collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villa's season?  (Read 754092 times)

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
Re: How much will Coronavirus (COVID-19) impact Aston Villas season ?
« Reply #1065 on: March 19, 2020, 01:45:25 AM »

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #1066 on: March 19, 2020, 07:13:03 AM »
If these fuckers prioritize profit before people today then I am never attending another game

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #1067 on: March 19, 2020, 07:47:31 AM »
I’ve a lot of sympathy with that position. It seems perverse for the papers to be still full of stories of players moving for hundreds of millions of pounds and earning further millions in wages. It could however, be a viewed as a sign of welcome normalcy returning, however starkly perverse that normalcy now appears.

Do we need football to give us back our highly paid heroes as an escape or do we need it to show solidarity with the hardships coming ?

Offline aev

• GM : 01.09.2024
« Reply #1068 on: March 19, 2020, 08:02:19 AM »
When you consider the thousands of kids that have been working towards something for 2 years and the government has decided to cancel the exams it does seem at odds with footballs desire to complete a season at all costs.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1069 on: March 19, 2020, 08:27:11 AM »
If these fuckers prioritize profit before people today then I am never attending another game
I'm not sure that trying to conclude the season has anything to do with profit - if anything it could mean the cancellation of next season and all the cash it brings.

Whilst I still think they should draw a line under this season and try to have as normal a season as possible next year, I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that things may well not be back to normality until late this year maybe even early next year. If they do chose to finish this season whenever football returns then next season can't really happen.  It sounds ridiculous given player contracts, transfer windows etc, but I suspect that's what some people are pushing for.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #1070 on: March 19, 2020, 08:36:53 AM »

...For me the footballing decisions tomorrow have to come with much needed wisdom and sense...

Unfortunately, the football authorities have not demonstrated these characteristics much in the past; here's hoping!

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1071 on: March 19, 2020, 08:40:00 AM »
I see Sky are completely being impartial by getting the views of Jamie Redknapp, Phil Thompson and John Barnes! 

Offline Dave P

« Reply #1072 on: March 19, 2020, 08:45:43 AM »
Nothing concrete will come out of the meeting today I'm sure.  I'd say that all that will come out of today is a extension of the delay until late April and a "we will review the situation closer to the time".  I can't see how they can do anything else.  But to finish 9/10 league games plus 3 rounds of the FA Cup and European competition by June 30th, they'll need to realistically start by the end of April.

The 30th June has to be an absolute cut off and new season rules start 1st July. 

I'm sort of glad the meeting is today and not last week as it's given everybody time to absorb the scale and seriousness of the situation and put everything in perspective.  No-one can be put in danger to ensure someone wins a trophy!

Offline aev

« Reply #1073 on: March 19, 2020, 08:55:21 AM »
Nothing concrete will come out of the meeting today I'm sure.  I'd say that all that will come out of today is a extension of the delay until late April and a "we will review the situation closer to the time".  I can't see how they can do anything else.  But to finish 9/10 league games plus 3 rounds of the FA Cup and European competition by June 30th, they'll need to realistically start by the end of April.

The 30th June has to be an absolute cut off and new season rules start 1st July. 

I'm sort of glad the meeting is today and not last week as it's given everybody time to absorb the scale and seriousness of the situation and put everything in perspective.  No-one can be put in danger to ensure someone wins a trophy!

I think they seem keen to potentially play over the summer.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 09:14:38 AM by aev »

Offline mr underhill

« Reply #1074 on: March 19, 2020, 09:12:11 AM »
anyone thinking that money doesn't rule here is being very naive - of course it does to the broadcasters sponsors clubs players etc etc. i stand by what i said earlier - cancel and take the financial ramifications in the same way as millions of others are going to have to do.

Offline Dave P

« Reply #1075 on: March 19, 2020, 09:20:11 AM »

I think they seem to potentially play over the summer.

Hence the announced June 30th cut off.  Past July 1st presents problems with contracts and preparations for a (hopefully) full and uninterrupted season next year.

Offline aev

« Reply #1076 on: March 19, 2020, 09:21:52 AM »
Appreciate that but I reckon they are looking beyond this.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #1077 on: March 19, 2020, 09:44:10 AM »
That’s the key question and always has been? What’s the cut off date. If it’s 30th June I think it’s over. If it’s open ended post 30th June it’ll be completed but then the next season will be out of sync etc, etc.

If the title race was close it would be voided imo. 'The Mighty Reds YNWA' being so far ahead and also being potentially their first Title since Jesus played centre forward for Nazareth Primary means the media has swung behind to work as one to prevent this  potential ’injustice’.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1078 on: March 19, 2020, 09:56:22 AM »
I’ve a lot of sympathy with that position. It seems perverse for the papers to be still full of stories of players moving for hundreds of millions of pounds and earning further millions in wages. It could however, be a viewed as a sign of welcome normalcy returning, however starkly perverse that normalcy now appears.

Do we need football to give us back our highly paid heroes as an escape or do we need it to show solidarity with the hardships coming ?
Normalcy FFS

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1079 on: March 19, 2020, 09:56:30 AM »
The current sentiment by most seems to be to finish it however long it takes.  That means summer, autumn, winter whatever.  Sound nuts to me but I feel that's where we're heading.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal