collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 754142 times)

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villas season ?
« Reply #1080 on: March 19, 2020, 09:58:15 AM »
The current sentiment by most seems to be to finish it however long it takes.  That means summer, autumn, winter whatever.  Sound nuts to me but I feel that's where we're heading.

Agreed, crazy and completely out of sync with everything else going on around us.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1081 on: March 19, 2020, 10:06:19 AM »
The current sentiment by most seems to be to finish it however long it takes.  That means summer, autumn, winter whatever.  Sound nuts to me but I feel that's where we're heading.

Agreed, crazy and completely out of sync with everything else going on around us.
By the time they are able to start playing again this season will be some time in the past. Say it is a year, then I suppose they could proceed as if nothing has happened and lose the 20/21 season.

Offline aev

« Reply #1082 on: March 19, 2020, 10:12:58 AM »
Another thing, presumably players are going to be getting this at different stages over the next 3 months. You could well end up with severely weakened teams even in August.

Online OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #1083 on: March 19, 2020, 10:18:25 AM »
Now they’ve suspended the season because of players getting the virus then surely they cannot re-start before every team is 100% clear. The precedent has been set.

That’s even when junior squad players test positive. One out all out, that’s the precedent.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1084 on: March 19, 2020, 10:27:04 AM »
Now they’ve suspended the season because of players getting the virus then surely they cannot re-start before every team is 100% clear. The precedent has been set.

That’s even when junior squad players test positive. One out all out, that’s the precedent.
Then you are waiting for a vaccine or a point when significant numbers have had it and are immune. That would seem to be a long way off.

Offline Luffbralion

« Reply #1085 on: March 19, 2020, 10:28:32 AM »
I see Sky are completely being impartial by getting the views of Jamie Redknapp, Phil Thompson and John Barnes!

Can't do a link but the Times has an article stating that the league table would finish up with exactly the current positions, factoring form, quality of opposition, depth of squad, etc. It's based on a sophisticated algorithm designed by the analytics experts you have cited.

Offline aev

« Reply #1086 on: March 19, 2020, 10:31:05 AM »
I can only imagine the chaos behind the scenes. It is bad enough at my work just trying to get stuff sorted out.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1087 on: March 19, 2020, 10:35:13 AM »
I can only imagine the chaos behind the scenes. It is bad enough at my work just trying to get stuff sorted out.
The “how the fuck can they survive without any revenue” question must be taxing their brains right now.
Just as it is for Businesses all over the world.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1088 on: March 19, 2020, 10:35:55 AM »
I see Sky are completely being impartial by getting the views of Jamie Redknapp, Phil Thompson and John Barnes!

Can't do a link but the Times has an article stating that the league table would finish up with exactly the current positions, factoring form, quality of opposition, depth of squad, etc. It's based on a sophisticated algorithm designed by the analytics experts you have cited.
But they havent factored in the return of SJM, all but guaranteeing us a 10 game winning run.  If they don't allocate us a UEFA spot I'd be furious.

Online OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #1089 on: March 19, 2020, 10:37:46 AM »

Then you are waiting for a vaccine or a point when significant numbers have had it and are immune. That would seem to be a long way off.

Yes it would but they set the precedent when Arteta and the Chelsea player tested positive. This was before any Government restrictions. So to restart the circumstances must have improved on those when you suspended. The ‘bad light theory’ to use a cricketing analogy.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 10:40:43 AM by OzVilla »

Offline Towser

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #1090 on: March 19, 2020, 10:44:44 AM »
I cant see how football will resume in the way we know it this year. If they want to resume this season the only way really is to cancel next season and play whats left of this season maybe commencing next March, maybe playing a pre season against lower league clubs in Jan/ Feb, other than that my own view is this season should be expunged from the records and we start again in a new season whenever that may be.

Lawsuits from relegated teams that have not played all games will out weigh those from teams not promoted, for exactly the same reasons, who says those clubs would have been relegated any more than who says those clubs currently in promotion positions would be promoted? plus, if thats what the Premier League decide, the Championship (and lower leagues) can't do anything about it anyway, can they?

It still doesn't sort the situation of players contracts and transfer windows etc.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1091 on: March 19, 2020, 11:02:46 AM »
So... we have had years of moaning about how precious footballers can't cope with the demands of football.

League Cup replays abolished, two leg matches scrapped until the semi-finals, European qualifiers exempted from entrance until the last thirty-two, still lots of moaning and first team players nearly always rested till the latter stages.

FA Cup multiple replays abolished and single replays abolished from an earlier round seemingly every year. Still lots of moaning and first team players nearly always rested till the latter stages.

Premier League reduced from 22 to 20 teams. Midseason break introduced. Still lots of moaning about how unfair it is that players still sometimes have to play more than one league game a week, especially at Christmas.

We've had years of being told that players are overworked and need resting.

Now, suddenly the Premier League and Sky might lose a few quid.

Play through the summer. Play every week and midweek if need be. Tough shit.

Play till the end of June then straight into preseason in July. Tired? Tough shit.

Have no real break from whenever play resumes until July next year after the Euros. Tough shit.

Players haven't been able to train for weeks and will be nowhere near fit to return for action? Tough shit.

Several players have been sick and entire teams may have had to self-isolate. Tough shit.

The government advises against all non-essential travel. Our profits ARE essential. Tough shit.

The hypocrisy is staggering.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 11:04:58 AM by cdbullyweefan »

Offline Behind Bluenose Lines

• Location: Hanging on in Quiet Desperation During a Global Pandemic
  • GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #1092 on: March 19, 2020, 11:21:00 AM »
When you consider the thousands of kids that have been working towards something for 2 years and the government has decided to cancel the exams it does seem at odds with footballs desire to complete a season at all costs.
My youngest nephew's in that situation with his A levels. Apparently predicted grades being used as "results" for taking up uni places, etc is being discussed

I'm just staggered that there is any talk about this season continuing. If Liverpool weren't so far ahead of everyone else, would there really be a discussion? Or am I being extremely naive??

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1093 on: March 19, 2020, 11:35:10 AM »
So... we have had years of moaning about how precious footballers can't cope with the demands of football.

League Cup replays abolished, two leg matches scrapped until the semi-finals, European qualifiers exempted from entrance until the last thirty-two, still lots of moaning and first team players nearly always rested till the latter stages.

FA Cup multiple replays abolished and single replays abolished from an earlier round seemingly every year. Still lots of moaning and first team players nearly always rested till the latter stages.

Premier League reduced from 22 to 20 teams. Midseason break introduced. Still lots of moaning about how unfair it is that players still sometimes have to play more than one league game a week, especially at Christmas.

We've had years of being told that players are overworked and need resting.

Now, suddenly the Premier League and Sky might lose a few quid.

Play through the summer. Play every week and midweek if need be. Tough shit.

Play till the end of June then straight into preseason in July. Tired? Tough shit.

Have no real break from whenever play resumes until July next year after the Euros. Tough shit.

Players haven't been able to train for weeks and will be nowhere near fit to return for action? Tough shit.

Several players have been sick and entire teams may have had to self-isolate. Tough shit.

The government advises against all non-essential travel. Our profits ARE essential. Tough shit.

The hypocrisy is staggering.
They're not saying any of this.  They're just saying the season should be completed, whenever that may be.  The probability is that will be some time in the autumn or new year.  It's not about money, it's about trying to be fair to all clubs.

I can think of loads of reasons why I think this is impractical and it would be better to void the league and start again, but frankly if they do chose to finish it then it's not about money it's about integrity.

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #1094 on: March 19, 2020, 11:51:49 AM »
It is only about money - if there was any vestige of integrity they would have already announced the voiding of the season. Football is a business like any other and is driven by money, cash flow, profit and loss. Other businesses and their employees are facing an uncertain future, football is no different. You seem to be willfully trying to defend the indefensible - the only thing that matters at the moment is public safety and welfare.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal