collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Hopadop
[Today at 09:57:22 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 09:49:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Risso
[Today at 09:46:02 PM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:45:14 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by TelfordVilla
[Today at 09:41:43 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by FrankyH
[Today at 09:34:28 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by dave shelley
[Today at 09:33:06 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by markeeeebeeee2005
[Today at 09:23:09 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 746886 times)

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?
« Reply #1680 on: April 04, 2020, 09:47:17 AM »
“Uefa, Europe’s football leagues and top clubs have emphasised their determination to complete the 2019-20 season despite the coronavirus shutdown, with Uefa saying it may not accept clubs into next season’s Champions League if they have not qualified in the normal way.

In a joint letter sent on Thursday night to Europe’s national FAs, leagues and top-division clubs, the Uefa president, Aleksander Ceferin, the chairman of the European Club Association, Andrea Agnelli, and Lars-Christer Olsson, the president of European Leagues, maintained that remaining club matches in national leagues and the Champions and Europa Leagues could be completed by playing into July and August. However they acknowledged the scale of the crisis means they do not expect to have a clear idea of how that may be done until mid-May at the earliest.“

From David Conn.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #1681 on: April 04, 2020, 09:54:16 AM »
And if the top clubs decide to sell their rights and form a new competition?

Offline aev

« Reply #1682 on: April 04, 2020, 09:57:52 AM »

Well a super league has been mooted for so long maybe this external shock will be the impetus for it. I assume however that their are contracts in place that need to be honoured?

Online Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #1683 on: April 04, 2020, 10:04:48 AM »

I'd like this.

Offline BoVillan esq

« Reply #1684 on: April 04, 2020, 10:55:43 AM »
The whole thing is simply being dictated to by money, which is pretty distasteful with everything going on around us.

Agree in fact its downright ugly, in fact I've read something this morning that's completely blown my mind, from a bloke called 'Graham Medley' for the Times, an apparent expert in infectious diseases, he's calling on the government to change course, change there strategy and to look again at the concept of 'herd immunity', to drop all restrictions, everything, re start everything and allow people to get infected as much as possible so we over time develop a complete natural immunity to this horrible virus.

Can't believe this guy, he's recommending this on the basis that the economy is breaking, people are running out of money and poverty will become rampant very soon, other side issues like mental health problems etc.

Money money money, the guy is an idiot, millions will die before you have sufficient people or hosts that will develop this immunity, basically what he is saying is we should wheedle out the weak let them die, reduce the population significantly and we end up with a virus that's harmless, what he's not saying is how long this will take to happen, the fact it will ravage all families, talk about damaging mental health and just how disgusting this will be for everybody watching relatives and friends driving of to hospitals unwell, 48 hours later getting a phone call to say the hospital is turning off the vent's to let them die, you never see then again.

The point is, the powers that 'Be' are now realising that the economy will be in such a state it will probably never recover for a generation if ever, my point is when we make decision about money over people lives we are way deeper in the shit than any virus can cause, but at least the FA would get there way, the season would restart, without question.   

Offline Damo70

« Reply #1685 on: April 04, 2020, 12:44:44 PM »
“Uefa, Europe’s football leagues and top clubs have emphasised their determination to complete the 2019-20 season despite the coronavirus shutdown, with Uefa saying it may not accept clubs into next season’s Champions League if they have not qualified in the normal way.

In a joint letter sent on Thursday night to Europe’s national FAs, leagues and top-division clubs, the Uefa president, Aleksander Ceferin, the chairman of the European Club Association, Andrea Agnelli, and Lars-Christer Olsson, the president of European Leagues, maintained that remaining club matches in national leagues and the Champions and Europa Leagues could be completed by playing into July and August. However they acknowledged the scale of the crisis means they do not expect to have a clear idea of how that may be done until mid-May at the earliest.“

From David Conn.

To be fair that is the exact immoral stance I would expect from UEFA.

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #1686 on: April 04, 2020, 12:59:52 PM »
Just lost 5-3 to Wolves with Konsa playing Jota on AVTV fifa.

Fifa John McGinn < Real John McGinn.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #1687 on: April 04, 2020, 01:05:01 PM »

Smith out!!!!

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #1688 on: April 04, 2020, 02:58:17 PM »

Our defending hasn't changed then.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #1689 on: April 04, 2020, 03:03:37 PM »

From David Conn.

It really is pretty fucking disgusting.

These people care about nothing but money.

Offline Brassneck

« Reply #1690 on: April 04, 2020, 04:48:28 PM »

From David Conn.

I'm sort of on the fence with it.

The money pumped in during the season enables clubs to run for the whole year round.

I get that if there is a chance to complete the season, most will want to do so.  Burnley announced today that they stand to lose £50 million if the season is voided.  It's probably money they don't have.  We would probably lose more.

For me, I accept that the leagues should aim to finish if possible (not at all costs or in a way to place anyone in danger).  We are very much in the unknown.  We don't know how long lock down or bans on public gatherings will last.  I have no issue with them keeping on postponing a decision.  I do think that as each day passes, it is less and less likely that the season can be completed.

I wonder whether lifting the ban on 3pm televised games has been introduced in case they can get some kind of behind closed doors system in place?  Again, I have no problem with this as long as it is safe.  It would not be possible to relegate teams though - How could they when we would be deprived of 6 home games compared to some teams 4?

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1691 on: April 04, 2020, 05:11:35 PM »

From David Conn.

I'm sort of on the fence with it.

The money pumped in during the season enables clubs to run for the whole year round.

I get that if there is a chance to complete the season, most will want to do so.  Burnley announced today that they stand to lose £50 million if the season is voided.  It's probably money they don't have.  We would probably lose more.

For me, I accept that the leagues should aim to finish if possible (not at all costs or in a way to place anyone in danger).  We are very much in the unknown.  We don't know how long lock down or bans on public gatherings will last.  I have no issue with them keeping on postponing a decision.  I do think that as each day passes, it is less and less likely that the season can be completed.

I wonder whether lifting the ban on 3pm televised games has been introduced in case they can get some kind of behind closed doors system in place?  Again, I have no problem with this as long as it is safe.  It would not be possible to relegate teams though - How could they when we would be deprived of 6 home games compared to some teams 4?

I don't disagree other than UEFA overstepped with the threat to remove teams from the european competitions. There was no need for that and all it really achieves is to encourage leagues to start up again quicker to ensure they keep their seat at the table, it's utterly irresponsible.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1692 on: April 04, 2020, 05:16:40 PM »
I realize this UEFA so logical thought goes out of the window. But you would think that they have played out a variety of scenarios tied to the circumstances across Europe at specific points in time. So instead of taking a hard line as indicated in that they activate each scenario accordingly and in doing so remain sensitive and compassionate to the realities that face people/countries/communities that will be decimated by this.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1693 on: April 04, 2020, 05:22:22 PM »
My guess it is Legal Posturing. Because they have contractual obligations with TV and Sponsors they need to be showing that they are doing all they can to meet these obligations.
Knowing they are morally bankrupt is nothing new.

Offline aev

« Reply #1694 on: April 04, 2020, 06:01:17 PM »
I also wonder how many industries that have been effectively locked down have decided to furlough lower paid staff (and therefore getting the government to pay them) whilst still paying their better paid staff full wages?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal