1734 on: April 05, 2020, 11:40:16 PM »

If your job is still there, which is far from given.

Very true.

The price we pay further down the line will be enormous.
Not that I'm criticising it. It's  necessary.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #1735 on: April 06, 2020, 06:37:14 AM »
Taylor's reason was the loss of £200 million in taxes - that is a small amount of tax loss

The number of people in the UK that are now paying tax on 80% or £2500 per month - the loss of tax on their normal earnings prior to being put on furlough leave is billions

Don't worry the premier league footballers will have there pay deferred unlike the rest of the nation who will just be glad to go back to their job, when they are allowed to.

Offline Ad@m

« Reply #1736 on: April 06, 2020, 06:43:52 AM »
I kind of get the PFA's angle though.

Obviously their primary concern is to their members - they're a union after all. But any pay cut just results in the UK government and the players paying money back to the clubs. What that's got to do with Matt Hancock I don't know.

The only way a pay cut makes sense, is if it's linked to a commitment from the clubs involved that they won't use the furlough scheme.

The other issue here is FFP. If clubs just carry on paying everyone in full with zero income coming in, even if the owners pay for it all, you'll see more potential breaches of FFP unless they change the rules.

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #1737 on: April 06, 2020, 07:54:51 AM »
I kind of get the PFA's angle though.

Obviously their primary concern is to their members - they're a union after all. But any pay cut just results in the UK government and the players paying money back to the clubs. What that's got to do with Matt Hancock I don't know.

The only way a pay cut makes sense, is if it's linked to a commitment from the clubs involved that they won't use the furlough scheme.

The other issue here is FFP. If clubs just carry on paying everyone in full with zero income coming in, even if the owners pay for it all, you'll see more potential breaches of FFP unless they change the rules.

Whichever way you cut it, it comes down to money and the clubs seem petrified the gravy train may be slowed down.

All of this is of course very different to the “integrity” of ensuring a season is completed.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #1738 on: April 06, 2020, 08:46:27 AM »
I would furlough the lot of them - that would give them all a reality check - see if they can cope on £2500 per month - then when/ if we restart the season lets see how many love playing for our club or how many are there just for the cash!

Reading yesterday that Burnley are going to run out of cash in August - they could have to make the furlough decision for their players, I don't see why any footballer should be treated differently to any guy or woman who goes to work.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #1739 on: April 06, 2020, 09:02:02 AM »
totally Sid - rapacious fuckwits. About time they owned their shit.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal